Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the last bottle of Pliny, two bottles of Bear Republic XP Pale Ale (even more committed to developing a clone now) and my single bottle of Blind Pig tonight. US haul = gone.

The sad emoticon here seems drastically insufficient.

Currently drinking a bottle of Cantillon Iris 2007. Really interesting beer with lots going on and a moderate (by Cantillon standards) sourness that lets the complexities shine.

Currently drinking a bottle of Cantillon Iris 2007. Really interesting beer with lots going on and a moderate (by Cantillon standards) sourness that lets the complexities shine.

That beer is amazing. Blew me away.

That beer is amazing. Blew me away.

It took me a while to get into it. The sour-bitter combination didn't quite work but after a glass or so I was really digging it. As I say, I thought it just had some nice complexity to it.

Not long got back form fiji and as mist would know, you drink Fiji Bitter or Fiji Gold....

However, there was a new beer "Vonu" that was available..

and what a loverly change!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/vonu-pure-lager/117276/
www.vonubeer.com

to my un-edumucated palete, I'm sure I can taste Nelson Sauvin hops in there. Similar, but not as good as, Knappsteinn.

Nioce beer, and makes trips to Fiji even better!

Beer_002.jpg
Southern Tier Un-Earthly IIPA
Big slap in the face of hops with this one; lots of pine needles and wood, peach and grapefruit, what you expect from an American IPA. Really enjoyed the maltiness of it, a mix of Anzac biscuit and fried beer batter. Good balance with a solid 11% alcohol that kicks in dramatically by the end of (what seemed to be a small) bottle.

St Austell's Tribute - Citrus aroma, thinnish malty body with perhaps a touch of astringency. Didn't really enjoy it.
View attachment 38911

Grolsch Weizen - Clove was more pronounced than banana. Plenty of carbonation and a not much hop character. I didn't expect much of Grolsch given that they are a reasonably big brand, however this was a great beer.
View attachment 38912

Hobgoblin Goliath (4.2%) - After a day of trudging the kids around the Tower of London yesterday, I needed a thirst quencher. I got home and looked at the choices in the beer fridge... Hobgoblin (with the label reading "Traditionally craft-brewed with Pale & Crystal Malts for a sturdy ruby colour and rich malty taste. With a hefty wack of English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings hops..."), Cains Raisin Beer or McEwans 7.2% Champion Ale. I was contemplating that none of the beers were really what I needed, although the Hobgoblin would probably be the best option. It wasn't until I cracked the bottle open that I noticed some additional words "With a hefty wack of English Fuggles and Styrian Goldings hops for a classic refreshing bitterness. Slay your thirst." Awesome. Even served cold it had plenty of hop aroma. Tasting revealed it to have a nice malt presence with hop character poking through-out the flavour range. Great beer and perfect for slaying a giant thirst.
View attachment 38913

Marstons Fever Pitch - Wangled this off my father-in-law as he was hitting his Carlsberg Special Brews. This is brewed to be almost lager like, which they succeded in as it was inoffensive, not much malt character and a hint of hop character. Give me another Hobgoblin Goliath, please?!
View attachment 38914

10pm at night. Imagine being able to surf up until this time?
View attachment 38915

Arggggh! What are you doing drinking out of bottles in England! :icon_cheers:

24062010.jpg

First time I have tried the Vitus.

Very nice wheat, clove and spice, vanilla, not a lot of banana at all, slight alcohol warmth to it.

Overall I really enjoyed this but not as much as Adventinus.......

Anyways ...

Had a little flavour fest the other night.

Sunshine Coast Best Bitter
Bottled 13th May. Strong toffee aroma, high carbonation, no real head, served a bit cold perhaps. Bit dissapointing

But then

Youngs Special London Ale

Nothing like the draught version I remember, a ot stronger at 6.?%
Citrus and spice and all things nice on the nose.
A hearty hoppy, earthy flavour with caramel malt and stewed fruit coming through towards the end.
Beautiful.

Aventinus

"Insanely yummy" "Smells of Tassie farms" - so said Mrs Shed.

One of the nicest banana and clove concoctions I've supped, all wrapped up in a nice fruitcake bundle.

Amazingly my own Munton's Highland Heavy with S-05 followed these up nicely!

beeriness.jpg

Arggggh! What are you doing drinking out of bottles in England! :icon_cheers:

Fair point. I did get to a Fullers pub last night and had an ESB served in a chalice glass (which helped to wash down an ESB/steak pie). I also had a Hook Norton Haymaker with one of the brewers and their marketing people at a pub in Covent Garden. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy either because cellar temp beers on a hot day is a bad idea, hence chilled bottled beers is a winner for me.

I also had Brew Wharf Punjabi (wheat IPA) at Brew Wharf and Duchesse de Bourgone on tap at The Rake - both near London Bridge. The Duchess was way too sweet so not much sourness poked through. Brew Wharf's Punjabi was interesting with the official write up being "pale amber hoppy wheat ale; brewed in the IPA style with a lot of hops, just with a lot of wheat and a touch of interesting colour malts. heavily hopped with Magnum, Simcoe, Amarillo and Chinook, and dry hopped with Citra." I didn't get much hop aroma so perhaps it was an older keg. It was an okay beer, although I need another couple to work out if I liked it or not. Of course they get extra marks for brewing something a bit different.

And a couple more pix...
Brains A Gold (golden ale). I'd just had the standard Brains SA and really enjoyed it. Brains' SA Gold has more hops and less malt presence and is less of a beer for it.
Brains_SA_Gold.jpg

Wychwood Scarecrow (golden ale). Single hop (Target). some citrusy notes and was well suited for the warm weather here, although I'd prefer Wychwood Goliath for enjoying on a hot day.
Wychwood_Scarecrow.jpg

Banks Lions Roar. Another golden ale dedicated to the national obsession. Despite the clear bottle and gimmicky focus, this was quite a nice beer. Plenty of hop aroma during pouring and nice citrusy/biscuity flavours. "Back of the net".
Banks_Lions_Roar.jpg

My 4yo (4 today!) has his preschool fete on the weekend. His teachers have asked for a food/beer to be contributed to the tombola and they even have a beer tent. Whilst "The Hangover" had me envisioning the teachers hitting the bottles tonight, I dropped in a bottle of Timothy Taylor Landlord for the tomobola. Hopefully I'll win it back tomorrow, although it doesn't take much to pick up another fresh example at the local supermarket (less than A$3.60 per bottle).

But then

Youngs Special London Ale

Nothing like the draught version I remember, a ot stronger at 6.?%
Citrus and spice and all things nice on the nose.
A hearty hoppy, earthy flavour with caramel malt and stewed fruit coming through towards the end.
Beautiful.

It's a different beer. One is a special bitter (draught), one is a bottle conditioned ESB. Similar grists and hops but the bottled version is a beer in its own right (one of my current favourites too). Like an english bitter crossed with a tripel, christmas cake in a glass = muy tasty

Had a big one (or two) last night...
Beer_011.jpg
Southern Tier Oak Aged Cuve 2
Apologies for the blurred photo...these potent beers make it tough going!
Hugely oak driven beer, quite abbrasively so. Lots of coconut and toasted flavours mixing with big American hops, big caramel malts, bitter bitterness and big 11% alcohol. Probably one worth keeping away for a few years; I found getting through 650ml a bit of a challenge.

Beer_007.jpg
Brasserie Dieu du Ciel Pch Mortel
Don't ask me to pronounce the name. All you need to know that this is fuckin' (mind the French) fantastic! Like drinking a super concertrated espresso. Beautifully rich and intense roast malts with complexity i've never come across. A must for lovers of stout!

Re-visiting Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale. The first time I had it there was no real aroma to speak of but the beer was tasty enough - leaned a little hard to the sessionable side of things for mine but still alright. This time? It smells metallic and tastes like a kit beer with menthol-like alcohol warmth aftertaste. A really shit beer. Are they back in their own premises? They should go back to whatever borrowed gear they were on when I had my first bottle.

View attachment 39011
Brasserie Dieu du Ciel Pch Mortel
Don't ask me to pronounce the name. All you need to know that this is fuckin' (mind the French) fantastic! Like drinking a super concertrated espresso. Beautifully rich and intense roast malts with complexity i've never come across. A must for lovers of stout!

Had this at the Beer and Brewer fest in Melb, it was a real standout ooohh dark roasted espresso, it was hard to tell that it was beer very nice.

Re-visiting Hargreaves Hill Pale Ale. The first time I had it there was no real aroma to speak of but the beer was tasty enough - leaned a little hard to the sessionable side of things for mine but still alright. This time? It smells metallic and tastes like a kit beer with menthol-like alcohol warmth aftertaste. A really shit beer. Are they back in their own premises? They should go back to whatever borrowed gear they were on when I had my first bottle.

i think they have a new brewery in lilydale now.this is a completly different beer on tap though very nice. pick of the range though is still the esb. or the stout seved on nitro at the pub. another trip to yarra glen is starting to sound good now!

I really don't like to pan a brewery like that - especially one that has been through the difficulties they have but this beer was definitely bad enough (and not for reasons that can be explained by poor handling by the retailer) that has me ready to write them off completely. I will try the ESB on your recommendation should I ever see it on tap, though.

Had these tonight....

The youngs london ale, was real bad... had a peppery/ spicy phenolic aroma. I hate being so typical about aromas and flavours but, i had szechwan pepper the other night and the aroma was the same, but with a big serve of paint stripper.....and ...... well the flavour.... i thought dont do it,, but I did.... It was real bad, nothing at all that resembled a London Ale. I think it was either infected or severly light struck...

The Bambardier was OK, nothing special, no real caramel aroma or flavour, not a true english bitter as far as the style goes... i was left a little disatisfied by the flavour.

And then the Southern Tier Imperial OAK Stout (11%) WOW WOW WOW, awesome, so smooth, The alcohol was well masked in this fine well balanced brew. You can taste the hops, but this beer is well balanced and well hopped. Cant wait to try some other Southern Tier!!!!

Cheers

DSCF6150.JPG

DSCF6153.JPG

DSCF6155.JPG

Back