Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smashed a very fresh tasting Speakeasy Big Daddy last night, which was delicious and just as I remembered it tasting in SF. One of the world's most prominent home brewers was a little disparaging of my delight in this product, but after hundreds of million IBU bombs, this was refreshing and I kept reaching for it. That said, if I kept reaching for it at this price, I'd be broke in minutes.

Also smashed a Birra del Borgo Re Ale Extra by myself and I was paying for it seeing as I had to travel for a 7:30 family breakfast. Delicious beer, very European sensibilities in an IPA, fruity and herbal, creamy glasses of joy. I got well boozed.

So far today I've cracked open a Mountain Goat Rare Breed Rye IPA

20131225mountaingoatbreweryrarebreedryeipa.jpg

and a 4 Pines brewery Keller Door El Dorado IPA

201312254pinesbrewerykellerdooreldoradoipa.jpg

I just had a Boon Kriek, I forgot that it was lolly water when I bought it. My god it worked as a hair of the dog breakfast beer though.
I still have an Oude Kriek and Oude Geuze up my sleeve.

Lodan said:
I have to thank soundawake for telling me about Belair wine something or other in SA. Fantastic variety, nothing comparable in SA
Got me a haul
attachicon.gif
WP_20131222_001 2.jpg

Always love visting brown town so started with the tumbler. Simply fantastic. Malty and chocolatey. Just enough bitterness to remind you that you are drinking a beer. Would love to have something this delicious on tap at home
attachicon.gif
WP_20131222_004 2.jpg
That's fantastic. I drank a Founders Centennial IPA the other night, I really really enjoyed it. Belair Fine Wines is sending me bloody broke

My one Xmas beer.... Hassle Hop from Burleigh....

image.jpg

Pours a gorgeously clear amber, aromas is sweet malt, resinous hops, slight citrus hint. Very appealing.

First sip is hoppy, resinous, fairly sweet, into a medium finish.

Very nice at this temp, would probably be a touch cloying any warmer.

Bloody nice though on a warm QLD arvo!

Cheers

IMG_20131225_184946.jpg

Nogne O 500. Not.

I had the Nogne O 500 last night. It tastes like my barleywine (above), though a lot sweeter (especially consider 100IBU).

My barleywine is considerably more bitter (and IMHO more balanced), about the same abv (10%) and probably the same amount of hops and malts.

Think a good homebrewer's version of the Sail & Anchor Xmas beer they're trialling at Dans/BWS.

Just enjoying a Schlenkerla Weizen - Smoke and Wheat are a match made in Bamberg (=heaven) IMO. Very fresh through Phoenix. Tastes like it did in Bamberg.

I just made an explicit run to go get the Schlenkerla Eiche while it is out after seeing your post Foles, but alas I had to make do with a Palaner Salvator and the Mashtag thing from Brewdog. I have not tried either yet.

Fresh beer...
is good beer

Bizier said:
I just made an explicit run to go get the Schlenkerla Eiche while it is out after seeing your post Foles, but alas I had to make do with a Palaner Salvator and the Mashtag thing from Brewdog. I have not tried either yet.

Fresh beer...
is good beer
Mr Bizier where did you happen to find the brewdog hashtag?

Cellarbrations Carlisle my brother.

20131226_2018261.jpg
Drinkable, roasty, mildly hoppy brown ale with clean fermentation characteristics. Does not seem nearly the abv which it is.
I like the idea more than the beer. Makes me think of the potentially apocryphal Henry Ford quote about horses.
I guess I have come to expect more aggression from the brewers, so it is all relative.

The Paulaner was okay, though it held not a bead of head and was a little oxy for the age of the beer. Paulaner are seemingly not in the big boy's sand pit when it comes to packaging for distro.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388067084.227047.jpg
Yeastie Boys - Digital IPA

And a few from yesterday...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388067156.325990.jpg
Epic - Armageddon IPA

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388067245.709110.jpg
Mountain Goat - Rare Breed Rye IPA

A lovely tripel.

"Mit hefe" due to being transported on its side on the way home from the bottleo.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388387433.742994.jpg

This is nice. Pungent hop aroma with a malty spicy solid body. Plenty of hop flavour and smooth bitterness. Pretty much what one would expect from a rye IPA.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388391409.699162.jpg

A balanced double IPA if that's possible. Either that or my palate is gone. Good hop aroma, a little bit dank but not ridiculously pungent. Malt and a bit of pine, smooth but restrained bitterness and hides the alcohol very well.
Might chase it with a big eye 'single' IPA.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1388397121.215769.jpg

Back