Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went on a tour of Eastern Europe yesterday courtesy of Dan Murphy :icon_cheers: and came up with:

eastern_europe.JPG

The Obolon (Ukraine) has a nice hop aroma but otherwise I'd prefer a Melbourne Bitter. Probably why the Soviet Union fell apart.
I was looking forward to the Brok (Poland) at 5.7% ABV. It has a definite alcohol heat in the taste and nice malt and hops but not as hoppy as I was expecting, being Polish.
The two other Czech brews were an eye opener.
The Breznak is a dark golden mild lager with very subtle malt and a lovely balance of hops
However the Zlatopramen with the wench on the label is sensational. It's a riot of malt and hops, and I let it warm up a bit which rewarded me richly. I bet it hasn't changed for decades, unlike the poor old Urquell. I'm going to get a few more, it's what Czech beer is all about :icon_drool2:

Went on a tour of Eastern Europe yesterday courtesy of Dan Murphy :icon_cheers: and came up with:

View attachment 26239

The Obolon (Ukraine) has a nice hop aroma but otherwise I'd prefer a Melbourne Bitter. Probably why the Soviet Union fell apart.
I was looking forward to the Brok (Poland) at 5.7% ABV. It has a definite alcohol heat in the taste and nice malt and hops but not as hoppy as I was expecting, being Polish.
The two other Czech brews were an eye opener.
The Breznak is a dark golden mild lager with very subtle malt and a lovely balance of hops
However the Zlatopramen with the wench on the label is sensational. It's a riot of malt and hops, and I let it warm up a bit which rewarded me richly. I bet it hasn't changed for decades, unlike the poor old Urquell. I'm going to get a few more, it's what Czech beer is all about :icon_drool2:

Good stuff Bribie. Often wonder which of the Czech brews would be the best to grab. Might drop into Murphies tmorrow and grab some Zlatopramen.

Cheers Brad

Good stuff Bribie. Often wonder which of the Czech brews would be the best to grab. Might drop into Murphies tmorrow and grab some Zlatopramen.

Cheers Brad

Just remember not to chill the guts out of it. In Europe generally they drink their beers cold and refreshing but not freezing. Enjoy :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

A few of the big beer samples from the weekend.

beers0409.jpg

The Eagle Heights 9 bullets IPA (barrel aged) and Murrays Wild Thing were outstanding :icon_drool2: .

59 Cuba (not pictured) was not.

Here is the taste of Jamaica mon!

Very sweet, either lactose, very light hopping or extremely underattenuated! Minimal roast flavour but at 7.5% it will do for a Saturday night.

C&B
TDA

Dragon_Stout.jpg

I just can't get enough of this beer and it's even better out of the tap

James Squire IPA

18042009271.jpg

Brother in law and family are landing on us over Anzac weekend and the guy loves his Corona, so as I am bottling my Solly Cerveza out of the cold conditioning fridge in the morning I decided to bottle six into a Corona six-carry-pack and accordingly bought one and trying to chug my way through it.

Corona - la thervaytha math fina as the Spanish would say.

I'm about to crack the third one, I may pour it heavily into a pint glass and flatten/warm it a bit then slug it back in one swallow. Or here's an idea, I still have some of Chappo's limes left that he gave me, I might quarter one and ....

Ha now I get the idea :lol:

God no that didn't work :( ... nothing wrong with the limes Chappo. :)

Bribie how dare you spoil the fruits of my labour on that,that.that.......... stuff????

Tehehehehe at least they will add FLAVOUR? :ph34r:

I have had a few four packs of this from dan murphys that were the same, gushing and so over carbed its not funny. I can understand to a degre but its worse when you take it to a show and try introduce friends/work mates to microbrew beer and end up with stuff that pours like this as i have done. Really embrassasing.
I thought I read someone was getting gushers from Murrays beers. I bought a ctn of Sassy Blondes and they were all gushers - every single bottle. I didnt loose too much though..

I thought I read someone was getting gushers from Murrays beers. I bought a ctn of Sassy Blondes and they were all gushers - every single bottle. I didnt loose too much though..

+1 Sully
The 2-3 you left ere were all gushers very disappointing.... :unsure:

No pics, but did a nice little flight of beers tonight with some good friends:

Sam Smith Taddy Porter
Murrays Porter
Weihenstephan Vitus
Aventinus Eisbock
Judas
Murrays Grand Cru
Kwak

I have to say that I did not enjoy the Judas, and will happily stick with Duvel in the future. I also served the Murrays GC too warm, and it was much less than the original orgasmic experience. The Kwak's crazy banana bread flavour worked well as a dessert.

G'day guys.
Again, a no-pic post, as I tasted a Fat Yak at the Royal Easter Show yesterday.

<sarcasm> ...and it was cheap at only $7.50 for a cold stubbie </sarcasm>

I couldn't wait for the guy to work out why it was pouring with 3/4 glass (cheap plastic disposable cup) of froth, so I pointed out the bottles in the cooler on the counter, and was advised that they were the same price. I wasn't too surprised by the pricing, as I had been gouged for food and drink a few time already.

The flavour is quite hoppy and bitter, with enough malt to support the bitterness, yet not sweet at all. Difficult to assess aroma from a stubbie, but there was some there. Also hard to assess hop flavour without a good sniff of the aroma.

only rated 6/10, due to the limitations of the tasting milieu. Seemed to be quite drinkable and sessionable, but not at that price!
Most AHB forum-ers could replicate this.

Oh, and I have read/heard comments about excess diacetyl. Could not detect any in the bottle I had.
Now it's time to track down some JS new APA release... B)

Friday arvo stress reliever while installing 2 new taps on the keg fridge.
more_photos_001.jpg
Was expecting a big whack of US hop aroma as the yanks tend to do but it wasn't there. Nice beer though, Tastes like an IPA should, bottle said 60 IBU and 7% which is how I like 'em......

popped down to the Goat for a friday afternoon relaxer .... Two new and interesting beers on tap plus a twist.b

A Kolsch and a Steam beer with a randal on the bar.

I love th goat, and I love kolsch, so I wish there were good things to say... but not so much. Its over bitter and teeth squeakingly astringentastringent, and they haven't filtered it, so its cloudy from yeast. And.... well, kolsch yeast tastes a bit like vomit. It was one of the first Foats I have had in ages that I thought was just badly made beer.

I'd like to report on the steam beer (I was really looking forward to trying one) but - it was running through the randall with no option of having it straight. And the randall had lemon and ginger in it, which unfortunately made it taste all like dishwashing liquid.

I'll be back there (probably on Wednesday) to try the steam beer again - but trust me, don't put an beer, any beer at all, through lemon and ginger

On teh other hand ... the Hightail was excellent as usual

A big +1 for the Zlatopramen.

Make sure you check them for used by's at Uncle Dans. I got some a year or so back and they were great.......... Deep golden, malty and hoppy. So i bought a heap of it for a BBQ and they were pale amber coloured and no hops at all. The used bys were almost up and id say they had been cooked somehow.

I now check dates on anything i buy

cheers

img-resized.png
Reduced 73% 665 x 888 (41.83K)//

Here is a glass of our American Pale Ale. Check it out at a few venues in Melbourne. The beer is chock full of Cascade and Galaxy hops. Keep an eye out for our brewing video "A day at the Happy Place Brewing Co", will be posted soon.
Cheers Trav

Found the right place Trav! In that case I might just delete the other thread.

img-resized.png
Reduced 73% 665 x 888 (41.83K)//

Here is a glass of our American Pale Ale. Check it out at a few venues in Melbourne. The beer is chock full of Cascade and Galaxy hops. Keep an eye out for our brewing video "A day at the Happy Place Brewing Co", will be posted soon.
Cheers Trav
Looks fantastic Trav BUT
what about us Qlders? <_<

Tried a few ales over the course of my first week back at work.
Ales_001.jpg
Traquair House Ale
Bloody tasty. Reminds me of Scottish Wee Heavy. Rich, malty, touch smokey, very complex.

Ales_002.jpg
Traquair Jacobite Ale
Amazingly complex beer this one also. I'd best describe it somewhere between a porter, weizenbock and Belgian wit. Roasted malts, fruity esters and phenolics, combined with coriander/orange peel-esque spiciness. A must try!

Ales_003.jpg
Alesmith Mikkeller Stone Belgian Style Tripel Ale
Bit disappointed with this one. Guess being the combined effort of 3 of the most highly regarded craft brewers in the world my expectations were high. But yeah, not a bad Tripel, just not as balanced or complex as other authentic examples from Belgian.

Ales_004.jpg
Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen
Run of the mill sort of Hefeweizen. Flavour is nice with some tropical fruit esters and spice, but a bit subdued for me. Body is a tad on the lean side too.

Ales_005.jpg
Flying Dog Dogtoberfest
Really enjoyed this one. Plenty of nutty, caramelly malt richness, with a body that carries it well without being cloying.

Ales_006.jpg
Flying Dog Road Dog Scottish Porter
Quite a nice porter. Plenty of big roasted notes, reasonably smooth, with some underlying dried fruitiness that seems to add an extra dimension.

Ales_010.jpg
Mikkeller Single Hop Simcoe IPA
Possibly the best APA i've ever tried. Nice solid biscuity malt body plays second fiddle to just HOPS, HOPS, HOPS and more HOPS! Makes me want to go out an buy ridiculous quantities of Simcoe right now and brew one of my own.

Two can play at that game Muggus ;)

jacobite.jpg

Traquair House ale - Dark and deeply malty, loved what I describe as the softness to this beer, great flavour and imperceptible abv.

flying_dogba.jpg

Flying Dog Barley Wine - deep copper colour (sorry about the photo) bready malty falvours, low bitterness with an strong alcohol perception.

paradox.jpg

Brewdog Paradox Whisky Cask aged imperial stout - Complex spicy aromas, somehow savoury on the palate. Almost too much going on with this beer.

kaiserdom.jpg

Kaiserdom Lager in a big ass glass - Got this off a relo over easter. It's a litre stein, the beer itself has some noble hop bitterness but I know a Yorkshireman who brews better lagers.

Last night I sampled a Cantillon Geuze Lambic Bio 2008, I didn't take a photo but I was blown away, just had my perception of what a beer can be completely rewritten. Probably too young, but the zestiness of it was amazing. So sour, so flat, so trippy.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back