Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok seeing as everyone's in the mood..

Maui Brewing Co
-CoCoNut Porter
-Big Swell IPA
Mehana - Humpback Blue Ale
Hawaii Nui - Sunset Amber Ale
Gordon Biersch - Hefeweizen Growler

09march_038.JPG

Ballast Point (SanDiego) - Wahoo WheatAnderson Valley Brew Co (MendocinoValley) - Hop 'Ottin IPAWhite Hawk (Ukiah, CA) - IPASierra Nevada -Porter-Bigfoot Ale-Pale Ale-Torpedo Extra IPA

09march_039.JPG

But my secret stash is ....
Rogue-Mocha Porter-Dead Guy Ale-Yellow Snow IPA

I know there's nothing really new or interesting to most folks in this forum, but happy to swap/trade if anybody wants anything in particular. :)

09march_040.JPG

Mikkeller EKG single hop IPA. Not bad, but I dont think the EKG profile is really suited to an AIPA style. Not robust enough, but interesting to taste the flavours of this hop at the forefront even though they weren't as prominent as I might have hoped.

IMG_0053.JPG

Brewdog Hardcore IIPA. Had this really great dank, fresh hop smell. I like it a whole lot.

IMG_0054.JPG

BrewDog Zeitgeist Black Lager - Preface: My first Schwartzbier (which I assume this is) and I generally do not dig lagers. Aroma is very malty (sweet yet roasty), indistinct fruit hop aroma underneath (for me in the tail end of a cold). Bugger all bitterness upfront but it comes in firm but mild at the end along side a dry finish. Malt is up front in this one (but not as bold as the aroma would suggest) - equal parts toasty, dark chocolate and roasty/coffee and maybe a touch of toffee. There is some hop flavour underneath - sorta familiar fruitiness and yet a little foreign to me at the same time (or this could just be an unknown style for me coming into play here). Alc is warm for it's 4.9%. I enjoyed it more than expected.

Following on from the following story about the bitterest beer in the world...
http://www.beeraholix.com/story.php?title=...rest-beer#c1471

I decided that it would be worth seeking out whilst I was in the UK. The Hop was only served on draught at the Royal Oak in Wantage. I was considering driving 2 hours to try a half pint of this beer and come home again straight away, but luckily my wife suggested I stay there the night. So I got in contact with the brewer (Peter Fowler) and arranged to meet him at the pub.

The_Hop.jpg
The Hop is a very interesting beer. There is a reasonable amount of hop aroma, but it isn't dry hopped so the focus is more on the bittering addition. Taking a sip greets you with an intense, mouth-puckering bitterness that lasts for 15 seconds. The strange thing is the bitterness is mostly felt across the roof of my mouth. This was the last dregs of this batch, hence the yeast that was dropping out of solution. Peter mentioned that about 2/3 of the bitterness came from the use of hops and the rest was from iso-hops.

Peter also brought along a few beers from his personal stash and I bought along De Dolle Stille Nacht and Harveys RIS...
mix.jpg

Fullers 2005 Anniversary Ale was very smooth and like a fortified wine.
Fullers 2007 Anniversary Ale was so amazing that it gave me goose bumps. Whilst there were still fortified wine characteristics, there was still plenty of malt character. :icon_drool2:
Durham Benedictus was interesting. I think that it is supposed to be a barley wine, but with the high level of carbonation it had a Belgian feel to it.
Gale Prize Old Ale 2007. Mmm.. Brettanomyces. Nice cherry pie and malt aroma. Flavour of dark malts, dried fruit etc. Yum.
Stille Nacht 2009 was sweet and didn't have too much going on. Probably needs another year or so of ageing for the wild things to do their work.
Thomas Hardys 2007. Sweet. Good for sipping by the fireside, sitting on your Chesterfield lounge, patting your bulldog and puffing on a dirty fat cigar.
Harveys 2009 RIS. Amazingly complex RIS. :icon_drool2:

All in all it was a good evening. The locals were very hospitable so I'd recommend looking them up if you are in the area.

Edit: Formatting.

A quiet night in, the kirk tastes quite a lot like a sparkling shiraz but a bit more sour.

DSC02493.JPG

My family is from Bamberg so the rauchbier was a real treat (tastes like whisky crossed with dark beer crossed with smoked tofu/bacon

DSC02500.JPG

Mikkeller EKG single hop IPA. Not bad, but I dont think the EKG profile is really suited to an AIPA style. Not robust enough, but interesting to taste the flavours of this hop at the forefront even though they weren't as prominent as I might have hoped.

Try Rogue Amerian IPA.. definitly works well with the EKG. :icon_cheers:

A quiet night in, the kirk tastes quite a lot like a sparkling shiraz but a bit more sour.

I looooved this beer when i got it, so did SWMBO. very sweet cherry pie! big fruit flavours and low funk. I think if it had a little more lactic/aceto character it would make it something even better.

Try Rogue Amerian IPA.. definitly works well with the EKG. :icon_cheers:

I looooved this beer when i got it, so did SWMBO. very sweet cherry pie! big fruit flavours and low funk. I think if it had a little more lactic/aceto character it would make it something even better.

You mean american amber? I've had it, and ya, awesome!

I tried one of these the other night - no pic, but got this from their website:

about_xingu_image.jpg

Was a bit of a surprise packet as it was fairly cheap ($3 or so from memory) and pretty tasty. Should have got more than one!

Had my first Dogfish Head 90 min IPA last night. Lived up to the hype completely - I think this is probably my favoriate AIIPA I've ever had - I'll be attempting clones throughout the year.

You mean american amber? I've had it, and ya, awesome!

Sorry had IPA on the brain lastnight.. :icon_drunk:

Yeah i'd safely say their American Amber is close to being their best beer. :icon_drool2:

Tasted all of the single hop range last night, or at least i think i did. I was driving so had tiny tasting samples while the other lads had the rest.

Loved the EKG, but then i love an english IPA so for me this worked. EKG in large quantities takes on a citrusy type flavour and aroma but in a refined way if that even makes sense. I loved it.

I enjoyed all of the beers although i found the cascade and amarillo IPAs to be less in your face than i hoped whereas the simcoe and tomahawk were leaping out of the glass.

A few strongins,

Browar Amber -Grand Imperial Porter. From Poland of all places. It was a very strong example, that didn't exactly hide its alcohol in the way that you would prefer, but it was still an enjoyable beer, despite it not being as smooth or as mellow as I would of hoped.

Adnams Broadside - Strong Ale. Great beer, rich with rum and raisin like flavours. One where the lower than normal carbonation and where a bit of warmth makes this beer stand out. Really feels like a beer that should be drunk slowly.

Happy Goblin - Strong. Somewhat similar to the Adnams, but not as refined. Had all the great characteristics of the style, but was still a little rough around the edges. Some hints of harshness, but this should not deter you from trying a great local beer.

Grand_Imperial_Porter.JPG

Adnams_Broadside.JPG

Happy_Goblin___Strong.JPG

Kooinda Pale Ale - Top work guys. This was one of the best pale ales I have had in a long time. The balance for my palate was spot on. Same with the mouthfeel, malt backbone. Everything. Actually carbonation was a little on the low side, but that did not detract from the beer. I hope great things come to you guys, cause this beer was just a great example.

Weihenstephaner Dunkel and Kristal. Also well crafted beers. I think I must of picked up some reasonably fresh beers from these guys as they have all reaffirmed my love of the wheat beers. I personally love the banana kick from the yeast. They are all so very sessionable.

Kooinda___Pale_Ale.JPG

Weihenstephaner___Kristal_Weissbier.JPG

Weihenstephaner___Dunkel.JPG

Back