Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P3040028.JPG

P3070047.JPG

I wasn't so overly fussed by SNPA, but I will reserve judgement for when I can get a fresh bottle of it. These two however I found to be very good. The Porter was almost 12 months old, and still drinking well. The stout was really good. A lot of things going on in that beer, particularly as it warms...

Got me self a mixed 6 pack of JS from the bottle shop! IPA to start,,,,,, I put some money on the Adelaide cup! now sitting at home watching it! I hope WIN!!!

IMG_2141.JPG

Nogne O #100

Note: I did let it warm up after taking the picture but possibly not to the 16C recomended by the brewery.

Not what I was expecting. Not entirely sure why because I've read more than enough people talking about this beer. I hope fans of this beer will forgive my shambolic impressions and hamfisted comparisons (I know I'm comparing beers of differing styles). On the nose it strongly reminds me of Flying Horse's Dirty Angel - a complex sweetness that never approaches cloying. Very similar in terms of colour too. Comparisons between the two break down on the palate. This has only a little of the Dirty Angel's complex dark fruit (plum/raisin) which I can't help but feel might strengthen what is already a strong beer. It is also significantly more bitter than the Dirty Angel (which is in its favour for me). Much more of the expected acridness missing from the DA - this roasty acridity is what often puts me off most darker beers but here I am genuinely enjoying it (perhaps this one will make a convert of me?). Very, very warm alc but never harsh - quite pleasant, in fact. The fact that this beer comes together so amazingly well balanced seems to be quite a feat to me. Despite not really being what I expect of an IIPA (my fault) I very quickly got over this minor disappointment. Really nice beer.

I drank a #100 last night too, bum. Second time having it, and it's just fantastic. However, it really shouldn't be labelled a double ipa. It's really a hybrid of stout, american barley wine and iipa as im sure you now know after drinking it!

Not barley wine at all - as the brewery regularly find themselves needing to re-instate. The barley wine label in the US was a mistake that Nogne-O seem somewhat annoyed about to this day.

I generally (always to be honest) hate stouts so I'd be disinclined to agree with that one too. An Imperial Porter, perhaps? But they wanna call it an IIPA? Cool, I'll still drink it.

IMG_2143.JPG

Chateau Rogue Wet Hop Ale - This one is all about the aroma. Not huge by any means but complex and not without depth. Piney, resiny (but not grassy) hops, slightly bready malt. Flavour is much like a slightly muted version of the aroma. Nice bitterness that lingers without the initial bitterness being a slap in the mouth. Maybe a little caramel under everything? Very warm alc for what I assume is not a high% beer (no indication can be found on the bottle). I wasn't really expecting Rogue's usual aggressiveness here so I wasn't disappointed. It is kind of annoying me because it reminds me strongly of a local beer but I can't put my finger on which.

Not barley wine at all - as the brewery regularly find themselves needing to re-instate. The barley wine label in the US was a mistake that Nogne-O seem somewhat annoyed about to this day.

I generally (always to be honest) hate stouts so I'd be disinclined to agree with that one too. An Imperial Porter, perhaps? But they wanna call it an IIPA? Cool, I'll still drink it.

Yeah, I know it's not called a barley wine. I was just referring to the characteristics that the ingredients imparted. For me, and some others I know, there were elements of those 3 styles in this beer.

I agree though, they can call it whatever the hell they want - it's still a pretty wonderful beer.

Also, re: the wet hop ale was it kooinda pale that it reminded you of? I have hazy memories of the rogue beer but maybe there is a similarity there?

Not for me but we all experience these things differently, hey?

For some reason I'm thinking Holgate but the specific beer won't take shape in my mind. Oh well.

Hopinator? Can't really think what else it'd be, though i havent tried all of the holgate beers.

P3040025.JPG

P3040027.JPG

Continuing the dark ale/porter thing... Particularly impressed with the kiwi porter, really subtle roasty notes, balanced maltiness/hop bitterness with a subtle hop flavour. I would buy it again...

P3090001__2_.JPG

Still one of my favourite beers. Ever. It will take me an hour to sip this one away, and I'll savour every mouthful

Where did you get this Bum?! :eek:

Slowbeer $15

Maybe you need to move quick - not many left on the shelf (dunno how much of his stock he usually puts out though).

Just realised that I (they) spelled 'Chateo' incorrectly.

A thousand pardons, gentlemen.

Finishing my night off with one of these....

P3090001__3_.JPG
... I haven't sampled one for a few months, but the memories flood back quick. Goddamn this beer is drinking well at the moment. Intense aromas and flavours... everything from plum pudding to dried fruits and vanillas to hints of cinnamon... long long languid mouthfeel. I wish I had of forked out for two cartons

Finishing my night off with one of these....

View attachment 36271
... I haven't sampled one for a few months, but the memories flood back quick. Goddamn this beer is drinking well at the moment. Intense aromas and flavours... everything from plum pudding to dried fruits and vanillas to hints of cinnamon... long long languid mouthfeel. I wish I had of forked out for two cartons

Ummm... Me want...

Latest posts

Back