Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered the Baltika #4 Dark a few months ago, and really enjoyed it, so the other week I grabbed #8, the Wheatbier.

Oh man, this was AWESOME!
Can't really describe wheat flavours too well, but it wasn't too out of place in the Hoegaarden Glass.
View attachment 27650

Pete, that is the exact same photo a friend of mine took and sent me. and he thought it was really good a well. Must track one down.

Picked this up at nectar not knowing what it was, turns out its a witbier and very tasty :) I only wish it came in a bigger bottle :(

BlancheHainaut.jpg

Dead Guy Ale

I little malt sweet on the finish but otherwise a great hoppy beer... who would a thunk perle and saaz could be so tasty :D

3306885118_533db1cf70.jpg

picked up these over the weekend in the hunter from the hall of beers.

dragonhead_big-141x300.png
indianale.gif
crackshot_large.jpg
2359.jpg

Tonight i have opened the Rogue Chipotle ale.

Now being a chilli head i was both excited and apreshensive. Chilli beers seem to polorise the love it or hate it in brewers and beer lovers more than any other.

Well i love it. Its actually not as "chilli" as i expected.

Pours with the most wonderful Orange to pale amber colour, clear with a nice white head.

My initial impression of aroma was Coca cola :blink: But its not. Its a mix of sweet malt, spicy hops and smoky chilli. It smells devine. Mainly malt and cilli, the hops are fairly laid back.

Flavour is smooth amd malty, a touch of hops but mainly a spicy, smokey chilli character that mingles well with the malt. Its ballanced and very drinkable.

After a mouthfull or 2 you get a touch of heat in the throat. then at the end of the bottle is a mild warmth that fills your mouth and lingers well after.

A greeat beer, well ballanced, well crafted, Well made. A bit over priced for what you get but these things have to be ried once hey.

I will be making a batch of something similar this winter as well :)

cheers

RogueChipotleAle832x1248.jpg

On the back of your review, Tony, I tried this one tonight after a couple of days of anticipation. I have to say I was a little disappointed. I think the level of chilli is nice for a beer, not overpowering, but I couldn't get past the cloying sweetness of the malt. I think it needs some more bitterness to balance the amount of crystal in it. I'm not usually one to turn up my nose at sweet caramel malts, but this was over the top IMHO, almost cordial like in the background. I hate to admit it, but I really struggled to finish the bottle, and only for the fact that it cost $18, I probably would have tipped half a glass

Had a Bridge Road Brewers Harvest Ale at the LHBS tonight.

Such a fresh hop flavour. Definitely worth a go.

Trying to make some room in my beer fridge this weekend after getting carried away at nectar..... so-
more_photos_001.jpg
From McAuslan brewing in Quebec..... Apricot Hefe. I only bought this as I thought "Well I have to at least give it a go..."
I can now say I've done that, gave half the glass to the wife and moved onto....
more_photos_002.jpg
Their oatmeal stout. Certainly erased the memory of the previous beer. A lot better. Smooth and silky, but I've been drinking a few big stouts lately and was looking for a little more from it.

Right now having a Mountain Goat Pale Ale pulled through the Randall full of Cascade flowers

At the mountain goat brewery of course - warmup beers before going into a Qantas logoed aluminium can

mmmmm

Sam Smiths Yorkshire Stingo (8%ABV and aged in oak for a year).

Hey Rukh, can you be so kind as to divulge where you picked this up?

ED: And tonight I am drinking an unexciting mix of DAB (quite fresh), JS Hop Thief & my special bitters (that have problems I need to nut out).

Sorry, no pic.

Redoak Organic Pale Ale - Cloudy but almost golden in colour. Almost confronting in its fruitiness, finishing almost floral/perfumy. Anyone got any idea how this one is built? If I could get a more restrained version of this fruit character into my PAs, but without the somewhat harsher floral finish, I'd be pretty stoked. Small criticisms aside I quite like this but don't know if I'd want to drink it all night.

Apologies for my limited beer vocabulary.

Sorry, no pic.

Redoak Organic Pale Ale - Cloudy but almost golden in colour. Almost confronting in its fruitiness, finishing almost floral/perfumy. Anyone got any idea how this one is built? If I could get a more restrained version of this fruit character into my PAs, but without the somewhat harsher floral finish, I'd be pretty stoked. Small criticisms aside I quite like this but don't know if I'd want to drink it all night.

Apologies for my limited beer vocabulary.

I believe from memory this is more an English pale ale, so some of the fruitiness might be yeast derived, plus even if not an English yeast will mute the hop character a little.
I think there is a little info on the bottle isn't there, just loosely described? If not, a pale ale with some UK hops, Challenger, First Gold, Goldings to name but a few and a good english ale yeast would be grand...

It does talk about being an English PA and mentions that the yeast is chosen for the fruity quality (probably my words there, obviously). Nothing that gives me enough info to sort out what I want from it (especially since I haven't even made anything particularly English yet).
Thanks for the tips!

This was a recipe I made a while back. This was my first kegged beer, so memory won't say how good it actually was, because I had beer on tap so it disappeared fairly fast ;)
The Green Bullet for bittering was just for using up hops.

Aside from the recipe, have a read of the descriptions of dry and liquid English yeasts as another starting point...

First Gold (I know I mentioned hops before but I love this hop), Challenger, Goldings, Bramling Cross and Styrian Goldings are all good fruity UK type hops that will give you a great UK pale ale.

Recipe: XPA
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4300.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 93.89 %
200.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4.37 %
80.00 gm Crystal, Dark (Bairds) (216.7 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
20.00 gm Green Bullet [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.4 IBU
20.00 gm Northdown [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Hey guys, picked this one up from the bottlo, comes from the Malt Shovel Brewery. Dont know if it has been reviewed already but anyway...

Its the Ten 20 Commemoration Ale

Comes in at 7.9% however the alcohol is very well disguised. It has excellent balance and when warmed up in the glass (pulled it out of fridge 20 min prior to drinking) it was very smooth. Will go and get another to add to my new cellar (bottom of hallway cupboard) will go with the large bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve.

Beer_018.jpg

A staple . . . .Coopers Sparkling

Yum!

I have to agree, haven't tasted anything else quite like this drop really enjoy it especially when it warms up a tad, it was my saviour at a 60th on Sat when all that was available was warm carlton draught in jugs :icon_vomit: .

A staple . . . .Coopers Sparkling

Yum!

I picked up Michael Jackson's great beer styles book from the rook today - nice to see Cooper's stout and sparkling both got a guernsey. If only a few other well known aussie beers took a cue from coopers. In my glass currently is Schneider Aventinus Doppelbock. I have a weizen eisbock waiting.

Damn tasty.

Latest posts

Back