Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westvleteren is great but so expensive and rare. St Bernardus is very close, very delicious and if you can get it, get it.

Hop Heads in Point Cook has St Bernardous pretty regularly so Ive tried a few of them, a few times now. I really like 6. They did have a Westvleteren as part of a Xmas raffle. Sadly I didnt win but If I did I would have been tempted to sell it going by what the guy at Hop Heads was telling me. Time for Rochefort No.8 I think.

Saw some rave reviews of this in another thread, Gage Roads Little Dove

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487227344.317116.jpg

It was clear before chilling, stacks of chill haze. It's a pleasant beer for sure but not earth shattering. Really sweet aroma of malt and fruit. Wouldn't rush out to buy, I much prefer their IPA.

The best beers I tried on a trip to NZ last week all drank out of a $1 beer glass from the local opshop.

All purchased from the small coastal, farming town of Waipu north of Auckland.

Tuatara mixed sixer and a 650ml IPA
Really fresh and well handled beers !
IMG_7557.JPG
The Helles was a nice showcase of what the hop Pacific Jade brings to the table (herbally, resinous hard to explain for mine)
The NZ Pils is a nice beer to slam down during the "hot" (NZ weather) day, slight citrus not overpowering.
The Wheat was fantastic, super aromatic clove & bannana and taste too with some vanilla aswell.
The IPA is an English style and a great one at that although only 5% and not very bitter so tasted more like a nice ESB to me.
The Sauvinova is a single hop pale ale with you guessed it NS, anyone who doesn't like NS should give this a try first...WOW !
The Aotearoa NZPA I've had before and wasn't overly impressed but this one was fresh and fantastic.
The Amarillo was a "US dark ale" (American brown to me) was pretty good, chocolaty with nice US hop fruit on top.

Liberty Brewing Citra double IPA
IMG_7564.JPG
Freakin wow, 9% and 99 IBU and smooth as hell, so much fruit flavour !

8 Wired iStout
IMG_7602.JPG
Angain wow, never had a bad beer from these guys and this is one of the best Imperial stouts I've ever had (only $11 too)

Garage Project Hapi Daze
IMG_7608.JPG
Real easy to drink this one

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487412377.322958.jpg
Working my way through the Beer Cartel selection. Here's Two Birds's Taco Beer. All I can really taste is citra, not getting any of the coriander, lime and corn. Not a bad drop, but a standard pale with citra to my tastes. Pleasantly clear and good head retention compared to the haze bombs and recent times.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487412539.477859.jpg
Feral Karma Citra. Black IPA apparently but tastes nearly identical to my American Stout. I wasn't expecting the darkness but could smell the black as I whiffed it in the bottle. Decent.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487412638.546951.jpg
Bent spoke Barley Griffin. Only 4.2% and a bit... well... I'm not sure. Tries to be hoppy but isn't as balanced as it should be for what I'm assuming's a session beer. Not to my tastes.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487412763.011456.jpg
Big Shed Brewing Co Golden Stout Time. Who is this brewery? How on earth does it smell like ice cream?! If I was able to convince my wife to close her eyes and have a smell of something she would think this was a Golden Gaytime. Literally, smells like ice cream. Amazing! A thick velvety brew that would be tough to have a few of in a row, but a very interesting and flavour-packed beer that everyone should try. Unlike anything I've had, truly unique.
Ed: laughing at myself that I didn't even pick up on the name if the beer, I'm too busy smelling and am blown away at how much it smells like a Golden Gaytime.

Big shed - couple of blokes from Adelaide. Met them at Sydney Craft Beer Week and spent a good chunk of the day drinking with them in a couple of pubs. Very friendly. They do some interesting beers. Apparently had one that tasted just like Cherry Ripe.

All their beer names seem to be a pun on some theme.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487481263.189444.jpg

Had to visit this Bowen bottle shop y'all been talkin' bout.

Yob, depot located.

This option is rich, dark, and moreish...

Praline is yum.

Cheers, the Brisbane Rain is thankfully here now.

*exhale*

TheWiggman said:
Saw some rave reviews of this in another thread, Gage Roads Little Dove

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487227344.317116.jpg

It was clear before chilling, stacks of chill haze. It's a pleasant beer for sure but not earth shattering. Really sweet aroma of malt and fruit. Wouldn't rush out to buy, I much prefer their IPA.
I'm a big fan of this, but only on tap and not sure why. Not sure if it's due to the keg stuff being fresher than bottled in WA. Weird

Had a pint of the Innate Brewers 'Watch This Space' IIPA at the Sail and Anchor in Freo on Friday. Lovely stuff, very similar to the Pirate Life IIPA I can't seem to stop buying.
Glad the wife was driving!

MO Sonic Prayer IPA 1487658373169.jpg
I was worried about crystal overload looking at the colour but I take that back. Strong malt backbone with a resinous citrus hop profile that tastes strongly citrus without being fruity. A good IPA.

Bentspoke Crankshaft IPA
1487660186808.jpg
Love these cans. For some reason I thought this was a 'session' IPA. Took a sip and thought "son of a gun they've pulled it off". They sure did, it's 5.8%. I preferred the MO but this isn't a bad beer by any means. Par for the course.

Pirate Life Throwback IPA
1487661809960.jpg
This was next in the fridge, explains my suspicions. Unfortunately tastes like beer tea and not an IPA. Much enjoyed the pale, not so much this. It's a mid strength ale with some hop presence, I wish breweries would stop pretending to make it out to be something else.

Try something different, I said to myself perusing the beers on hand at Dans last weekend. Leaving my reading glasses in the ute would help with this. Not being able to translate Spanish to English sealed the deal.
I got the impression they held back on this one, likely cos extra cactus and grapfruit juice in a gose style beer (their words) would be to sour and gross for anybody to drink. Still, refreshing if consumed cold enough. Like a more palatable cerveza.
Otra vez? yeah.. Probably not.

20170218_161615_zpsyexl8txq.jpg

Oh.. much much nicer. Just the way I like my hops. These guys sure brew some fugging delicious beers.

20170219_181514_zpsojnwha1g.jpg

I got these babies in a boxed pack on Friday from Hop Heads but i didnt get a chance to have any over the weekend. Ive had Breaking Bud before and it was really good but i had the Citra Extra Pale Ale once before and thought it was really ordinary. Maybe an old bottle. No date on the bottle but the date on the box is 16 oct 2016. Not great but maybe ok for an import. Im gonna try it now.

1487673025973.jpg

Bought a sixer of pirate life pale.

Definitely a well made beer and everything they want it to be.

I'm just not really a fan though. Tons of fruity hop flavour, decent supporting bitterness but just nothing much in the malt department (and I do like malt).

Good beer, not for me.

manticle said:

I'm just not really a fan though. Tons of fruity hop flavour, decent supporting bitterness but just nothing much in the malt department (and I do like malt).

Good beer, not for me.
Funny you should mention that, had my first Pirate Life IPA yesterday... Almost identical review. Nice, but after all the hype I'd heard I was left disappointed. Plenty of flavour, aroma... yeah but meh... but thin tending to a sweet finish. Not oxidised, as the hop flavour was great, just wish it had a better malt backbone, more IBU's and a drier finish. 6/10 ?

Pretty beer tho.
1487754833090.jpg

manticle said:

Good beer, not for me.
I hope you find it on tap one day. It's probably my favourite beer and I like it in the can, but on tap it's something else.

Latest posts

Back