Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My GF just came home and said "I got you a beer"... I love her.\

3559011364_1d62c850e7.jpg

Last nite, picture speaks for itself and was a truelly all time great beer experience :icon_drool2:

RISii.JPG

SANY0416.JPG

Last nite, picture speaks for itself and was a truelly all time great beer experience :icon_drool2:

That was finished by the time I wanted to try it! You probably drank mine by mistake :(

Was that at the Wheaty, Jayse? and what was the beer?

Will be in Adelaide on Wednesday night, would be interested in ducking into the Wheaty (or wherever it is) for a pint of that... :icon_drool2:

Anyone interested?

edit: Ahh... answered my own question. The Brew Boys Ace of Spades... Does anyone know if its still on tap at the Earl of Leicester?

Was that at the Wheaty, Jayse? and what was the beer?

Will be in Adelaide on Wednesday night, would be interested in ducking into the Wheaty (or wherever it is) for a pint of that... :icon_drool2:

Anyone interested?

That was at brewboys celler door, it was a one off keg of oak aged russian imperial stout, there is around a couple litres left in the keg but they are not ussually open wednesday, contact details here, you could give em a call and pretty good chance they'll be more then happy to let ya in for a few if they are around.

Nogne_016.jpg
Nogne O DIPA
Yet another great beer from this brewery. I'd go as far as to say it was quite similiar to their IPA, but with more aroma, malt body, length, bitterness and alcohol (in a slightly more obvious way). Really wish beers of this calibre were easier to come by...[note to self: Brew more DIPA's]

Nogne_017.jpg
Matilda Bay Fat Yak Pale Ale
Tried it on tap, but they were selling this with a free glass at Vintage Cellars...how could I say no?
Nice aroma of fruity hops and biscuity malts, it's a beer that could really take down the likes of LCPA, but it simply doesn't deliver on the body; lean bodied, watered down hop flavour, unbalanced bitterness and a slight metallic skunk on the finish. Having said that, it is quite a nice sessionable pale ale, just wish it had more balls!

Also tucked into a Nogne O Imperial Brown ale this evening. Got a bit carried away and forgot to take a pic, but a highly enjoyable American-style brown ale with a bit of extra alcohol bang for your buck...well maybe quite a number of buck...
More malt orientated than hop, with nice flavours of nuts, chocolate and toffee. There's some notes of citrus/grapefruity/grassy American style hops throughout, and hints of dried fruit, leading to a reasonably bitter finish. I liked it...doesn't seem the same without a photo though right? <_<

My bro in law is a pom, but on the bright side :p he brought back some beers for me from England .The brewery is near his parents place at Hook Norton and we spent this arvo working our way through them and they were awesome. Especially liked their Bitter and at 3.5 % it just goes to show a well made full bodied and flavoured beer doesn't have to be high in alcohol.

IMG_8033.jpg

Haven't got any photos in the glass sorry

Hooky Bitter Bright and golden color, Very nutty and well balanced bitterness it was up there in the ibu's too :icon_drool2:
Hooky Gold Golden light amber color, American pale style using williamette hops lots of hop flavour from dry hopping i'd say
Hooky Twelve Days Beautiful dark ruby color heaps of chocolate and plums in this one, loved it wished i had more
Hooky Haymaker I would say this is the same beer as the Bitter but with less bitterness, very sessionable

This brewery is still run by a steam engine ! One of the only kind left in the world and all gravity fed pffwww who needs a march pump

Butcombe Gold Bitter once again golden and clear but with high bitterness bit of butterscotch almost an IPA and dry hopped with fuggles mmmmmmm grassy
Old Hooky This was one of my favorites deep copper color from the crystal malt and chewy as alll f.... Well balanced bitterness and awesome hop aroma.
Double Stout This beer was also a fav (who am i kidding they were all fantastic) Black and dry roastiness but smooth as silk and real chocolatey very similar to Youngs Double choc Stout.

Sorry about the descripts but this is as good as it gets in my inebbreated state. Top fun was had by all

Cheers

Hooky Twelve Days Beautiful dark ruby color heaps of chocolate and plums in this one, loved it wished i had more

I was over there at Christmas time and I thought that this beer was awesome too. I tried a few UK Christmas seasonal beers, but this one was the best.

That was at brewboys celler door, it was a one off keg of oak aged russian imperial stout, there is around a couple litres left in the keg but they are not ussually open wednesday, contact details here, you could give em a call and pretty good chance they'll be more then happy to let ya in for a few if they are around.

The one keg they had went over the weekend. Those that hesitate ..and all that

Just wanted to add to Muggus's earlier comments about the Nogne O IPA. I liked it so much I bought a phat!

IMG_3277.JPG

Wonderful citrus hop aroma, soft mouthfeel on sweet malt followed through with robust bitterness, trailing spicey notes. Great balance, you get the flavours, lots of action going on but it does not overwhelm, you appreciate the alcohol, you wish you could brew this, at least I do.

luverly.

cheers

grant

Check this out:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/05/cheers-to-beers.html

"Cheers to Beers The weird, the fascinating, the potent and the expensive, from around the world
A selection of beers from around the world that simply boggle the mind"

Ive heard of some of them, most others not. Worth a look.....actually that whole site is jam packed full of cool & interesting things. :)

gallery_2445_445_453196.jpg

hmmm, tasty white shield, surely the yard stick for all IPA's. did everyone read the article in Beer and Brewer magazine about IPA...? inspired me to make a trip to Purvis...

cheers Jimmy

Jimmy, can you elaborate a bit please? I'm currently trying to educate myself a bit more on IPAs and would love to hear more about this one. No need to get too technical (as I probably wouldn't get it anyway :D).

the article is great, and i highly recomend you read it/get the mag (a great read!). the article has a lot of detail but the overall jist is IPAs were originally made to be shipped to india for the expats. traditonal english beers didn't last the trip, but load up the beer with hops and it helps the beer to last the long voyage... hence, IPA. this is a very basic overview....

the white shield is considered one of the last true beers made in the Burton region to repersent the original IPA style.

jimmy

hmmm very nice jimmybee.
Love beer stories.

I am sipping on JS Amber my self.
Nice english style.
I got hooked on it a Blackheath Golf club.
JSAA taste better in bottle though

gallery_2445_445_283149.jpg

Holgate Chocolate Porter Tempress

Wow, so smooth and chocolatey, fantatic mouth feel and with a lovely lingering subtle bitterness... very very nice. seductive even...

jimmy

the article is great, and i highly recomend you read it/get the mag (a great read!). the article has a lot of detail but the overall jist is IPAs were originally made to be shipped to india for the expats. traditonal english beers didn't last the trip, but load up the beer with hops and it helps the beer to last the long voyage... hence, IPA. this is a very basic overview....

the white shield is considered one of the last true beers made in the Burton region to repersent the original IPA style.

Sorry, my fault, but I meant the beer rather than the article (which I will try to seek out). The last part is more than enough to get me to seek this one out though. Thanks!

Back