Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, for tonight's entertainment... Green Flash West Coast IPA WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!! Seriously, talk about a f**kn hopgasm, I think I just lupilin'd my pants.

The smell: big dank and fruity.
The body: light-medium with a touch of dry hop sweetness and slight alcohol warmth.
The flavour: the flavour oh my the flavour. Massive pine (thank you Simcoe), generous touch of dank (thank you Columbus), citrus (Centennial) and floral/orange (Citra). Initial hit from the hop bong is that big pine and fruit, giving way to a grapefruit peel type citrus as the bitterness kicks in, and then BOOM a massive dank piney mouth drying hop flash-back happens and I was sneezing for a solid 10 seconds.

Needless to say, I'm a bit out of breath, well satisfied, and pretty sure we'll hook up again another night.

1487755822443.jpg

Where are you buying Green Flash beers from? I've been looking for Palate Wrecker for about a year now, but everywhere I turn up, they say they can't get any Green Flash beers.

Point of Difference Liquor in Mitcham (melb).... also stock a wee dram going by the name of Southern Courage... :ph34r:

Edit: They claim that they'll try to stock any "rare" beers, so hit them up. If you're not local just buy more to reduce the per bottle p&h. :D

Blind Dog said:
SWIMBO and I just tried a Nomad sideways IPA. I don't like bagging Aussie micros, but F**k me it's the worst beer I've ever tasted. Tastes like ash with a hint of lime. Disgusting; had to spit it out. SWIMBO didn't fare much better. Hoping it was a bad batch
Wish I had of read this before I picked up a 6er. It's now called Nomad Sideways Hoppy Pale Ale so don't know if they've changed the recipe a little. On cracking the cap it started to foam out the top, poured the stubby into my 750ml glass and it still gushed foam everywhere. Second bottle the same. Drinkable just but wouldn't buy again.

mofox1 said:
Now, for tonight's entertainment... Green Flash West Coast IPA WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE!! Seriously, talk about a f**kn hopgasm, I think I just lupilin'd my pants.

The smell: big dank and fruity.
The body: light-medium with a touch of dry hop sweetness and slight alcohol warmth.
The flavour: the flavour oh my the flavour. Massive pine (thank you Simcoe), generous touch of dank (thank you Columbus), citrus (Centennial) and floral/orange (Citra). Initial hit from the hop bong is that big pine and fruit, giving way to a grapefruit peel type citrus as the bitterness kicks in, and then BOOM a massive dank piney mouth drying hop flash-back happens and I was sneezing for a solid 10 seconds.

Needless to say, I'm a bit out of breath, well satisfied, and pretty sure we'll hook up again another night.

attachicon.gif
1487755822443.jpg
Yep, one of my favourite beers. Love their hop head red, and palate wrecker also. Great brewery.
Like Peteru, I haven't been able to find their beers in Oz for a year or two.

IMG_5152.JPG
Just wanted something crisp, clean & low on flavour for a change. Enough kick to wash away the working week without rolling me.
Horses for Courses,

This a pretty angry beer, Feral Warhog

1487925928049.jpg

At 7.5% and oozing citrus and passionfruit hop character this tells you it's an IPA. I don't get the rave reviews of Hop Hog personally, this tastes like what Hop Hog should be. What malt?

Pirate Life IIPA.

1487926923682.jpg

Holy moly, sweet mother of pearl. My first commercial IIPA, there's zero mucking about with this beer. Not as hoppy as the IPA so to speak but rather warming, dank, sweet, alcoholic and lusciously warm. Nothing g like having a can that puts you over the limit for a few hours.

TheWiggman said:
Pirate Life IIPA.

attachicon.gif
1487926923682.jpg

Holy moly, sweet mother of pearl. My first commercial IIPA, there's zero mucking about with this beer. Not as hoppy as the IPA so to speak but rather warming, dank, sweet, alcoholic and lusciously warm. Nothing g like having a can that puts you over the limit for a few hours.
+1. Drinking exactly the same beer at exactly the same time, Wiggy.

For some reason, it appears you got the cloudy version, where mine is crystal clear.

Great hops, great malt, great level of bitterness. They had dropped the ball about 12 months ago, but so glad to see them lift their game again.

Well, my palette is wrecked, might as well go to bed.

WarmerBeer said:
+1. Drinking exactly the same beer at exactly the same time, Wiggy.

For some reason, it appears you got the cloudy version, where mine is crystal clear.

Great hops, great malt, great level of bitterness. They had dropped the ball about 12 months ago, but so glad to see them lift their game again.

Well, my palette is wrecked, might as well go to bed.
Or just drink RIS. But your call softy... :p

On a more serious note, trying this one from across the pond.
1487935790643.jpg

Interesting beer... Definite roast coming thru, but it is really well balanced against both the hop presence and the rye "kick". Not sure I'd call it an IPA, perhaps a hoppy porter is the best description I could give.

Probably won't aspire to recreate it, but happy nonetheless to have tried it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487940396.124520.jpg

Sierra Nevada 'Trip In The Woods' Barrel-Aged Maillard's Odyssey 9.3%

Scratch bar, Milton.

Shared with a friend. Good times

Colonial Brewing co pale ale. Had a few last night. Great solid pale ale. Very happy with the form of this brewery.

Went to the Prince Wales bottle shop in the hunt of cheap Modus Operandi Former Tenant, but none on the shelves

Walked out with a few imported alternatives

10ms96g.jpg

peteru said:
Alternatives? More like major upgrades! :icon_drool2:
yeah, true
though an upgrade in $ also :)

They had a special of $30 for 2 on the heretic and rogue range. $15 each reminds me why I think homebrewing is a good idea ;)

Just had Pirate Life IPA followed by Hop Hog. Both are fairly citrus-focussed, but the Hop Hog is more tangerine-like and a bit less bold and assertive overall. Tastes drier. It's probably more balanced and I think more approachable to the common adventurous drinker. Prefer the PL, but the standard pale ale is better bang for your buck in the hop stakes.

$60 for the Odyssey. Nice to do every now and then... but the barrel aged stuff is magic and I can't brew that atm.

apart from the home brew on the weekend had

garage project pernicious weed. liking this beer allot. been a go to the last few weeks . actually I had 2 one Friday and one Sunday

Modus new lost key XPA . tasty beer but same price as the Sonic Prayer I'll take the sonic prayer .side note - local bar had sonic prayer on tap a few weeks ago . was fantastic out of the tap

and a sixer of six points Bengali that I shared with the missus . big in our house at the moment. just a great drinking beer . they go down way too easy.wife refers to most IPA's as "that hoppy shit" but shes a big fan of the Bengali

Latest posts

Back