Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm seriously gonna regret this tommorrow morning, but here's what I went through tonight!

Ales_006.jpg
Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux
Saison once again springs to one of the top positions of my favourite style with this bigger offering by this fantastic brewery. Not as light bodied as others of the style, at a solid 9.5%alc/vol, but certainly has the spice and characterful yeast flavour in bucketloads, seems to beg another sip.

Ales_007.jpg
Jenlain Ambre
Officially my 2nd Biere de Garde. A darker one this time around, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Malty, slighty spicy, not particularly funky or anything. Not sure what I was suppose to expect, but it seemed nice enough.

Ales_008.jpg
Mikkeller Fra Til
Ok, so I poured this bad boy out, and I seriously wasn't prepared for a dark beer. And by dark, I mean dark, as in, brown head!
The added spices are really prominant on this one too. Quite a clean otherwise, rich, but clean. But the spices really seem to add a meaty element to this beer, which could be overwelming for most. Personally, I could actually see aging potential, but i've done the deed now, and i'd say this'd be a nice beer for a cold winters night.

I dropped in at Platinum Liqour today and grabbed a few darkish beers to get me through the weekend

IMG_3210.JPG

Really looking forward to this

cheers

grant

View attachment 26780
Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
This beer is shit hot! Dare I say anything more. Rich, thick, creamy, plenty of roasted malt complexity. I'd have to say it's pretty much in the same league as Murrays Wild Thing Imperial Stout, but obviously not as roasted being a porter rather than a stout. Certainly the best American beer i've tried to date.

View attachment 26781
Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine
I've had the pleasure of trying quite a number of barley wines of late, this is probably one of the lesser ones. Still a very big beer, plenty of rich malt, dried fruit complexities, and big bitterness, but possibly a bit on the lean side for its strength and slightly harsh. Age would probably help take edge off it.

View attachment 26782
BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013)
An whisky oak aged Imperial stout. A full on beer! Very wood, reminds me of some of the oaked beers i've brewed. A journey beer, the more you sip the more you get, if you can handle the woody astrigency and solid 10%abv. Probably a bit unbalanced, but I thought it was quite intriguing.

Muggus, it looks like you've been into my fridge...... Agree with comparison to Wild Thing with the porter, after having a Meantime London Porter (which had been in the fridge for half a year...I must really drink more) earlier in the week was not expecting it to be so thick. But I got used to it.

I dropped in at Platinum Liqour today and grabbed a few darkish beers to get me through the weekend
Very nice selection there Grant. I tried the Festbier the other day. I am keen to know what style you would put it under.

3511832967_2d42c2e9a6.jpg

My first time on the Urbock.

I really like this beer, even more so than the Marzen. I really enjoy the extra sweetness against the astringency of the smoke, I love that there is only a hint of carbonation as well.

Meantime IPA :icon_drool2:

I've heard the stories and tonight i got to sample it myself, Massive malty hoppy (english) love juice well balanced huge body and low carbonation they could not fit any more awesome into this beer, Meal in a glass. If anyone has tried to clone this please let me know i've gone IPA mad this month. If you see this beer in a bottl'o it would be a sin to pass it by .

IMG_7993.jpg

LC Stimulas IPA

Had to see what all the fuss was about, so off i popped to the LC dining hall in Fitzroy with an understanding SWAMBO and i liked what i tasted. If you don't like dry hopped Cascade this is not the beer for you the cascade hops literally jump out of the glass and punches you in the throat, i love cascade so this beer went down a treat, not as much malt presence as i was expecting and the bitterness was pretty smooth very enjoyable pint and i definately liked it warmer than serving temp, i prefered it to LCPA.

04052009284.jpg

and the dining hall

04052009285.jpg

Muggus............ how much a month do you spend on import beer?

Very nice selection there Grant. I tried the Festbier the other day. I am keen to know what style you would put it under.

I really like this beer, even more so than the Marzen. I really enjoy the extra sweetness against the astringency of the smoke, I love that there is only a hint of carbonation as well.

All I can do is :icon_drool2:

had 2 of the better beers i've ever had last night!

Young's Bitter & Double Choc Stout

Both were fkn awesome & come in a pint size conditioned bottle.

they also have an ale which i will grab next time when i purchase all 3.

i feel like going to the store right now just thinking about them...

Saison tastings at Tankleys Brewery. Started off with a couple of homebrewed Saisons (thanks Petesbrew) and then tried the Prickly Moses 2008 Saison and the Nogne-O Saison.

Prickly Moses 2008 Saison was along the lines of Silly Saison. Perfect for the cooler weather (malty with a dry finish).
PricklyMosesSaison.jpg

Nogne-O Saison was amazing. More on the summer side of the equation. Buy this if you get the opportunity.
Ogno-OSaison.jpg

Great picture!

Nogne-O brown ale - big malty bready dark crisp dried fruit flavours and a satisfying bitter finish. Awesome beer.

IMG_3214.JPG

Had the Festbier while cooking the chook for lunch today, well if mothers day isn't festive, what is?

IMG_3219.JPG

Pours a light amber, fluffy white head, restrained malt aroma, slight hop spice with a very smooth mouthfeel tending to undercarbed finishing with some noble hop bitterness. Not quite an Oktoberfest but a pleasant festive lager

IMG_0238.jpg

Unibroue Ephemere

Ale brewed with apple juice, coriander & curacao.

Muggus............ how much a month do you spend on import beer?
Is there such a thing as spending "too much" on import beer? ;)

But yeah, it'd be quite alot. I tend to buy quite a few (12+ bottles) around once a month, and drink a few a week...depending on my week.
Works out to be somewhere around the $100-200 mark a month I figure.

Luckily I save alot on brewing my own beer!

IMG_0243.jpg

McAuslan St Ambroise oaqtmeal stout

did you know you could buy a whole case of VB for that each week?

Mate, i love your passion for them and check this thread all the time to see what everyone is drinking.

love it :)

cheers

And on that note, onto a beer that costs almost as much as a case of VB...

BLACK_.jpg
Mikkeller Black
First thing I should probably establish here that this beer is an Imperial stout, so it's dark as the ace of spades, possibly darker.
Second thing is that is strong. Lets use the aforementioned beer, VB as a guide. At a fortifying 17.5% alcohol per volume, Black is almost 4 times stronger than VB...and not just in alcohol!
And I guess the third thing i'd like to mention is that this is probably a beer best left in the cellar for a few years. Being a relatively fresh beer (best before 2017) this is kind of like drinking a big Cab Sav from the Barossa or Coonawarra straight after bottling. Intense is an understatement! All the hallmarks of a great stout are there; dark chocolate, deep roast coffee, undertones of dark fruits, but it's somewhat intensified and amplified by alcohol intensity and a body that would be good on almost any bottle of port.

Totally loved it, one hell of an experience, but as the is explained in the description on the website "not a beer for sissies". Very tempted to get a few for the cellar.

Latest posts

Back