Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorted out some pics from the trip. Here's a couple of my favourites and some incidental pics. Most pics taken with borrowed cameras in poor light conditions.

What an awesome trip, Bum. Mouthwatering. Jealous, I am.

Good stuff there Bum. I will be heading from Portland/Newport to SF/LA later in the year and trying to get as much west coast goodness as I can manage in 10 days.

Porter_zywiec.jpg
\
OK, not my pic

Got a 6 pack for $25, seems like money well spent. While this is not amazing, it is pretty darn good.

Please excuse picture quality - my mobile also doubles as a webcam from 1997.

James Squire Malt Runner - Looks like coke. Pours with a pretty big aroma of slightly sweet malt, a little roastiness and a bit of choc. Quite promising. On tasting, however, all you get is a watery, thin sorta nothingness. Aftertaste is pretty much exactly like the aroma so it's not a complete waste.

22052010.jpg

Its saturday night........ there are only 2 nights of the week i can try a beer like this!

Friday and saturday as i dont have to work the next day!

Pictures will say most but hod damn its a massive beer. Its quite thin bodied for a beer of 18.2%, their video blog saying they feed it with sugar ever 4 hrs for 2 weeks or somehing like that. I can taste the sugar in the alcahol but its quickly erased by the roast, and fruit from all the other stuff they added in, plus the oak adds a sweetness and complexity thats only evident in the mouth long after you have sipped.

On tasting you get an aroma of fruit, roast and alcahol, in the mouth its creamy smooth and burns a bit at first like scotch on the rocks, but subsides into an assult of flavours that change as your mouth tingles with the alcahol. Sweet fruit and roast, sweet alcahol, perhaps he jasmine and then the bitterness kicks in as the mouth adjusts to the alcahol, giving a sweet and sour kind of hit. Its really out there i tell ya.

The finnish is looooooooooooong and a glass will last you an hour or more no prolems

This is the strongest beer i have ever had and posibly will ever have and i really like it. I wont buy it again but im really gald i paid the cash for it. Definatly something any brewer who likes to venture into the extremes should try!

tokyo2.jpg

tokyofrontlabel.jpg

Tokyorearlabel.jpg

Im going numb!

I cant feel my face :huh:

Definatly something any brewer who likes to venture into the extremes should try!

I like to think this is me - not so much in my brewing yet (as I'm still very much a novice) but I do try to push myself in what I drink.

I tried this beer on tap and I have to say I got very little of what you're talking about above. The venue was in California and state laws forced them to sell this beer in glasses no bigger than a pony due to the high alc content and it was dear as poison so maybe the keg was older than I am (but with alc this high I can't see the beer going "bad" any time soon). Here are excerpts from my possibly alcohol effected tasting notes:

Aroma: Nail polish remover.

Flavour: Tastes just like it smells. No shit. Tore my throat up.

I did go on to make more sensible and detailed remarks but that is still very much the impression I took away from this beer. I have no idea where you're getting jasmine from.

Here are a few others i have tried:

Brew Dog Hardcore IPA. This was a great beer. Hops dominate all and puckering bitterness. I swear the head was green when i poured it..... maybe i was seeing things?

HardcoreIPA1248x832.jpg

Landlord...... no more to say other than my first bottle!

Landlord1248x832.jpg

Brew Dog Paradox Isle of Arran........ 10% stout aged for 6 months in oak casks, this one was roasty stout with a sweet single malt oak backbone that lasted long into the finnish. A fantastic beer!

ParadoxIsleofArran1728x1152.jpg

Brew Dog Paradox Smokehead........ 10% stout aged for 6 months in oak casks, this one was roasty stout with a massive finnish of peat smoked malt. I really love my peated whiskey and this blew me away. i near creamed my shorts when i smelt it in the bottle. perfectly ballanced stout and you have almost no taste of the peat for about 10 seconds after a mouthfull......... then..... WHAM! it hits you with smoke, sweet oak and roast malt!

What an awsome beer. One of my favorite beers of all time.

Paradoxsmokehead832x1248.jpg

I also have a love afair with Samuel Smith's beers. They can do no wrong. They just have this meaty mineral rich texture to them that i love. Plus they taste great.

I had the IPA a while back, and the Oatmeal stout was shared with my little bro and no pics were taken...... we were too busy oohing and ahhhing.

The taddy porter was no disapointment. Rich, malty, chocolate and a touch of sweet to ballance, its a great beer that i will revisit again and again..... as i will the oatmeal stout!

SamualSmithTaddyPorter832x1248.jpg

And the Old Brewery Pale Ale....... not my favorite of the range but a bloody nice beer. typical of any good english bitter but with the added Sammy smith mineral texture...... loved it!

SamuelSmithOldBreweryPaleAle1248x83.jpg

When i was in Mudgee for work i found this at the woolworths bottlo. I got the few bottles that were left and was glad i did. Tasted of good old Guinness but a bit bigger at 5%. Sitting back in the motell it went down well. I saved one to bring home for a photo to share.

Guinness2501152x1728.jpg

And Vitus.......... how would i live without Wiehenstephaner????????

Vitus1152x1728.jpg

I like to think this is me - not so much in my brewing yet (as I'm still very much a novice) but I do try to push myself in what I drink.

I tried this beer on tap and I have to say I got very little of what you're talking about above. The venue was in California and state laws forced them to sell this beer in glasses no bigger than a pony due to the high alc content and it was dear as poison so maybe the keg was older than I am (but with alc this high I can't see the beer going "bad" any time soon). Here are excerpts from my possibly alcohol effected tasting notes:

I did go on to make more sensible and detailed remarks but that is still very much the impression I took away from this beer. I have no idea where you're getting jasmine from.

Yeah the alcahol did cut a bit......... it made the beer a bit harsh at first but i found as it warmed up and with small sips..... it was quite complex and full of flavour.

I enjoyed it...... but that doesnt mean everyone will like it.

I would rank it as up there with cantillion extreme.......... love or hate kind of drink!

I hated cantillion........ tasted like lemon urine to me but others will crawl over broken glass and hot coals for a glass.......... thats the wonderfull world of beer and i love it!

cheers

I enjoyed it...... but that doesnt mean everyone will like it.

[snip] love or hate kind of drink!

[snip] thats the wonderfull world of beer and i love it!

Not arguing with any of that and you're right - it's not just the varied styles and depths within each style that makes beer awesome but also the different ways we all approach them. I guess one of the things that I like about this thread is the opportunity to talk about specific beers - I wasn't in any way posting a correction or similar, just my own experience of this beer. Don't want to step on anyone's toes.

For the record I did give it a chance to warm up to see if I'd enjoy it more (as a matter of fact this beer can be seen in the right-hand side of the picture I posted of the Old Rasputin RIS a few posts back which was a few rounds later). I was trying it all night and I never found a sweet-spot for this beer.

When i was in Mudgee for work i found this at the woolworths bottlo. I got the few bottles that were left and was glad i did. Tasted of good old Guinness but a bit bigger at 5%. Sitting back in the motell it went down well. I saved one to bring home for a photo to share.

Guinness2501152x1728.jpg

And Vitus.......... how would i live without Wiehenstephaner????????

Tony, are they pH buffer solutions behind that Guiness? What are you doing with them!

Dylo

Tried a 'Stone & Wood' Draught Ale the other night. Apparently it was a new brew from a mob in Byron. It was quite different. Not sure what Hop combo they used but it smelt like a glass of fruit juice and tasted extremly pine-appley. Not too bad at all.

This is from a recent trip to Germany. Gotta say i think they all tasted nice though the memory is a little fuzzy after drinking that middle one...

01072009309.jpg

GB10_009.jpg
Bridge Roads Imperial Oak Aged Porter
Names a bit of a mouthful, and so is the beer...in a good way!
Very impressed by this; big rich espresso and dark chocolate malts, with notes of black berry, lingering toasted oak, and just the slightest hint of complimentary Brett funk on the finish.
Right up my alley, and certainly one of the best Aussie brewed beers i've come across.

Thanks to NickB. Cheers buddy.
You know how it is that some beers you remember, are a bit meh when you manage to get hold of a can or bottle ( Tetleys and Youngs come to mind). However this stuff is glorious, well in the category of a TTL, and reminds me of the many hundreds of pints I must have sunk in Cardiff when I lived there. Hops are Challenger, Fuggles and Goldings. And a touch of some sort of Whiskey flavour I can't put my finger on. Big dose of Hiraeth happening, Bribie reaches for hanky.

BrainsSALarge.jpg

Had a Brewdog Trashy Blonde last night - sensational.

Great hops, delicious beer.

You know you should.

Kev

Had some Kooinda Pale Ale on a recent trip to Mexico........ and smuggled some back across the border.

This is an amazing beer. :beerbang:

It's exactly how i like to brew an APA style of beer, plenty of hop flavour/aroma, firm bitterness but balanced by a great malt backbone. Easily my favourite aussie brewed 'APA'. Let it warm up to near room temperature and the malt comes out to play. I love it!

Galaxy and cascade work so well together. I was very slow to jump on the galaxy bandwagon but beers like this remind me just how good a hop it is.

Had far too many aussie brewed APAs that were thin and watery with the hops out of whack, this one is balanced.

Apologies to the Happy Brewing lads for the crappy pic - there is a very good reason i am a scientist and not a photographer! :p

kooinda2.jpg

Orkney Brewery - Raven Ale

3.8% 'Gold Ale'. Nice Floral, sweet/sharp fruity hop aroma on the nose. Balanced well with lightly bready/toasty malt. Golden as described in appearance and a nice ivory head. Palate is oxidised. Big toffee oxidation characteristics but it compliments the deep rich malt well. Toasty palate and finishes with a slightly spicy hoppy bitterness which lingers with some of those shrap fruit/ citrus overtones.

Cheers! :chug:

DSC_1183.jpg

Back