Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just grabbed a couple off my phone.

Poutine (variation on a theme), with St Peter's Old Style Porter:
View attachment 28044

Treacle cake and Feral Boris:
View attachment 28045

Schneider/Brooklyner Hopfen Weisse:
View attachment 28047

Meredith goats cheese, caramelised onion, roast beetroot, rocket, roast walnuts & lemon olive oil dressing on san fransico sourdough with Cantillon Gueuze:
View attachment 28046

Remember going out to the meredith goat cheesery, goat quark or soft white works so well with beetroot and walnuts..... mmm

I'm goin right off you mate :angry:

Yeah I tried it out there for the first time a few years ago (they only had the marinated for sampling) and have been in love with it since! Gueuze has a natural affinity with a lot of cheeses, and this one's no exception.

stambvint.JPG

Tonight - St-Ambroise Vintage Ale 2009 (9.8% Strong Ale) with fried root vegetable and mushroom salad (in soy-mustard dressing), fresh rice paper spring rolls, fried camembert, and miso. Wow!

Nogne O #100

1st Impression, it pours like a Dubbel. Dark and Syrupy, tan/creamy head with beautiful lacing as it dissipated. There was firm ethanol on the nose offset by a malt sweet, almost syrupy molasses aroma. Hops seemed to take a backseat @ 9deg, it did have some noticeable citrus 'C' hop aromas, very subtle. Phenolic (vanilla/Oak maybe) maybe with some rich dark crystal aromas present, raisin predominantly.

Now for the Tasting...
Well it hit the lips like sucking on a maple syrup bottle. Very chewy with a rich liquor profile and a mild carbonation. Was quite velvety/chewy. The flavour in this was huge! Liquorice, plum, raisin. In the mouth, I could hardly detect any hop character. It was heavily masked by deep rich malt and alcoholic warmth. Aftertaste was nothing but hops. Resiny and lingering, Dried out the palate probably too much as I just kept on sipping!

If you leave it for a few moments after consuming the flavours start to break down on the back of your palate, started getting rich melanoiden breadiness. Very Munich Dunkel like. All I was burping for the next few hours was a mouthful of citrusy/peppery hops. Fantastic!

If you pick one up, share it. 500ml knocked me off my feet not to mention became hard to finish @ 10%. Very rich, very enjoyable! (@ $18 it better be!) :chug:

Beers! :icon_cheers:

nogneo100.jpg

Nogne_023.jpg
I also recently had the pleasure of trying Nogne O #100
Fourstar has said pretty much all that needs to be said. Very impressive, somewhat a mismash of styles, heaps of malt and hops and undertones of fruit and spice and alcohol.

Nogne_022.jpg
Also tried this bad boy...
Ngne Winter Ale (God Jul)
Big roasted malt flavours of dark chocolate, coffee and roasted nuts reminisant of an imperial Porter, combined with aromatic American hop citrus and pine. Thick rich body, that warms a bit on the way down (8.5%abv), with lovely undertones of dried fruit and plums. Solid, yet balanced bitterness to finish.
Slightly similar to the #100 after having them both in close sucession, but with a more roasted malt profile and slightly better balance on the body, not as "huge" I guess.

Can't find the cable to get the pics off my phone, but I just spent the weekend in Melbourne and hit up Beer Deluxe in Fed Square on Saturday for some 2 Brothers Brown Ale from a stubby (over hopped an under malted IMO) and a Mountain Goat IPA on tap (well under hopped).

Dinnner at Longrain that night scored me a Moo Brew Hefeweizen stubby (spot on for the style IMO.) followed up by a Schofferhoffer Krystalweizen stubby (crystal clear and almost as well flavoured as the Moo Brew).

And on Sunday on our way back to the airport we stopped in at Little Creatures Drinking Hall for some White Rabbit Dark Ale on tap (under malted), Pale Ale on tap (under hopped compared to the stubby version) and Rogers on tap (great drop). Add in the plethora of nibbles available fresh from the kitchen it topped off a fantastic weekend.

Currently sitting in the Redoak bar in Sydney enjoying a tasting platter

Australian ale with tatiki of kangaroo loin with eshsalot and honey vinaigrette
Bitter with tempura quail with sweet soy
Organic Pale ale with steamed chicken and corriander dumpling with shitake and Ginger broth
Belgian pale ale with braised pork belly and crushed minted peas

Chasing with a pint of IPA.

Mmmm... Redoak IPA :icon_drool2:
Yup it's bloody fantastic. Pick of the bunch. First one for me. Impressive hop aroma and a very sessional hop / malt balance. Pint #2 on it's way with a slab of pork belly.

Rogue Dry Hopped Red.
Lovely hop aroma. Good malt flavour backed with plenty of hops...

roguered.jpg

Like to share the restaurant Brendan?
Ha-Lu in Mt Hawthorn. New menu up as of last week, check out "our menu" and "takeaway" here: http://halu.net.au/ I guess you would call them "modern" Japanese, but immensely good food and a lovely place to dine (also very impressive collection of Sake).

Re: #100 - loved it, favourite Nogne O beer by far!

Had one of these last night:

drikkeriget.jpg

Mikkeller Drikkeriget Double IPA. My what a big beer!! Lacking a little in aroma but makes up for it in flavour. Seems like it should be too strong (10.1%) and overhopped, but for some reason it just works really well and melts in your mouth. Simcoe, Tomahawk, and Amarillo from memory. Sweet and juicey malt, but balanced by ludicrous hopping and ripe tropical fruit flavours. Brilliant!!!

Finished up my Nogne O experience (well, besides the 'other' one in the cellar ;) ) with a nice big hearty Imperial Stout.

Nogne_025.jpg
Picture doesn't really give a great indication of how dark this beer is, cause it's DARK! Even the head is dark, darker than some beers that could be consider dark, dark...
Plenty going on with this beer, big roasted flavours of course, and thensome! Almost liqueur-like at times with rich dark chocolate and black coffee, undertones of dark fruits and citrus add an extra dimension that many stouts lack. Finish is in itself multidimensional, linger coffee and spice and hop resin, not to mention bitterness.
Certainly have enjoyed trying all of these big beers, particularly Imperial Stouts. Could well be my favourite style at the moment.

IMG_0120_1_.jpg

Rockfort 10 -
Had this last night just cause i felt like it. But then again it was my only beer for the night.
must serve this about 10C or more i recon otherwise you loose some of the complex flavours.

Most of the aroma comes from after you've got some in your mouth and you aerate it (like tasting wine). It fills your nose from the back of your mouth.

This is a hard core complex beer so be prepared to drink over 30min or so if its your first time. It will take a while for your tastebuuds to adjust to this style of beer, no hop aroma, very complex taste that needs to dissolve over your tongue in small bits for the full flavour to become apparent. for such a big beer the body is light due to the starch they use in brewing. so its not a thicxk bodied beer in the traditional sense although your mind expects it to be.

now for the flavours. Leather. lovely leather, dried figs and caramel. a hint of deep spice. a slightly sweet dry finish. it builds up in the middle of your tongue and then laps down the sides to round of nicely. As I said it takes ages to enjoy this beer. The high alc content (11.3%) gives some character to this beer. It isnt really apparent like some high alc beers (if you know what your looking for you can pick it), but it adds to the beers complexity and balances the sweet sugars out. If you really challange your taste buds you can pick out the styrian hops flavours but only vaugely. I couldnt pin it down and had to look up which hops it used. Then after a while i could pick the hop profile.

By the end of this I had finally adjusted my taste buds and was ready for a 2nd. alas there was not one. This is definiately a must try dark belgian, but i doubt it will appeal to everyones taste buds. Also dont go comparing it to Belgian PAs. Its chalk and cheese.

Latest posts

Back