Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good shop. Yeah I've had the same thoughts about the beers sitting in the window. I know they're not in direct sunlight or anything, nut even so. Then again I wouldn't have taken double glance when casually walking by and seeing a Sierra Nevada sitting on the shelf, before going inside.
First visit there I dropped $38 for 3 beers. Still cheaper than working next door to the Belgian Beer Cafe though. :ph34r:

Re: Yellow Snow hopping - Thanks for that. Will keep an eye out for this version. After posting I checked the Rogue webpage and it still says all Amarillo - will have to check bottles closely to see if any others have changed. They better not have buggered with the Brutal Bitter. Easily my favourite of theirs.

Yeah my old bottle of yellow snow only states amarillo. I also noticed the labling of the American amber ale i had has a different list of malts. Thinks might change seasonally to help keep a similiar profile.

. I know they're not in direct sunlight or anything, . :ph34r:

Wanna Bet ?
Try going there in the afternoon ... say around 3-4ish from memory. All those beers in the window get a huge smack of direct sunlight.
There is a good reason why I have never purchased beer from them

Yeah my old bottle of yellow snow only states amarillo. I also noticed the labling of the American amber ale i had has a different list of malts. Thinks might change seasonally to help keep a similiar profile.

Interesting to note that. Probably due to the recent Amarillo shortage last year or so. In line with what happened with the James Squire Golden Ale. The Yellow Snow is still a good drop, would have like to try the 100% Amarillo though. Goes to show that subbing hops in regards to availability can still produce an excellent profile. Shame that the guys at JS weren't able to achieve the same. IMHO the JSGA is a former shadow of itself.

Wanna Bet ?
Try going there in the afternoon ... say around 3-4ish from memory. All those beers in the window get a huge smack of direct sunlight.
There is a good reason why I have never purchased beer from them

Hmm... I'll keep an eye out for that. Maybe try and see what's available on the other side of the store next time.

Some beers over the last few months

EKIM - IPA. Nice flavour, nice balance of malt and hops, but was just flat. Cant say why, just no bubbles at all.
Floueffe - Was ok, had alot of strong alcohol tastes.
Hunter Beer Co - Christmas Cheer. very nice, roasty with hints of licorice and spices.

EKIM__IPA.JPG

Floreffe.JPG

Hunter_Beer_Co___Christmas_Cheer_09.JPG

cont ....

Jamiesons Beast - had this a few yeast ago at the Aussie beer festival. it impressed me then, as it does now. big and bold. the hops are very much in your face, but they are no where near as harsh as some examples. Considering the lowish rrp of this beer, it is great value

Jamiesons Raspberry Ale - also a really good beer. the raspberry is the natural sour berry flavour rather than the fake sweet kind, which i prefer. tart without being puckering and matches well with the ale side of it.

Lindemans Apple Lambic - A very strong acidic, green apple tartness. almost like candy apple in a glass. I know that green apple flavour in beers should be shunned, but I just loved this beer. I love lambics, so the sourness, the acidity and the apple flavouring really did it for me. won't be everyone cup of tea, but it sure was mine.

Jamieson_Beast.JPG

Jamieson_Raspberry_Ale.JPG

Lindemans___Aplle_Lambic.JPG

last lot

Rochefort 10. Cant remember alot about this one. I do remember that it was a strong confronting taste. not smooth like other belgians. i did find it multi-layered and complex, but i didn't rate it in my top 10, which seems to be in contrast to many.

on the other hand

Unibroue - Don De Dieu. What a superb beer. silky smooth, dry, but also sweet. sticky honey flavours, and spicey notes. This was a dream. Made me think of a Murrays Grand Cru, with a greater honey aroma and taste. Ill be going back for more. Once again Unibroue has confirmed its position as my favourite international brewery.

Rochefort_10.JPG

Unibroue___Don_De_Dieu.JPG

last lot

Rochefort 10. Cant remember alot about this one. I do remember that it was a strong confronting taste. not smooth like other belgians. i did find it multi-layered and complex, but i didn't rate it in my top 10, which seems to be in contrast to many.

on the other hand

Unibroue - Don De Dieu. What a superb beer. silky smooth, dry, but also sweet. sticky honey flavours, and spicey notes. This was a dream. Made me think of a Murrays Grand Cru, with a greater honey aroma and taste. Ill be going back for more. Once again Unibroue has confirmed its position as my favourite international brewery.

I really want a tulip like the one you put don de dieu in. Where did you pick that bad boy up?

That is a La Chouffe glass, and I got it eons ago, from a bottleshop, Northmead Cellars I think is the name of it.

I was in Singapore this week. No pictures, but I had the following-

* Pump Room IPA, Scottish Ale and Wheat. Their IPA was cloudy, but had plenty of hop aroma, flavour and bitterness. I really enjoyed it. I also tried their Scottish Ale and their Wheat beer, but unfortunately they were quite muted after the IPA.

* I also tried (at a different venue) Archipelago's Xiang. It is brewed with rose buds, orange peel and lime. Interesting Belgian style aromas, uncomplicated and great for sinking a few of on a hot day.

FYI - Singapore Airlines has the Archipelago Brewing Co. (aka ABC) Stout on their flights. I forgot to try it.

Red Duck Bengal IPA

In my opinion the best beer from this brewery, huge floral scent , nice robust malt backbone and very well balanced lots of flavour. The best Australian IPA Ive ever tried.
P1170399.JPG

Firestone Walker IPA. Amazing beer. Huge american hop hit as you would imagine. Quite resiny. This packs a big hop punch, but also lots and lots of chewy malt. Very balanced and pretty drinkable for 7.5%.

YUM!
photo.jpg

Red Duck Bengal IPA

In my opinion the best beer from this brewery, huge floral scent , nice robust malt backbone and very well balanced lots of flavour. The best Australian IPA Ive ever tried.
View attachment 36162

Have you tried jamieson beast, feral hop hog or murrays icon? If not, you're in for a treat when you try those!

Anchor Steam Beer.

Nice amber in colour. Very fruity with a nice dry bitterness. Great subtle toffee like malt background. Very unique!
photo.jpg

Not in the glass yet...shouldn't take long however.

07_03_10_2256.jpg

Rogue First Growth Wet Hop Ale
Mad Brewers Orchard Ale
Nogne O IPA
Rogue Mogul Madness
Nogne O #100
Meantime London Pale Ale
Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen
Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock x 3
Moo Brew Dark Ale
Rogue Double Dead Guy
Bridge Road Galaxy IPA
Rogue Brutal Bitter
Sierra Nevada Porter
and a few fruity lambics for m'lady

[EDIT: typo]

Yeah, probably most excited about trying that one.

I've only ever had one of them before but I was obsessed for months afterwards. I could taste it every time I was near anything on fire. My brewing goal for this year is to put down a rauch where a bit of meat comes across.

Latest posts

Back