Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think because they are owned by coors now they must have updated the labels and so forth.... the bottle i got was from the recent delivery to purvis.

jimmy

Thunderlips' link also suggests they shut down the original brewery when the bottle/label change occurred. Very much looking forward to finding this one.

Todays Haul, Went for a trip to Purvis. Couldn't handle myself!

Interested to know what tie Nogne O #100 is like. @ $20 a pop.. it better be good!

haul30509.JPG

1st cab off the rank for tonight.

Bright Copper In appearance with a Floral and Spicy aroma, some stonefruit/citrus aromas linger. Sharp Bitterness with a deep supporting malt profile, quite bready, assuming a decent whack munich malt and a touch of supporting crystal sweetness, nothing OTT the malt finishes quite smooth. A medium mouthfeel with some chewyness, seems thing due to high carbonation. After taste lingers with some astringent bitterness.. still tasting ciabatta breadcrusts.

Overall a decent 'hop thief' let down my expectations from last year's US hop slap. A pleasant beer, seems to be focused more towards the sessionable punter who enjoys some left of centre beers. Worth picking up a six pack at a mere 18 bucks a pop!
]

jsht09.jpg

Good work Fourstar,

I picked up a Nogne 0 #100 as well... i think it was a truely amazing beer. bloody amazing. worth every part of the 20 bucks! amazing orange aroma almost like jaffas but not really at the same time. hugely thick and chewy flavour, dark and and just plain amazing.

i find it hard to describe but i can't recomend this beer more, even thou it 20 bucks... :icon_chickcheers:

cheers jimmy

gallery_2445_445_566659.jpg

Matilda Bay Fat Yak Pale Ale
Tried it on tap, but they were selling this with a free glass at Vintage Cellars...how could I say no?
Nice aroma of fruity hops and biscuity malts, it's a beer that could really take down the likes of LCPA, but it simply doesn't deliver on the body; lean bodied, watered down hop flavour, unbalanced bitterness and a slight metallic skunk on the finish. Having said that, it is quite a nice sessionable pale ale, just wish it had more balls!

The "with balls" version was matilda bay alpha pale ale. Now it looks like they are phasing it out as it doesnt suit the masses. Seeing it less on tap now around Perth. And seeing fat yak more

Cracked a Murry's Sassy Blonde before dinner, nice apertif.
It was a tasty drop. Slightly malty, clean finish.
Goes under the tag of "craftbrew" on the label... not a bad marketing ploy.

I like the idea of supporting local craft brewers and it was a drop i would buy again over megaswill.

The "with balls" version was matilda bay alpha pale ale. Now it looks like they are phasing it out as it doesnt suit the masses. Seeing it less on tap now around Perth. And seeing fat yak more
They're phasing Alpha out!?
That's a real shame, I really like that beer. Plenty of punch and flavour, you don't get many common beers with a good bitterness like that.

They're phasing Alpha out!?
That's a real shame, I really like that beer. Plenty of punch and flavour, you don't get many common beers with a good bitterness like that.

+ 1, It would be a real shame to lose this beer, i love it nice hop hit and bitterness very similar to SNPA definately one of Australia's better versions of the style, i spose the problem is the people that appreciate this beer can make it for a 1/4 of the cost. I'm off to Dans to pick me up some b4 its gone. :(

Well i got myself a bottle of Kooinda Pale Ale. 2nd one ive had. (1st was at mrs parmas) Im tasting a difference between the 2 as well. There was a decent amount of sediment in this bottle Trav (just for your records.) i had it chilling for 2-3 days and it had around 1CM of yeast. :unsure: (maybe it was one of the 1st/last off the bottling line?)

Either way it was good. Quite floral/citrusy and a fruity yeast profile going on.

Cheers boys! :icon_cheers: back to brewing!

kooinda.jpg

First beer of the day - First Harvest.
How excited was I to try three new hops? Nearly left the family at the shopping centre.
Got home and had my first disappointment of the day(actually...second after having to go to shopping centre)!
Bitter - yes. Flavour - blurgh. Smell - WTF?

Not a fan. Had to wash the taste away as soon as I could with a Hop Thief.
Not as hoppy as expected but has enough going for it that I'm having my second now. :icon_drunk:

On a similar vein I picked up this the other day.
View attachment 27340
Not actually my pic of in the glass as this is after the event...
It's a light coloured weizenbock, similar to the vitus, but with a hop hit on the nose and flavour as well before all that nice weizen character comes through.
I really liked it.

I cracked one of these tonight and was not a fan at all... didnt even finish it :icon_vomit:

I dont know if it was just this bottle but it was like smelling a phenolic fruit cup! It didnt have the soft wheat aroma with yummy esters :( and the flavour was acidic fruit with some oxidation. Vitus wins hands down for lighter weizenbocks.

That's disappointing to hear Jye. Mine was certainly not like that...

After hearing how you talked about the beer Im tempted to grab another bottle, mine was really awful :(

What else do you on a cool day, but have roast beef with Yorky puds and hot English mustard and UK style beers?!

First cab off the rank was Northern Rivers Brewing Co's Stout. Chocolate and some roastiness. Very easy drinking.

IMG_4370.jpg

Sam Smiths Yorkshire Stingo (8%ABV and aged in oak for a year). Oak, malt and sultana's (I say with some confidence after sniffing our sultana jar). Perfect for washing down a roast dinner.

IMG_4371.jpg

First cab off the rank was Northern Rivers Brewing Co's Stout. Chocolate and some roastiness. Very easy drinking.

Hope you enjoy it because you will never see it again. I was at the brewery yesterday for the garage sale and looked at buying their leftover malt.

Would love to have the recipe for their dark ale :chug:

I shared a bottle of Westy 12 tonight. The best? Dunno. Definitely world class, in the top handful I've tried. Wonderfully complex in flavour and aroma. A hint of booziness, not as well hidden as the big beers from Rochefort. Delightfully dry which made it so easy to drink. Probably worthy of the hype, but not streets ahead of its peers. Sorry, no pics.

Double whammy today whilst watching the glorious victory of the Knights over the Bulldogs...

Nogne_019.jpg
Nogne O Sahti and God Saske

Ok, so I don't have the ability to do letter accentuations like the Norwegians. But, goddamn, they brew a good beer!

God Paske
Amber in colour, the nose doesn't really allude to much. But to body reveals more coherent flavours of spice, citrus, vanilla and sweet malt.

Sahti
This is seriously something everyone must try! Somewhere between a mead and a Belgian ale. Lots of honey and spice on the body, but in such a different, perhaps more prominant way to what i've use to. I'd really regard this as more of a spiced mead than a beer, but still it's really nice and the balance is so nice that it's hard to notice the 11% alc/vol. I can't say enough good things!

Hope you enjoy it because you will never see it again. I was at the brewery yesterday for the garage sale and looked at buying their leftover malt.

Would love to have the recipe for their dark ale :chug:

Damn. If only I'd bought a six pack, then, they might still be in business.

Damn. If only I'd bought a six pack, then, they might still be in business.
After hearing this news a few months back, I wasn't too happy.
I distinctly recall having Northern Rivers stout at the Australian Hotel in the Rocks, and it was one of the few beers that really stood out.
Damn shame to see something of such excellent quality go!

Back