Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh here is a fresh one............ not yet on the shelves!

Hahn White.............again for the Hahn plebs googling for interest..... Hahn White. Read up plebs, here is my opinion!

Its a whitbier style....... nowhere near hoegaarden........ it lacks that fluffy wheat mouth feel, it lacks any yeast character at all.
It has a slightly hazy apperance which is suprising for a mega swill brand. flavour of orange and corriander tastes like chemical perfume and is way to strong. It needs to be half to ballance the beer. Its like a amack in the face to be honnest, it doesnt become tiring through the glass. However, i wouldnt be able to drink more than 2 of these in a row.

I took a 4 pack of Hoe's to the kind LN employee's place to try after i was given these to try. He has not had a Whitbier before but does have a love for fine craft beers and fine wines. He said..... why cant Hahn brew a beer like this???
I mentioned this coment to a brewing workmate of mine today (goathearder) and he said the obvious...... they can but wont!

I agree!

Its going to be marketed to be drank with a wedge of orange as aposed to a wedge of lemon as is usual with tasteless beers. This beer aint tasteless...... just the taste is a tad overdone, and tastes a bit fake like its from a bottle, not from real fruit and spice.

All in all..... its not a bad effort from a megaswill mob to market an unusual style to the Australian public. It not something i will buy but it will be interesting to see how it goes and if it changes. I now have a reference :)

cheers

Found a stubby of this in Dan's last week and bought it out of curiosity. Had it last night while cleaning the pool. Left the suggested orange slice out of it this time.
My verdict: Well, it's definitely no Hoegaarden, and it seems pretty weak, but the basic belgian wheat flavour is there.
I reckon if you put this next to other tasteless Low-carb beers this would be my choice if I was thirsty. If I saw this on tap at the local, I'll be keen to give it another try, this time with the orange.

Found this on tap @ Cohi Bar in Darling Harbour on Saturday night. Right next to Monteiths Sparkling Ale.
After a slightly better than average but not fantastic Monteiths, I went for the white... The barman cut a thick wedge of orange for it, and far out it was too much. I reckon the fruit ruined it.
Later on the Monteiths ran out <_< ... so luckily they had some overpriced LCPA in the fridge.

IMG_20110303_00028.jpg

My haul today (im in the US). First time for all except gonzo. And the best thing is that there was a home brew shop right next to the bottlo. 7 keg connects and 1lb of cascade for $50.

cheers
Andrew.

:icon_drool2:

Ruination.... how I love thee..

great haul, very jealous

A few newbies

Croucher Pale Ale - a really wonderful pale that shows off nz cascade really well. I liked everything about this beer I encourage you to buy one if you spot it.

Fursty Ferret - another great beer, I suppose it is an english bitter. great malt, the low carbonation suits the beer. I was expecting a gimmick, but I got an enjoyable pint

Banana Bread Beer - more gimmick than beer. I don't know how they get the banana in the beer, but it is banana lolly flavour and does not suit my tastes at all. i love banana ester in my weizens, but a hefe this is not. i won't be buying another.

Deus - Well for the hype and the price I expected this to knock my proverbial socks off. Whilst an intriguing concept, the beer really just tasted like a good Belgian blonde to me. The high carbonation gave some interesting mouth feel, I was surprised that the beer was not crystal clear due to the disengorging process. the yeast note gave it a creamy taste somewhat. strong alcohol hit too. An enjoyable beer, but I won't be going there again, unless someone buys it for me.

Croucher_APA.JPG

Badger___Fursty_Ferret.JPG

Wells___Banana_Bread_Beer.JPG

Deus_Opened.JPG

Banana Bread Beer - more gimmick than beer. I don't know how they get the banana in the beer, but it is banana lolly flavour and does not suit my tastes at all. i love banana ester in my weizens, but a hefe this is not. i won't be buying another.

I really liked this beer when I tried it about 5 months ago, all the flavours seemed to meld quite well, reminded me of Wyeast 3068 straight away. But yeah I agree, it's a bit of a lolly/essence flavour, which they probably would have been better off using 3068 instead

Is that 30th Ann. bottle the Ken & Fritz Ale? If so that'd be my pick of the bunch. I really dug the Bear Republic one too. Hop Devil is a very nice beer if you completely ignore the name/marketing - nice little beer but certainly nothing overly aggressive by (its) local standards. Enjoy your trip/binge, Gulpa. I'm jealous as.

Is that 30th Ann. bottle the Ken & Fritz Ale? If so that'd be my pick of the bunch. I really dug the Bear Republic one too. Hop Devil is a very nice beer if you completely ignore the name/marketing - nice little beer but certainly nothing overly aggressive by (its) local standards. Enjoy your trip/binge, Gulpa. I'm jealous as.

Hi Bum,

Its the 30th , charlie, fred and ken's bock. Sorry for the crappy blackberry photo. That the first one that I chose to drink :beer: . Just finishing it off now.

Big malty aroma. slight sherry like tones that hint at a bit of age. No noticable hop aroma.
Hazy deep gold colour, with a tight small head.
Flavour is all about sweet malt. Lovely malt. Some fruityness like you get from big munich grain bill. Firm bitterness here as one would expect with a SN beer but really well balanced. Off dry finish. A really lovely beer that I would happily drink quite a bit of.

I only bought the victory because I made the clone from Beer Captured a couple of years back.

I realised while sitting and contemplating the SN that I forgot to go back to the import isle and pick up some $7 thomas hardy ales. Looks like I will need to make another trip.

cheers
Andrew.

Sorry, no photo. Enjoying a Little Creatures East Kent Goldings SB. Tasty. Although the SB Oatmeal Stout that came before it i did like more.

John Boston Premium Lager
Supposedly an all malt beer, with 'no additives or preservatives'...
Very pale in colour and lacking a little in, well everything. It isn't super bland but it isn't far from it. I'm finding it a little on the sweet side overall, definitely doesn't finish as dry as I'd expect.
It tastes a little like an extract lager (not saying you can't make good ones, just it has a residual body that reminds me of extract lagers where I always struggled to get the beer to finish as low as I'd like)
According to the blurb the original version of this was made with Cape Gooseberries but now uses local hops and I can't help but feel it would have been more interesting in it's former incarnation.

View attachment 44587

I can't help but feel that the name and the font and colours remind me a lot of this...
View attachment 44588

Yeah, Bconnery, I thoroughly agree with that. And given the design of the case packaging, I would go so far as to say that it is even contrived to obfuscate, intending to catch people either wanting to buy Sam Adams, or thinking it is Sam Adams at a better price "ohhh, that was that beer we liked that time, Boston something..." I tried it today as well and thought it was pretty terrible. And I think the whole historical angle is pretty rich, seeing as the address on the bottle is Ultimo.

Gulpa - rock and roll buddy!!! I am very very jealous.

And tonight I had an Orval which tasted youndg and a little dull, I wanted the brett. I also had a Liefmans Goudenband, well, I gave one to GF and sipped on it. WOW what an awesome beer, it is like a medley of fruits which have been dried by angels on golden sunbeams, I could not believe the balance of complexity and approachability. I want more.

Croucher Pale Ale - a really wonderful pale that shows off nz cascade really well. I liked everything about this beer I encourage you to buy one if you spot it.
Have you tried the Pilsner yet? It won Champion International Lager at BeerNz last Year. One of the best that I have had, not affiliated

Mikeller (sp?) 1000 IBU @ the sail & anchor.

Wow.... Just WOW.. I am eating hops.

Coopers Pale last night at The Earl ( The Ale House )
web.jpg

and a causal beer up on the River a couple of weeks ago ( Mrs was having a whine as usual ;) )
web.jpg

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale
The Beer Mason's Blurb described this as an American Wheat so when I grabbed it out of the fridge without further reading and poured it I expected something light on the malt but with a little hop hit, an easy drinking summer beer for the first of the evening. One sip had me heading back for the label to discover I was drinking a 7% 60+IBU beer with a delicious hop flavour.
Really nice beer but a far cry from any American Wheat I've had so far...

The oily juicy hop flavour dominated without being overbalanced, once I got over the mental block of what I had been expecting.

View attachment 44743

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale
The Beer Mason's Blurb described this as an American Wheat so when I grabbed it out of the fridge without further reading and poured it I expected something light on the malt but with a little hop hit, an easy drinking summer beer for the first of the evening. One sip had me heading back for the label to discover I was drinking a 7% 60+IBU beer with a delicious hop flavour.
Really nice beer but a far cry from any American Wheat I've had so far...

The oily juicy hop flavour dominated without being overbalanced, once I got over the mental block of what I had been expecting.

View attachment 44743

Hahaha.. a bit O/T but this is pretty much what I've brewed for the HUB brewing challenge. I called it 'The Hoptart', an Imperial American Wheat, if you like...

Latest posts

Back