Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bridge Road Galaxy IPA problems

As suggested, I sent a polite email to the brewery explaining my experience and Ben sent me a couple bottles (and a couple others) from the new (3rd) batch. The same new batch that hasn't even hit retail yet. These bottles had an attached note saying they were bottled so recently I shouldn't even think about putting them in the fridge for a week. If I have any issues this time is is definitely me or the beer.

Drinking the first one now. Bitterness is much, much smoother but also more restrained. Malt is near non-existant. Chemical aftertaste. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and save the second bottle a month or so hoping this one is still too green. But so far this brewery is nothing but duds for me. The Beechworth Pale is alright but really just tastes like nice hops and water.

I picked up this beer today, mainly for the bottle. Awesome stoneware swingtop. I might try the beer soon!
I had a bottle of the Morocco Ale from Daleside Brewery too. Very impressive Dark Spiced ale. Pretty good beer, but maybe a bit expensive @ $10 per 500ml bottle.
Cheers
Gerard

hoogstraten_poorter.jpg

The Nelson Brewery Baggywrinkle. Flat and infected.
The_Nelson_Brewery_Baggywrinkle.jpg

Hopdaemon Leviathan. Some fruitiness/spice from hops. Almond yeast character. Good winter warmer.
HopDaemon_Leviathon.jpg

Westerham's British Bulldog. Sessionable beer with a tilt towards hop character, although tastes a bit thin.
Westerham_British_Bulldog.jpg

Hopdaemon Skrimshander (IPA). Nice firm bitterness and dry hop character. English take on an American IPA??
HopDaemon_IPA.jpg

Cracked this the other night. I have had it sitting in cool dark storage for 6 months or more... posibly 12 months.... cant really remember.

The beer was fantastic. 10.5% alc and it felt like a 3.5% beer in the mouth. It was smooth, sweet, belgian, smooth again, dark fruit flavours and aromas, yeast character was supurb, complimented the malt perfectly. a touch thin though...... i would have liked a tad more body...... a bit of slickness to let you know you were drinking a big beer. It went down like an english mild.... but way more flavour.

for over $20 a bottle....... id go another :) money better spent on this that rogue beers IMO!

cheers

Terriblebottlefront.jpg

Terriblebottleback.jpg

Terriblebottlebeer.jpg

Cracked this the other night. I have had it sitting in cool dark storage for 6 months or more... posibly 12 months.... cant really remember.

The beer was fantastic. 10.5% alc and it felt like a 3.5% beer in the mouth. It was smooth, sweet, belgian, smooth again, dark fruit flavours and aromas, yeast character was supurb, complimented the malt perfectly. a touch thin though...... i would have liked a tad more body...... a bit of slickness to let you know you were drinking a big beer. It went down like an english mild.... but way more flavour.

for over $20 a bottle....... id go another :) money better spent on this that rogue beers IMO!

cheers

Terriblebottlefront.jpg

Terriblebottleback.jpg

Terriblebottlebeer.jpg

Cor luverly, jealous I am. One of my favs.

Those who were discussing peated beers on the previous page may be interested in trying a couple of interesting Brewdog releases, both of which were aged in peaty-as-hell Islay whisky barrels. The 'Paradox Smokehead' is an imperial stout, and the 'Storm', believe it or not, is an IPA. Neither of them are for the faint-hearted, they are both terrifically peaty, earthy and leave you with a dry smokey taste in your mouth for hours. They should both be available in oz.

Will definitely seek out the Storm. Cheers for the heads up!

Wrong glass I know. I enjoyed this. A bit of banana at the end. As it warmed up, I could finally taste a touch of the coriander.

103_0733.JPG

Those who were discussing peated beers on the previous page may be interested in trying a couple of interesting Brewdog releases, both of which were aged in peaty-as-hell Islay whisky barrels. The 'Paradox Smokehead' is an imperial stout, and the 'Storm', believe it or not, is an IPA. Neither of them are for the faint-hearted, they are both terrifically peaty, earthy and leave you with a dry smokey taste in your mouth for hours. They should both be available in oz.

Tried Storm. It's amazing! More like whiskey than beer.

quote name='Tony' date='Mar 30 2010, 08:26 PM' post='614969']

cheers

Terriblebottlefront.jpg

Terriblebottleback.jpg

Terriblebottlebeer.jpg

[/quote]

for something with a bit more body try thisPB100209.JPG

Edit: Apologies in advance for the underexposed pix.

The Wenlock Arms. According to RateBeer.com, The Wenlock Arms is the top rated beer geek destination in London. It is dingy and run-down so it is my sort of place. The beer selection was okay with a TapHouse style lineup.
wenlock_arms.jpg

Adnams Oyster Stout was served up via a beer engine and at perfect cellar temp. Beautiful.
Adnams_Oyster_stout.jpg

The #2 (The Rake) and #4 (the Market Porter) rated beer bars were on my way home so it would've been rude not to call in for a quiet ale at these places.

Ruination IPA on tap at The Rake. Amazing beer.
Ruination_IPA.jpg

Last stop was The Market Porter. Being a Metallica fan, I had to have Elland Road's Fade To Black. Not a patch on Adnam's Oyster Stout, but still a reasonable drop.
Elland_Brewers_Fade_to_Black.jpg

Mikkeller_US.jpg
Mikkeller USAlive
An American-style IIPA innoculated with Brettanomyces. How can you go wrong!
I thought this was a bloody ripper of a beer; the combination of a flavoursome, well-made IPA with a just the right amount of horsey funk to make it amazingly appealing and tasty.

4 pines Kolsch - Normally a brilliant drop, but I'll swear black and blue they put their pale ale in the wrong bottle. still the pale was a great drop too

Brewdog trashy blonde - fairly dull. perhaps this would be a Scottish blonde. it seemed to have all the enjoyable malt and hop characteristics, but it was just sadly missing the unique yeast flavours that make the Belgians' so special.

Erdinger Hefe - an appalling example of what is probably a good beer. smelt and tasted like an off lager.

Now that i got those average ones out of the way, I can post up some better beer

4_Pines___Kolsch.JPG

Brewdog_Trashy_Blonde.JPG

Erdinger_Weisbier.JPG

Nogne 0 #100 - Certainly lived up to the hype for me. Big bold, roasty and hoppy. Others have called it a black double ipa but it felt like it was right in the barleywine territory for me. well worth the 20 bucks

Chimay Grand Reserve - a great and i can see why. big in malt flavour and yeast flavours, but so silky smooth and refined. I just seems effortless.

Nogne___O___100.JPG

Chimay_Grand_Reserve.JPG

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier - Just brilliant, after a swag of beers that I have bought that have left me dissapointed, this was a relief. Just everything that there is to love about hefe's is in this beer, in the correct amounts, not too subtle, or over the top on any one ester, just a beer that made me remember why I love wheaties

St Ambroise - Oatmeal Stout - Another fine beer. smooth, and roasty, nice full body and even a little chewy. I liked it.

Weihenstephaner_Hefe_Weissbier.JPG

St_Ambroise___Oatmeal_Stout.JPG

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier - Just brilliant, after a swag of beers that I have bought that have left me dissapointed, this was a relief. Just everything that there is to love about hefe's is in this beer, in the correct amounts, not too subtle, or over the top on any one ester, just a beer that made me remember why I love wheaties

My gateway drug! It's even better fresh on tap. Trying to get close to that beer is why I brew.

Westerham William Wilberforce Freedom Ale. Infected. Not really badly infected, but enough to put me off after a mouthful.
P1030446__Small_.JPG

Black Sheep's Golden Sheep. Reasonably hoppy aroma and bitterness. Bitter sweet finish (I wonder if they use Wyeast 1026?). Needs a bit more body. I was somewhat interested that this beer and the previous one use demerara sugar.
P1030448__Small_.JPG

The Nelson Brewery Dogwatch Stout. Lots of coffee and roastiness in flavour and aroma. Not bad, but not great.
P1030449__Small_.JPG

Adnam's Broadside. :icon_drool2: Lots of dried fruit and malt in aroma and taste. Some alcohol on the nose (6.3%ABV). Beautiful for a cold Spring afternoon.
P1030527__Small_.JPG

Orkney Brewery's Dark Island. :icon_drool2: Plenty of dark fruit and some roastiness and bitter chocolate. This beer is great and kinda reminds me of Tooheys Old turned up to "11" (instead of 6). A really sessionable beer.
P1030528__Small_.JPG

Orkney Brewery's Dragonhead Stout. :icon_drool2: Roastiness and some malt and fruit. A really good sessionable (4%ABV) stout.
P1030529__Small_.JPG

A pic of one of the many shelves at Utobeer (at London Borough Markets). These guys have a great selection of UK, Euro and USA beers. They even have Tooheys New and LCPA.
Family_007__Small_.jpg

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout. I nearly didn't get this beer (because I've heard of it being available in Aus), however I'm glad that the chick behind the counter recommended it. This beer was days away from its best before date, but that is a good thing for a big beer like this. Aromas of roasted malts, chocolate and and American hops. Smooth and ridiculously easy drinking with a nice roasty/bitter finish. It was a perfect match for my roast beef dinner (with Yorkshire pudding).
Family_052__Small_.jpg

Now I have to shake this cold (probably caught at a cold/wet/windy Brand's Hatch on Friday's British Superbike practice sessions) and I'll be able to hit some more beers.

Latest posts

Back