Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked myself up a couple of tasty brews for tomorrow night, my birthday.

gallery_7239_412_128579.jpg

Thinking the Meantime, followed by the Trois Pistoles, then the Taddy.

Mmmmm, salivating already

Thinking the Meantime, followed by the Trois Pistoles, then the Taddy.

Mmmmm, salivating already
Nice selection there WB.
I reckon you're probably best off having the Trois Pistoles last. It's quite a dark, strong and intense sort of beer, whereas the Porter is just really nice and smooth, and might lose some of its appeal after something as potent. If you're planning on tasting them in the one session that is. :icon_drunk:

Grand Ridge Hatlifter Stout :icon_drool2:
hatlifter_stout.jpg

It's almost scotch-like on the palate. Incredibly smooth, to say the least. Great roast on this one, really balanced well. An exceptional stout, imo.

Had the boys over for a session on Saturday night:
session.jpg

Kegs and HB flowin' every which way, too. Dizzy Sunday.

reVox

Good god that is one hell of a selection there reVox! :icon_drool2:

Did you get the Yankee (Great Divide, Arrogant *******, Dogfish Head, etc) beers overseas?

Yeah, I brought them back for a Beer and Brewer article/competition that never made it to publication. The Odell IPA has the most amazing U.S. aroma of any beer I've ever tried. Ever. I found the empty bottle, laying on it's side in my back yard the day after our session.. picked it up, plopped my nose straight on the top and STILL pulled an amazing hit of aroma. Truly astounding!

All of the U.S. beers are incredible, and my favourite picks from a recent trip home, with exception of Fat Tire. Not a bad beer, by any means, but threw it into the article as it's often talked about, even revered here in Australia. Figured the winner could snatch a bottle for his/her own judgement.

reVox

Get your hands around Great Divide Titan IPA when you get a chance ReVox. sticky resiny pine sap aroma... i kept the bottle and could smell it for days!

For anyone in Newy, Warners now have a pretty good range of flying Dog Beers in, and have a special at the moment if you buy a mixed six pack you get -10% and a free Flying Dog pint glass...

Also noticed they have added the Nogne range as well, and I also grabbed a Spaten Okky and a Lowenbrau Okky that I hadn't noticed there before

Rogue Imperial IPA.

I've never had a commercial American IPA before, let alone an imperial. Wow. I was expecting hops and it sure delivered. Plenty of american hop aroma, but nothing compared to the hop flavour punch. Plenty of malt going on to balance things out. Pretty complex stuff happening in my mouth right now. Bitter, but not as bitter as I expected. Very drinkable. I do believe I'll have another.

IMG_1284.jpg

Just adding to my earlier post, I have tried a few of the Flying Dog beers, and I'm mighty impressed!

The Snake Dog IPA I was impressed with, big malty backbone thats well balanced with a nice hoopy finish. A good smooth IPA for those that don't like too much hop dominance, but very impressive all the same.

The other one that really impressed me was the Imperial Porter. Man, what a beer! Big aroma of malt mixed with dark plum and dried fruits, raisins and backgounds of roast, very inviting. First mouthfull brings malts of bread and biscuit sweetness mixed with roasts and fruit soaked in a fortified, and a smooth lingering well balanced bitterness... really intriguing beer, so much hapenning, I love it. I'm definitely going back for some more of this before the special runs out... :D

Sorry no pics tonight, but I have another of each and maybe I'll find the camera

Last beer of the night for me is the Mikkeller Big worse barley wine... wow again! Pours like a big soupy caramel milkshake, a half a finger of head dissipates down to a thin line quickly. Big malty nose with notes of toffee , dried fruit and vanilla. First taste in the mouth you feel like you have a beer that you could fair dinkum chew... Big maltiness and toffee shine through on the early palate followed with dark fruit, vanilla and the alcohol come flooding in and are finally chased away with a long long grassy like bitterness and the alcohol of this 12% brut.

I was a bit iffy about paying $20+ for a pint bottle of this beer, but I think it was worth it for a one off taste... might be something I'll splurge on again if I get tired of looking for new beers, but I reckon I'll have a crack at making some BW's of my own before coming a regular purchaser of this one

Just adding to my earlier post, I have tried a few of the Flying Dog beers, and I'm mighty impressed!

The Snake Dog IPA I was impressed with, big malty backbone thats well balanced with a nice hoopy finish. A good smooth IPA for those that don't like too much hop dominance, but very impressive all the same.

The other one that really impressed me was the Imperial Porter. Man, what a beer! Big aroma of malt mixed with dark plum and dried fruits, raisins and backgounds of roast, very inviting. First mouthfull brings malts of bread and biscuit sweetness mixed with roasts and fruit soaked in a fortified, and a smooth lingering well balanced bitterness... really intriguing beer, so much hapenning, I love it. I'm definitely going back for some more of this before the special runs out... :D

Sorry no pics tonight, but I have another of each and maybe I'll find the camera

Here.. I'll help ya with flying dog pics :p

flying_dog.jpg

flying_dog2.jpg

Shot on the recent trip home.. wish I was knocking back a few tonight. FD available in Australia now?

Cheers,
reVox

Schooey........ where can i find said Warners at the bay bottle shop?

Its on Hillsborough Road, right next to the pub. If you're heading from Cardiff to Wb, turn left at the big roundy-bout and head up the hill and turn at the pretty blue sign that says "Liesure precinct"

They really have a good selection of beers now, I could really go nuts in there :blink:

thanks mate

Sounds like a lunch hour drive tomorrow :)

No worries mate, If you're heading from town just go down the Charly bypass and take the Hillsborough Road exit and follow it down the hill and its on your left

Getting into the Nogne-O beers :icon_drool2:

Nogne_001.jpg
Nogne-O Wit
Not what i'd call another Hoegaarden clone. A bit fruitier, less spice driven, posibly not as creamy/smooth palate-wise, but I thought it was well done.

Nogne_002.jpg
Nogne-O Bitter
'Twas ok. Flavours and palate probably hit the mark, but didn't really seem to have that extra kick that a good Pommy bitter will have, hopwise or maltwise, a bit restrained on both fronts.

Nogne_003.jpg
Nogne-O Amber
Really nice amber ale. Good malt body, sweet and well textured, with a decent hit of American hopiness, not to mention a hint of complimentary dried fruit complexity. Probably my fav so far.

Nogne_004.jpg
Nogne-O Brown
Highly sessionable* dark ale in my eyes. Leaner palate than most of the others, would probably pass as a brown porter in flavour, and kind of reminds me a bit of Tooheys Old (only so much better).

* If you're made of money! :blink:

Greetings all,

Ben from Bridge Road Brewery has launched his latest seasonal: The Harvest.

The_Harvest.jpg

I love this beer. It has a light malt base, which is more pronounced on tap than in the bottle. It uses three hops, two of which are wet and unavailable to us. They leave a lovely citrus aroma and flavor. It is dry hopped with galaxy pellets. I have 80 left and will not be sharing them with the unappreciative. It is reminiscent, to me, of the lovely Hop Thief by James Squire from a few years ago. I have not enjoyed a beer as much as this one in a long time.

I believe they have made their way to bars in Melbourne so if you get a chance, give it a try, it really is fantastic.

Cheers, Heathen

Nogne_006.jpg
Nogne O Havrestout
They describe it as a sweet stout, sounds about right. Smooth, moderately roasted malt character, not hugely bitter or aggressive.

Nogne_007.jpg
Nogne O Pale Ale
Another one of these big Euro-style APA's. Very well made, resiny C-type hops with a decent malt body that carries them with ease.

My Turn :D

I made it to Warners at the Bay and got all confused.......... brain overload............ too many options........... sensory overload............ what to buy............ I dont know some of these beers............. sensory overload............ Oooooooooooo........ Schlenkeria :eek: and it went from there!

All the Rogue beers......... i had to try one. Ive made massive hop beers and thought i could make a batch for the cost of a bottle (Will still try one one day) so i went with the chipotle ale as soon as i saw it. I have looked at it on line many times dreaming of what its like, being a chilli head. Friday night i find out :)

here is what i got

Beers0905201248x832.jpg

And here is the first beer i have tried from the batch.

Wiehenstephaner Korbinian.

A Doppelbock. Mid to full bodied, just enough carb to hold a 1/4 inch head as you drink. 7.4% abv and around the 30 EBC mark at a guess.
Big malt! Lots of malt, but really easy to drink. Very clean and smooth. Not a quaffer but not a sipper either. Awsome ballance of drinkability to big beer character.
Malt aromas like chocolate and caramel, dark fruits, very sweet on the nose with a spicy edge that cuts the sewwtness.

I have never had a bad Weihenstephaner beer, ever, I love them all, and this was no exception! 4 1/2 stars from me!

Korbinian832x1248.jpg

cheers

Back