Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, would be very interested to know where the Schneider Hopfen Weisse was purchased, I haven't seen it available in Aus before. Cheers.

Hey guys, would be very interested to know where the Schneider Hopfen Weisse was purchased, I haven't seen it available in Aus before. Cheers.

I got mine from Nectar in West End in Brisbane.
Not sure where you are or if that helps...

If you ring them or email them you may be able to get the distributor off them, and then the distributor should be able to tell you where else to get it.
Ignore the opening times on the site though...

https://www.nectarwines.com.au/pages/show/id/2/

IMG_3261small.jpg

Cuvee Rene 2007 -- wow.

I've tried a few Krieks before but really didn't enjoy them much, too much syruppy cherry flavours for mine but this is so completely not like that.

This is light and dry, refreshing ascorbic sourness, hints of cheery but balanced by the slightly tangy, sour finish. Maybe it is like a really young Sparkling Pinot Noir, but a lot better.

cheers

grant

And on that note, onto a beer that costs almost as much as a case of VB...

View attachment 26979
Mikkeller Black
First thing I should probably establish here that this beer is an Imperial stout, so it's dark as the ace of spades, possibly darker.
Second thing is that is strong. Lets use the aforementioned beer, VB as a guide. At a fortifying 17.5% alcohol per volume, Black is almost 4 times stronger than VB...and not just in alcohol!
And I guess the third thing i'd like to mention is that this is probably a beer best left in the cellar for a few years. Being a relatively fresh beer (best before 2017) this is kind of like drinking a big Cab Sav from the Barossa or Coonawarra straight after bottling. Intense is an understatement! All the hallmarks of a great stout are there; dark chocolate, deep roast coffee, undertones of dark fruits, but it's somewhat intensified and amplified by alcohol intensity and a body that would be good on almost any bottle of port.

Totally loved it, one hell of an experience, but as the is explained in the description on the website "not a beer for sissies". Very tempted to get a few for the cellar.

It sounds amazing this bevridge you speak of !
Seeing i'm in Melb i'm going to go on a hunt and buy misson !
Cheers
Ferg

Nice one Grant.
I must say the Cuvee Rene Gueuze was one of the nicer lambics i've come across. I'll definately purchase the Kriek if I come across one in my travels.

Until then...
Nogne_013.jpg
Nogne O Porter
Lovely rich, thick sort of porter. Smooth roasted malt profile with plenty of dark chocolate and mocha coffee in there. Well up there with the best Imperial Porter/Stouts i've come across.

Nogne_014.jpg
Nogne O Saison
Slight bit disappointed with this one. Has a nice "citrus and spice" flavour profile to it, but reminds me more of a Belgian Blonde in the richness of its body. It's missing the real light lively body, and subtle funk, spice and sour notes that really makes a Saison authentic. Good regardless.

Nogne_015.jpg
Nogne O IPA
Really liked this one. The nose doesn't give away too much; some citrusy, apricoty C-type hops, yeah, sure, but one sip and it really lets loose. At 7.5% you wouldn't expect it to be timid, and it really packs as much flavour as possible into that body. Good malt backbone, plenty of vibrant American hops and a big bitter finish that will certainly make a man out you...if the abv doesn't.
500ml bottle seemed to go very quickly! :icon_drunk:

On a similar vein I picked up this the other day.
View attachment 27340
Not actually my pic of in the glass as this is after the event...
It's a light coloured weizenbock, similar to the vitus, but with a hop hit on the nose and flavour as well before all that nice weizen character comes through.
I really liked it.
Where bouts did this come from Bconnery? Ah forget it, I just read the rest of the thread.......

View attachment 27380
Nogne O IPA
Really liked this one. The nose doesn't give away too much; some citrusy, apricoty C-type hops, yeah, sure, but one sip and it really lets loose. At 7.5% you wouldn't expect it to be timid, and it really packs as much flavour as possible into that body. Good malt backbone, plenty of vibrant American hops and a big bitter finish that will certainly make a man out you...if the abv doesn't.
500ml bottle seemed to go very quickly! :icon_drunk:

Yum. I have enjoyed the nogne beers I've tried so far, am thinking the IPA might be next

Tonight i have opened the Rogue Chipotle ale.

Now being a chilli head i was both excited and apreshensive. Chilli beers seem to polorise the love it or hate it in brewers and beer lovers more than any other.

Well i love it. Its actually not as "chilli" as i expected.

Pours with the most wonderful Orange to pale amber colour, clear with a nice white head.

My initial impression of aroma was Coca cola :blink: But its not. Its a mix of sweet malt, spicy hops and smoky chilli. It smells devine. Mainly malt and cilli, the hops are fairly laid back.

Flavour is smooth amd malty, a touch of hops but mainly a spicy, smokey chilli character that mingles well with the malt. Its ballanced and very drinkable.

After a mouthfull or 2 you get a touch of heat in the throat. then at the end of the bottle is a mild warmth that fills your mouth and lingers well after.

A greeat beer, well ballanced, well crafted, Well made. A bit over priced for what you get but these things have to be ried once hey.

I will be making a batch of something similar this winter as well :)

cheers

RogueChipotleAle832x1248.jpg

Hmm, as another chilli head you've got me thinking there, Tony. I'd never really thought a chilli beer was a good idea despite loving chilli in food. Something about it just didn't appeal. But I think you may have convinced me it's worth a go. Seems like a malty backbone is needed to balance the heat. Any thoughts on what malts and hops they might have used?

Anyway, thanks for a thought-provoking review. :)

And Grant and Muggus, I hate you. :( :lol:

Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock again...

Man this went down so well with a garlic and anchovy laden chilli pizza. It is like the Muhammad Ali of food pairing; definitely stands its ground.
The perfect beer for hearing rain against the windows while staying well warm (OK maybe Aventinus is up there too).

A Sad moment! The last bottle of the mixed 6 pack.

It's the Urbock and very enjoyable it is.

Not much different to the marzen to me. only about 1% abv bigger so hardly a bock. The main difference is less bacon and smoke and more bready munich like malt character.

Medium boddied, feels like it was mashed coolish for a bock.

But its not about the bock........... its about the smoke in one of these beers and the character is great. More ballanced with the malt than the marzen. Its a bit less of a slap in the chops. More of a sipper with the extra maltiness.

I still get the smoke on the front of the tongue which i like :)

All in all a great beer but i was a bit disapointed it wanst "bigger"

I think the Vitus spoiled me.

cheers

Urbock832x1248.jpg

I said something similar to my GF last night re: gravity, it would be nice to brew one to about 10% abv.. so it is a proper toe warmer.

http://www.rogue.com/beers/chipotle-ale.php

Its a hard beer to describe mate.

Only one way to find out. Get yourseld one. I can recomend it.
Certainly an odd beast that one Tony. I sort of picked up a bottle of it on a whim.
I really wasn't too sure what to expect with it, especially with previous experiences with "chilli beers". :icon_vomit:

I quite liked it. The chilli is there, but only a hint of heat and capsicum flavour, it's more smokey with a nice malt body and intergrated hops.

Im mashing a Chipotle ale right now! Ive had one planned for a couple years but never got to it. Im all inspired now.

Chipotles are perfect for brewing because they have been smoke dried anmd have bugger all "vegetable" character left. There like leather.

Im going to start a seperate thread for this one with pics. Its going to be great.

cheers

Im mashing a Chipotle ale right now! Ive had one planned for a couple years but never got to it. Im all inspired now.

Chipotles are perfect for brewing because they have been smoke dried anmd have bugger all "vegetable" character left. There like leather.

Im going to start a seperate thread for this one with pics. Its going to be great.

cheers
Sounds great Tony!
When are you thinking of chucking the chillis in? Mash? Boil? Primary? Secondary? Bottle? All of the above!!! :icon_drool2:

I have chopped and added 3 to the mash. May FWH 2 of them and then add a few 15 Min from the end.

I have no idea when the best time to add them is so i will stretch it out over the process to try and get some complexity about the chilli presence.

cheers

I have chopped and added 3 to the mash. May FWH 2 of them and then add a few 15 Min from the end.

I have no idea when the best time to add them is so i will stretch it out over the process to try and get some complexity about the chilli presence.

cheers
My experiences with chilli and homebrew are varied.

I had a mates homebrew who put whole Birdseyes in each bottle. Was like drinking tobasco! :icon_vomit:
And i've made a ginger beer with 2 birdseyes in it. Chopped them up, chucked them in the boil with the ginger for 15 minutes. Got a bit of capsicum flavour when young and ALOT of heat, considering it was a 24L batch!

Just cracked a cantillon and lindemans gueuze and as nice as the cantillon was I found it a little one dimensional, just dry and sour. The lindemans is far more maltier and some cherry, leather aromas from the yeast. I think it will perform better it the beer I pitched the dregs into... now to wait a few years to find out :(

And Ive still got a timmermans gueuze in the fridge for later :D

Back