Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobilis.jpg
I was dumb enough to pay $26 for a bottle at the Belgian Beer Caf for one of these a few months back.
Luckily I managed to get get this...and a couple of others...for free!

Either way, it ain't great. Reminds me of a poorly made kristalweizen with typical Stella skunkiness and a bit of extra alcohol in there for (not) good measure. Looks fancy but isn't nearly in the same league of most Belgians.

i went to the belgian beer cafe (bluestone) with mum on the weekend, she was introducing me to her new man and he asked me what he should order if he wanted something clean and crisp, i said "get a stella", he said, "that sounds a bit boring", i said, "thats what you asked for".

I was at the belgian beer cafe in the rocks on friday night (i have a problem i know), and i saw them wheeling the bins of empy bottles out, still amazes me how many crown lagers they go through.

i went to the belgian beer cafe (bluestone) with mum on the weekend, she was introducing me to her new man and he asked me what he should order if he wanted something clean and crisp, i said "get a stella", he said, "that sounds a bit boring", i said, "thats what you asked for".

I was at the belgian beer cafe in the rocks on friday night (i have a problem i know), and i saw them wheeling the bins of empy bottles out, still amazes me how many crown lagers they go through.

went there with two girls and a guy, I ordered a Bush, girls had soft drink, so what's the other guy order? that's right, a VB!

who the hell goes to a belgian beer cafe and orders VB? :|

and proceeded to tell me why I shouldn't be spending that sort of money on only 250ml of beer when VB is clearly 375ml and cheaper!

You can lead a horse to water....

....but drowning it is a real bitch.

Sorry, couldn't resist. That line used to be my signature. :lol:

The next time someone points out that the swill is better value for money is clearly only drinking the beer for the alcohol. Counter that argument by telling them that mouthwash or disinfectant spray (listerine and lysol are the most popular with the homeless around these parts) is the best bang for their buck if inebriation is their goal. Reminds me of the people that think that aerosol "cheese" is good. :icon_vomit:

harviestoun.JPG
Picked a couple up from local Liquorland while I was in there trying to hunt up some Urquell - this lager is from Alva in Scotland which I understand is in Clackmannanshire, Scotland at the foot of the Ochil Hills*. A lovely fruity 4.8% lager with Hersbrucke hops my mouth is currently on holiday in Germany. Seeing as the Scots don't grow hops well why the hell not import them from wherever they like :p Actually the Scots for some reason really got the hang of lager brewing before the Poms, it makes a nice chaser to a whisky. However when I was in Scotland Tennents lager was about it.

This brew is bloody nice and at $5 for a 500ml bottle it beats the crapper out of the appalling Tooheys Extra Dry I drank last night as an experiment (see other thread).

Just going to jump onto the CraftBrewer site and see if he does Hersbrucke - if so then I'm hooked.

*ochil? och aye the noo

View attachment 21378
Picked a couple up from local Liquorland while I was in there trying to hunt up some Urquell - this lager is from Alva in Scotland which I understand is in Clackmannanshire, Scotland at the foot of the Ochil Hills*. A lovely fruity 4.8% lager with Hersbrucke hops my mouth is currently on holiday in Germany. Seeing as the Scots don't grow hops well why the hell not import them from wherever they like :p Actually the Scots for some reason really got the hang of lager brewing before the Poms, it makes a nice chaser to a whisky. However when I was in Scotland Tennents lager was about it.

This brew is bloody nice and at $5 for a 500ml bottle it beats the crapper out of the appalling Tooheys Extra Dry I drank last night as an experiment (see other thread).

Just going to jump onto the CraftBrewer site and see if he does Hersbrucke - if so then I'm hooked.

*ochil? och aye the noo
Nice find Bribie!
Tried it for the first time the other day too. Very impressed! One of the hoppiest commercial lagers out there, and in a good way.
Quite a big fan of the other beers of theirs I tried the other day...Bitter & Twisted, and Old Engine Oil. Gotta love the names! :D

paulanerfu0.jpg

decided to grab some of my most favourite beer in the entire world!

being that the wiesn is on also brings back memories, as soon as I grabbed a whiff of this beer it all came flooding back :D

Either way, it ain't great. Reminds me of a poorly made kristalweizen with typical Stella skunkiness and a bit of extra alcohol in there for (not) good measure. Looks fancy but isn't nearly in the same league of most Belgians.

+1

My one and only drink for the day.
I can tell you, it is enough! :lol:
8.5% and a couple of sips gets me back were I was last night.
This one is merely to educate my taste buds, so next time some one slips me their HB Belgian Golden Ale, I know what to look for. :rolleyes:
Linz's version was similar but need longer bottle conditioning before sampling.
Still it isn't a brew that would try to emulate for time being.
Leffe Brune in small quantities is as Belgian as I get.
DSCF3847.JPG

Last nights drink after a warm up JSAA:

20080927mountaingoatindiapaleale.jpg

Found it to be more like a Pale Ale then an India Pale Ale. Must be all the high hop/high malt beers the BABB's boys keep putting on for show and tell at the club night ;)

FWIW raided the Wine Emporium yesterday and picked up a fair few new ones I hadn't had before, plus some more I like having again and again, so should be able to put up a few more pics soon, like today even ;)

Party_Beer_001.jpg
Cracked open one of these the other night.
Very nice indeed. Bit more boozy and drier than similiar Belgians, but I really like the flavour of it...almost fruit cake like!

Deus_002.jpg
Cracked open these two bad boys for my birthday last night.
Did a side=by-side taste of the 04 Chimay Bleu with an 07. Definately a noticable difference; the older beer is a bit thinner and seems to have a bit of 'port-like' character about it. Might save my next one for a few more years down the track.

As for the Deus...fantastic! One of the nicest beers i've had in a long time; looks and smells like a Champagne, and the body does have a similiar efferevscence about it, but there's so much more happening. Quite sweet and you can definately feel the abv, but is deliciously fruity, like apricots and banana, with some complex spiciness.
Probably not worth $50 a bottle, but definately a must-try beer for a special occasion. Good one to share with some company too.

Did a side=by-side taste of the 04 Chimay Bleu with an 07. Definately a noticable difference; the older beer is a bit thinner and seems to have a bit of 'port-like' character about it. Might save my next one for a few more years down the track.

I shared an 05 chimay blue with a mate and the missus on friday and we noticed the same 'port-like' character had started to develop :icon_drool2:

Still waiting for the Lambics i had posted to settle out. Bloody bugs arnt very floculant.

I have them sitting below ground in an old safe pit thats been dug into the concrete floor of my garage. The coolest place in the house.

Cant wait to try it and want to try it bright as it says on the label

cheers

med_gallery_2743_249_110705.jpg

Temple Saison that I picked up in Melbourne last week and just shared with PetesBrew. Orange colour, hints of spices and quite dry. Probably good for a hot summers day.

As mentioned a few posts up I hit up the Wine Emporium on Anne Street and have had a crack at the following over the last couple of nights:

20080928bridgeroadbrewersbavarianwheat.jpg

20080928bridgeroadbrewersblingindiapaleale.jpg

20080929aechtschlenkerlarauchbiermarzen.jpg

20080930meantimelondonpaleale.jpg

20080930twometretallcleansingale.jpg

And tonight's trip to Drinx to locate some 330mL Murrays 2IPA failed, but I did get a few other tasty treats I hadn't had in a stubby before including this one:

200801002burleighbrewingcohefeweizen.jpg

Found this at Figtree cellars and drank it last night. A bit of spice to the weizen, rather nice.

04102008.jpg

cheers

grant

I've gone back to the old faithful, Amsterdam Mariner 500mL cans. A case of 24 x 500mL cans is only 38 bucks at Uncle Dans.

i need another fementer to keep up supply to two kegs, at the moment still waiting on my first fermenter to finish before I can fill another keg :(

amsterdam-mariner-premium-lager.jpg

Latest posts

Back