Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a sour but it tastes like " if its infected just call it a sour". Not totally sour but a noticeable tart/sour finish. Im not into sours unfortunately and unfortunately i have made this beer. By accident.View attachment 109021
gotta say i found no trace of infection when i had it a week ago, still have a few bottles but it was definitely on the tart side from the cherries and the wheat

1508655299334.jpeg

Akahsa Brewing Company Hopsmith IPA. Aromatics are spot on, not pungent but everything you'd expect out of a US IPA. It's a good beer overall, 7.2% which you wouldn't know by the taste. If everyone's raving about Hop Hog they should give this a go.

View attachment 109127
Akahsa Brewing Company Hopsmith IPA. Aromatics are spot on, not pungent but everything you'd expect out of a US IPA. It's a good beer overall, 7.2% which you wouldn't know by the taste. If everyone's raving about Hop Hog they should give this a go.
I just had a hop hog on the weekend after not having had one for...years now that I think of it!

Will keep an eye out for this fella.

After a week in Hong Kong; some very nice beers available if you know where to frequent, I'm having a week in Port Douglas. Stopped at Dan's on the way from airport to grab a case of my favourite session pale...

full

Schuppenboer tripel, cognac barrel aged (courtesy IBC)

Took some notes last night but can't find them. Decent tripel, slight alc (but not crazy hot and it was 10% abc).

Inglorious brew stars IQ (inglorious quad, also IBC): wow. Absolutely delicious. Differed from most quads/dark strongs owing to a distinct roast flavour - not so much it became an RIS though. Really worked and has made me consider adding a small amount of roast patent to my about to be bottled DS. Might either do a few bottles or leave till next time but this is a beer I could drink every day. Also 10%abv so could and should are two different things.

IMG_20171027_213010.jpg

Lucky pick at the local bottleshop, really tasty pilsner, not too bitter and a nice flavour. Lighter than it looks in the picture, definitely keen to try and replicate something similar in the near future.

1509166753608.jpeg

Stockade Brewing Hoppy Brown Ale. Against the light it has a red tinge. Strong at 6.8%, you wouldn't know it by the aroma but it certainly is hoppy. It's a fairly pleasent beer, more alcoholic warmth than I was expecting but matches the bitterness well. And it is quite bitter. It's not a hop overload like a few of the beers in the pack and is instead a strong brown ale with hops to match. I'm not tasting some of the flavours listed on the bottle but am overall enjoying it.

View attachment 109268
Stockade Brewing Hoppy Brown Ale. Against the light it has a red tinge. Strong at 6.8%, you wouldn't know it by the aroma but it certainly is hoppy. It's a fairly pleasent beer, more alcoholic warmth than I was expecting but matches the bitterness well. And it is quite bitter. It's not a hop overload like a few of the beers in the pack and is instead a strong brown ale with hops to match. I'm not tasting some of the flavours listed on the bottle but am overall enjoying it.
I voted this my most enjoyed beer at the last beer festival I attended. Very easy drinking and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Heard some unkindness leveled at this beer, but I thought it was an absolute ripper. Well balanced, grainy and a little spicy. Super smooth and easy drinking.
Set you back about the same coin as a slab of LC (bottles), but a totally refreshing change of pace if you want a break from the hoppy stuff.
72 stars out of a possible 75.

20171028_171141_zps7ijn8muz.jpg

The lineup from my service club's Beerfest last weekend (plus a Munich Dunkel of my own brewing not pictured).

The deal is you have to drink all 10 beers before you're allowed to go back to any of them. Was a good night.

Side note, the stein in the background has Miss Pinky in it, great colour and a beer I enjoyed.

BF lineup.jpg

The lineup from my service club's Beerfest last weekend (plus a Munich Dunkel of my own brewing not pictured).

The deal is you have to drink all 10 beers before you're allowed to go back to any of them. Was a good night.

Side note, the stein in the background has Miss Pinky in it, great colour and a beer I enjoyed.

View attachment 109359
Sounds like a big night! Pinky is a great refreshing g drop, is Fred still as good as I remember it being?

Heard some unkindness leveled at this beer, but I thought it was an absolute ripper. Well balanced, grainy and a little spicy. Super smooth and easy drinking.
Set you back about the same coin as a slab of LC (bottles), but a totally refreshing change of pace if you want a break from the hoppy stuff.
72 stars out of a possible 75.

20171028_171141_zps7ijn8muz.jpg

I love this stuff. A mate and I used to get them in mini kegs, cook up some German sausages and have our own Oktoberfest no matter what time of year it was.

Sounds like a big night! Pinky is a great refreshing g drop, is Fred still as good as I remember it being?

I recall the first time I had Fred was at Murray's brewery with a plate of spicy buffalo wings and blue cheese sauce. In that context it was brilliant. Cut through the grease and spiciness really nicely with a hoppy freshness. Have to stay, as a standalone beer, whilst it was still good, it didn't rock my world.

Of course, by that stage I was 9 beers in and my palate was all over the place, so I'd probably need to try it again on its own to give a fair review.

Quick unknown grab off the shelf turns out another local craft brewery I never new of. Lose count of them now.
Raspberry Berliner Weisse. This is a very spritzy girly sessionable refresher drink by Boatrocker Brewery in Braeside Vic.
3.3% ABV, 5 IBU,
Rasberry Berliner Weisse1.JPG

IMG_1795.jpg

I don’t like buying beer but my guests only drink Lager & I got none on tap. This is actually quite nice & only $15 a six pack!

Wow. That local one I posted above is $24 six pack
and the brewery is 15 minutes from my place ha..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back