Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put all 4 Steam Exchange Beers in the fridge last night. Scored 2 six packs of each beers (only 1 of the stout) from ANAWBS.

Started off with the Steam Ale. Such an easy drinking beer, a hint of american hops that doesnt overpower the palate like an APA tends to. A well balanced ale. I am a fan of the subtle use of US hops.... B) :rolleyes:

Then the Southerly Bluster Dark Ale. Nice and malty, didnt get the christmas pudding overtones but was nice and chewy and a good example of all i love about dark ales. Left me wanting more.

Couldnt resist the Stout. The dark ale wet my appetite for something more and since it dropped down to 5-6C last night i figured why the hell not? Beeeeewdiful. Big roasty aroma and flavour. A proper stout! Some coffee/choc in there as well. Gave it that extra dimension that made is so more-ish. My personal favourite of the 3 so far.

The IPA is the last one to try, will have a few more tonight.

The boys down there are making some damn fine beer. I should drag my arse down to Goolwa and see for myself!

Cheers for the beers lads. :beerbang:

Their Truffles porter looks very interesting, have to keep an eye out for that one

I think it is a fantastic beer,
Honestly I think the bottled versions do not do the on tap version justice.

So that goes to show how great I like the tap version.

Muggus, I am sure you will find that it was money well spent

PA100530.JPG

How good is that beer Schooey, :icon_drool2:
I am a big fan of it....

Chimay Grande Reserve + Tarago River Shadows of Blue and Gippsland Brie with Lavosh:
chimay_tarago.jpg

Need i divulge more? :icon_drool2:

reVox

Ahhh revox

Great beer and great cheese. How can you go wrong.

I love a red wine with a roast but a good beer with cheese........... it just works!

Top marks.

cheers

kwakyd8.jpg

surprisingly not that good today in the heat. I usually enjoy it, perhaps this bottle is skunked. It doesn't really have any real flavour to it for some reason.

just opened my bottle of Cinq Cents ;)

for some reason when I take photos against the backdrop of my kegerator, the picture looks extremely dark/weird.

cinqot6.jpg

just opened my bottle of Cinq Cents ;)

for some reason when I take photos against the backdrop of my kegerator, the picture looks extremely dark/weird.

cinqot6.jpg
Nice one Quantocks. Probably my least favourite of the Chimays, but its still bloody nice!

Actually have corked one of these and the Rouge in the cellar that've been there a couple of years now...been meaning to do a side-by-side with a fresh one...not sure how they'd age in comparison to the Bleu.

Occasionally on the way home from shopping I like to just sit in the car looking over Pumicestone Passage, wind the window down and have some amber refreshment while I enjoy the view and the breezes.
bribie.jpg

I'm two blocks from the beach so I'm never over the limit but it's not practical to sit and skull a two litre PET of home brew so I pick up a coldie from the Liquorland.

Given the recent condemnation of Tooheys Extra Dry I decided to try a 700ml of Hahn Super Dry today, to see if it was any improvement on on the TED seeing as both beers are in the same Lion Nathan stable.

:icon_vomit:

What is it with Hahn? How can a brewery that produces the quite acceptable Hahn Special (the full strength not the lyte shyte) at the same time produce such disgusting garbage as Hahn Ice and Super Dry? Do they still have a separate brewery or is it all produced at the Tooheys Mega Facility??

mate i think yu will find its produces at all different facilites all over australia.

I have heard they the make tooheys new in Qld and treat the water to make it like sydney water.

Only what i have heard...... and expec to be proved wrong.

cheers

I just got home from a week or so in Phuket - I was assured that there was no good beer in Phucket and that it was going to be a period of choking down low quality SE asin mega swill

well...... I found a nice little place just near my hotel that was serving Hoegardenn, Kostricker Schwarzbier, Weheinstephan Hefe, Fedish?? Lager (helles?), Heineken (everywhere) as well as the local suspects.

And as for the local beers...well, I have to say - theres not a lot wrong with your Singha (failry malty, clean lager) Leo (same) I could leave Tiger alone without crying and Change... I actually developed quite a liking for Chang. 6.2% clean, citrusy and with a nice dry (astringent) finish with apparent alcohol if its anything but ice cold ... I would have drunk it almost exclusively if it wasn't for the 6.2% part. Too strong in the heat and made for early falling down.

It wasn't beer nirvana or anything... but I was quite pleasantly surprised at how much better the Thai mega brew was that ours is.

TB

apparently one of the beers (can't remember which?) is not monitored and can be either 1% alcohol or 8% alcohol? since there is no strict rules on the beer being regulated, no one knows?

or that's what my Thai friend tells me anyway. Not sure if it's Chang or not.

I'm drinking a Oettinger Pils at the moment, not a bad drop actually.

I'm drinking a Oettinger Pils at the moment, not a bad drop actually.

curious as to whether you like the taste or like the price that makes you think you like the taste?

I usually drink Amsterdam Mariner 500mL cans, not because I like the taste :)

curious as to whether you like the taste or like the price that makes you think you like the taste?

I usually drink Amsterdam Mariner 500mL cans, not because I like the taste :)
I'd take Oettinger over Amsterdam merely over the fact that Oettinger comes in brown 330ml bottles.

...and I love brown 330ml bottles! :icon_drool2:

Hahaha maybe it is the price that is making my tastebuds like it, afterall it was $31 a case last Thursday.
Nah seriously, its not that bad, I've tasted worse beers before.
I've also tried the Amsterdam Mariner cans and I think they are going for around the same price.....the bottlos must be trying to get rid of them because no one wants to drink them lol.

Back