Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was one of my least favourite beers of my recent US trip, Maple. To be honest, I didn't even recognise it as beer at all. It is sweetish but not a malty sweetness to me and I couldn't taste any hops nor was there any sort of "traditional" bitterness. It was certainly an interesting experience but frankly it seemed closer to a wine to me.

That was one of my least favourite beers of my recent US trip, Maple. To be honest, I didn't even recognise it as beer at all. It is sweetish but not a malty sweetness to me and I couldn't taste any hops nor was there any sort of "traditional" bitterness. It was certainly an interesting experience but frankly it seemed closer to a wine to me.
or a nice liqueur for sipping. Agree with the relation to a 'beer', and no trace of hops or bitterness to balance out that sweetness, but... it did have some really nice qualities and flavours to it, that if nothing else, certainly made me think. Certainly won't be going to buy this in vast quantities, but for the experience, a once-off, I would recommend purely for that experience.

or a nice liqueur for sipping.

Good call. I'm not much of a liqueur drinker but you've definitely explained my own thoughts back to me better than I thought them originally. Glad you found some positives in it that I couldn't.

Not a patch on Muehlen, Pfaffgen or Sion! :p

Sion :icon_drool2:
But if you want a real micro brew koelsch try frieschems brauerei, The brewer Ben is a top bloke and welcomes aussies for a tour and taste. He knocks out a superb stout on nitro and get this he even puts his heffeweizen on nitro as well.

:icon_drool2:

What what what! Noiiiiiiiiice! That would be very interesting indeed.

Yes, it was very smooth, he still carbed the wheaty with CO2 and then switched to nitro once the beer was in the serving tanks, I think due to the length of the line from the cellar to the bar. But over time the effects of the nitro become noticeable in the beer in a good way. The nicest wheat beer on tap that I have had!

Hmmm. I can feel a trip to Kln coming on (and a side trip to Dsseldorf thrown in for good measure).

Hmmm. I can feel a trip to Kln coming on (and a side trip to Dsseldorf thrown in for good measure).

Dsseldorf beer, with only one month shelf life cant get fresher than that. Unless of course you go to the brauerei. :icon_drool2:

Alt_beer.jpg

Dang, what a haul!
I'm gonna have to get onboard the Alt train also.

P7170488.JPG

This weekends haul.
That brew boys maiden ale is even nicer than i remember.

photo.jpg
Feral White and Runt APA
Headed up to Feral on Friday with a couple of mates.

Very nice range. I was impressed with the APA, really well balanced. The Hop Hog IPA (all Galaxy I believe) was beautiful.
The Pilsener was disappointing though. It was not nearly bitter enough and had a cloying honey sweetness, so much so that I was looking for honey as an ingredient on the descriptor.
I've told SWMBO that we have to head up there, the 'food' is amazing ;) :lol:

Was out with friends of SWMBO's last night in a place where Fat Yak was the best tap option. Only had it bottled before. Completely different beer. Nice grassy aroma not at all present in the bottled versions I've had. Very muted hop flavour. Malt backbone was very "Australian" (i.e. insipid). Get the grass into the bottled version and it would be vastly superior. Tap version seemed very confused. Where was the crystal to balance the bitterness? Where was the fruit in the flavour to counter the grassiness? Don't get me wrong, I was very glad to be drinking it instead of the Asahi from the next tap but I must admit I was hoping for something better than in the bottles.

Speaking of better beers in bottles - yesterday's haul:

DSCN1213.JPG

Sierra Nevada Porter and Celebration Ale, Meantime IPA, Southern Tier IPA and Un-earthly IIPA, Brewdog Bashah (not sure I'll like this one but giving it a crack anyway) and 5AM Saint, Rennaisance MIPA IIPA and Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (which SWMBO asked to try, I nearly fell over!), Rogue XS RIS And Brutal Bitter, Mikkeller Big Bad Worst, two Schlenkerla Urbocks, Flying Horse Dirty Angel, Holgate Temptress (another one SWMBO asked for, couldn't believe it) and 2 peach lambics (again, for m'lady).

Does that say $25 on the Mikkeller Big Bad Worst there Bum?
Damn good haul...if you're not happy with the Bashah, i'll happily take it off your hands. :icon_drunk:

Does that say $25 on the Mikkeller Big Bad Worst there Bum?

Sadly, it does. The hands will be shaking when I try that one. Even after a 10% discount that lot cost me $168 or so. I told SWMBO it was her fault for asking for more beers. Don't think I got away with it.

View attachment 39479
Feral White and Runt APA
Headed up to Feral on Friday with a couple of mates.

Very nice range. I was impressed with the APA, really well balanced. The Hop Hog IPA (all Galaxy I believe) was beautiful.
The Pilsener was disappointing though. It was not nearly bitter enough and had a cloying honey sweetness, so much so that I was looking for honey as an ingredient on the descriptor.
I've told SWMBO that we have to head up there, the 'food' is amazing ;) :lol:

I'm fairly sure there is Citra in the Hop Hog. It is def bittered with it.

Was out with friends of SWMBO's last night in a place where Fat Yak was the best tap option. Only had it bottled before. Completely different beer. Nice grassy aroma not at all present in the bottled versions I've had. Very muted hop flavour. Malt backbone was very "Australian" (i.e. insipid). Get the grass into the bottled version and it would be vastly superior. Tap version seemed very confused. Where was the crystal to balance the bitterness? Where was the fruit in the flavour to counter the grassiness? Don't get me wrong, I was very glad to be drinking it instead of the Asahi from the next tap but I must admit I was hoping for something better than in the bottles.

Speaking of better beers in bottles - yesterday's haul:

DSCN1213.JPG

Sierra Nevada Porter and Celebration Ale, Meantime IPA, Southern Tier IPA and Un-earthly IIPA, Brewdog Bashah (not sure I'll like this one but giving it a crack anyway) and 5AM Saint, Rennaisance MIPA IIPA and Craftsman Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (which SWMBO asked to try, I nearly fell over!), Rogue XS RIS And Brutal Bitter, Mikkeller Big Bad Worst, two Schlenkerla Urbocks, Flying Horse Dirty Angel, Holgate Temptress (another one SWMBO asked for, couldn't believe it) and 2 peach lambics (again, for m'lady).

Sweet haul. Slowbeer im guessing? Keen to hear what you think of the Renaissance MPA.

Also, that celebration must be heaps old by now!

Yeah, Slowbeer. The Celebration only has one month less on its BB than the Porter and the porter is the new brown label so it shouldn't be too bad He had loads of SN boxes around the shop so I'm guessing he's just got some new stuff in? Maybe not the Celebration though. US APAs are never ideal here anyway so expectations are low.

I've had the MPA before some time ago. If this batch is the same I'll love it to bits.

Back