Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just My Opinion........... the 8 is way better than the 10. I had an 8 last night. I dont buy the 10 any more. Its great too, but a bit too much if you knoiw what i mean.

The 8 is just sooooooooooo well ballanced.

Will be interested in you views.

do inform of your findings!

cheers

Rochefort 10 (I took notes while sipping away this afternoon)

Aroma of yeasty esters/fruitiness, with hints of chocolate and a deep maltiness. Mouthfeel is pillowy/fluffy/creamy, feels like lots of tiny bubbles, with a flavour explosion. Taste is deep malt/caramel up front with a hint of licorice. This blends into chocolate malt with an alcohol warmth (which is vaguely spiritous) and alcohol drying. No hops detected. Aftertaste is neutral at first, but by the end the alcohol is becoming predominant and nearly overbearing. With a less alcohol fume this would be a 10. I'll give it a 9.5.

I'm getting a goat rogan josh on now so after that and when the kids are in bed I'll bung out the Rochefort 8 and give that a go :) - really looking forward to that.

Rochefort_10_cropped.jpg

Rochefort 8 (my tasting notes):

Aroma is of malt, with faint chocolate, no yeast or hops discernable. Head is small, thick but not as fluffy or full as the 10.

Mouthfeel is fluffy/creamy, however no taste explosion like the 10.

Taste is deep crystal malty, with muted chocolate and a hint of licorice, followed by a slight alcohol warmth and a lingering finish of earthy hop bitterness that sticks around. After a full glass the alcohol was not overbearing, this is one seriously good beer.

I don't want to compare it to the 10 as they're kind of different beers, they're similar but different... I reckon the 10 is more a 'showcase' beer with those crazy monks saying "that's what we CAN brew" but the 8 is a more drinkable and balanced one. Overall I think this is 9.5 out of 10 beer, it's a seriously good one. WIll be hard to drink Chimay now!!

Rochefort_8_cropped.jpg

Could resist after seeing the name.

Wifes_Bitter_007.jpg
My Wifes Bitter by Burleigh Brewing
Solid sort of English bitter; nice caramelly, biscuit malt, good marmalade-y hops with a firm bitterness.
Ticks in all boxes for me!

My first kwak in my new kwak glass :

what a beer. drank it at about 5c. so smooth, warm, belgiany. bloody beaudifull!

excuse the blurry pic i'd had a few.

DSC00876.JPG

Brewdog 5am saint : Amber Ale my ass - more like an amber looking ale that someone has misplaced 5kg of hops in! loved every second of it, Brewdog sure do it in style! or should that be out of style?

DSC00884.JPG

Flying Dog - The Gonzo Imperial PORTER inspired by Hunter S Thompson - saw the pic on the bottle and had to try it, most people know i dont mind a bit of fear n loatheing.

Fantstic beer - cant remember much cause we were obvisouly on the tail end of a session (hunter would be proud) but bloody hell it was good. Loads of malt, i remember smelling it and it smelling like i had just mashed in. Wicked beer at 8.5% i think

edit - its a Imp porter not a RIS.

DSC00885.JPG

That there is one of my all time fave beers, Fents... I've brewed a clone recipe about 5 times now, and am getting pretty close. Last episode just needed a bit more vanilla characteristic from the yeast/alcohol and I've one in the cube ready to be fermented to try the latest rendition of the recipe

flick me a recipe when your happy with it schooey.

Took a quick trip up to Lobethal this afternoon :icon_drool2:

DSC_0170.JPG

Been to my favourite beer shop in Genova (Italy) again...hope to post a few more beers over the next few days.

Birrificio Barley Tvi Tvi

gallery_1950_543_714.jpg

Apparently this is a Saison, but at the high end at 6.2%. I'm afraid that I can't do much better than the marketing speak on the label (translated thanks to Google and some reasonably poor Italian skills):

"Nicola Perra, always with an international view, gives us a special, drinkable blonde ale. An enchanting appearance, creamy head that laces beautifully, the Tvi Tvi aroma strikes us with citrus, notes of cedar and spice reminiscent of cardamom and sandalwood, accompanied by the earthy scent of liquorice roots and elderberry flowers, chamomile and woodruff. Exploding on the palate are flavors of elderberry honey, ripe apricot and tropical fruit, with herbaceous, citrus, resinous and balsamic after taste which will make you fall in love with the beer. Very refreshing, will pair perfectly at the table with lamb and goat."

There's not much in there to disagree with, and I have nothing to add. I wish all beer labels were this descriptive (although with all the references to elderberry, I was wondering whether its mother was a hamster)!

Edit: lame Holy Grail reference

Flying Dog - The Gonzo Imperial PORTER inspired by Hunter S Thompson - saw the pic on the bottle and had to try it, most people know i dont mind a bit of fear n loatheing.

Fantstic beer - cant remember much cause we were obvisouly on the tail end of a session (hunter would be proud) but bloody hell it was good. Loads of malt, i remember smelling it and it smelling like i had just mashed in. Wicked beer at 8.5% i think

edit - its a Imp porter not a RIS.

Should be tucking into one of these from the tap at the Wheaty on Wednesday afternoon :icon_drool2: .

I agree it's a great beer.

C&B
TDA

Birra Almond '22 Torbata

med_gallery_1950_543_14257.jpg

Believe it or not, a Barley Wine made from peat smoked malt (along with organic sugar and honey)!! The Italians seem to be obsessed with smoked malts at the moment, right across the spectrum. Most that I have encountered so far have been from the subtle to the sublimely balanced end of the spectrum. This one goes right over the top, smacking you in the face with phenolic smokiness. Initially on the palate it is astringent and dry almost to the point of acridity. At first I suspected a hot ferment (fusels) and a bad infection (phenolics), until I read the label and worked out that the beer was made from peat malt. Deciding it was safe to continue, the beer started to grow on me, my palate adjusted to the smoke, and I was able to pick out more subtle hints of coffee, chocolate and honey. The Almond '22 website suggests this beer would go well with a cigar and dark chocolate. Can't argue with that! Beginning to wonder if smoke is the new hops in Italy. I suspect that soon we will be branding people "smokeheads".

Birra Almond '22 Torbata

med_gallery_1950_543_14257.jpg

Believe it or not, a Barley Wine made from peat smoked malt (along with organic sugar and honey)!! The Italians seem to be obsessed with smoked malts at the moment, right across the spectrum. Most that I have encountered so far have been from the subtle to the sublimely balanced end of the spectrum. This one goes right over the top, smacking you in the face with phenolic smokiness. Initially on the palate it is astringent and dry almost to the point of acridity. At first I suspected a hot ferment (fusels) and a bad infection (phenolics), until I read the label and worked out that the beer was made from peat malt. Deciding it was safe to continue, the beer started to grow on me, my palate adjusted to the smoke, and I was able to pick out more subtle hints of coffee, chocolate and honey. The Almond '22 website suggests this beer would go well with a cigar and dark chocolate. Can't argue with that! Beginning to wonder if smoke is the new hops in Italy. I suspect that soon we will be branding people "smokeheads".

Interesting concept.
Was it really purple coloured, or is it just my crappy screen?

I was saving these for my sisters engagement party this weekend but found myself at a loose end last Saturday night. You know how it is..
Note how the decanting seems to get progressively worse.
I bought that oriental larger beer with rice in it for a giggle but was pleasantly suprised. Not real big on flavour, but nice and refreshing.

DSC05727.jpg
DSC05650-1.jpg

DSC05649-1.jpg
DSC05651.jpg

DSC05652-1.jpg

Interesting concept.
Was it really purple coloured, or is it just my crappy screen?

Heh...I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I think it might have been a trick of the light. It was reddish, but not as purple as it photo suggests. The lighting source in my hotel room is incandescent with a lamp shade that gives off an bit of an orange hue. Makes for a sexy photo, but clearly it's distorting colour a little. Also, I tried to move this shot a further from the lamp to avoid getting the lamp in the top left of the shot, which seems to have added to the distortion.

OK...last one from Italy for this trip....Toccalmatto Caf Racer

med_gallery_1950_543_5164.jpg

Just like an Italian espresso, only beery!! At only 4.2% ABV, this is a great flavourful session beer. Think Dragonhead with even more coffee flavour. Maybe a touch aqueous, bit very drinkable.

Back