Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apparently one of the beers (can't remember which?) is not monitored and can be either 1% alcohol or 8% alcohol? since there is no strict rules on the beer being regulated, no one knows?

or that's what my Thai friend tells me anyway. Not sure if it's Chang or not.

Chang
partly true. It's not regulated but 1% is a bit of a stretch. The bottles say 6.4.

Chris

I flew Thai to London ages ago and the beer on board was not, surprise surprise Singha but was Amarit. Bloody lovely and about 6% IIRC.

At that time they had the endless bottomless liquor cart and when it came round first time I chanced my arm and when the hostie asked "would you like a drink, sir?" I said "I would love a genuine Thai beer, thank you, and a double scotch, thanks"

Downed numerous 'boilermakers' and eventually woke up somewhere over the Aral Sea in Central Asia :icon_drunk:
Did the same on the way home to Oz

Couple from last weekend.

La Chouffe. Nice drop this one. huge spicey peppery notes on the palate to me
Aventinus Eisbock. Far to intense for my liking. flavours were very strong. maybe it would be better on a cold night.
Oettinger Pils, nice, but a simple plain lager. Top price though.

La_Chouffe.JPG

Aventinus_Weizen_Eisbock.JPG

Ottinger_Pils.JPG

I really enjoyed the Aventinus Eisbock. Although it was strong :icon_drunk:

Baltika.jpg

Baltika no. 3, 500ml 4-pack $18 from 1st Choice Liquor with a free glass!

Nice lager, not as bitter as German or Czech, tastes very East European like I remember drinking in the Balkans, Greece and even dear old Efes Pilsen from Turkey. Fabulous colour, refreshing hop nose and I'm burping up some very pleasant maltiness. Won't be moving to St Petersburg in a hurry, though :lol:

Couple from last weekend.

La Chouffe. Nice drop this one. huge spicey peppery notes on the palate to me
Aventinus Eisbock. Far to intense for my liking. flavours were very strong. maybe it would be better on a cold night.
Oettinger Pils, nice, but a simple plain lager. Top price though.
Aventinus Eisbock! :icon_drool2:
I love their normal Weizenbock to death...then i tried this! WOAH!
Needless to say...i must track down some more!

PB030001.jpg

Unibroue Quatre-Centieme (400), brewed to commemorate the founding of Quebec City by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. The picture doesn't really do the colour justice - deep gold, almost orange. Loads of flavour - lots of spicy "Belgian" phenols with a very surprisingly strong sweet malty middle for support. Very effervescent. Delicious. The perfect thing for unwinding after the monthly homebrew club meeting. :super:

View attachment 22256

Unibroue Quatre-Centieme (400), brewed to commemorate the founding of Quebec City by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. The picture doesn't really do the colour justice - deep gold, almost orange. Loads of flavour - lots of spicy "Belgian" phenols with a very surprisingly strong sweet malty middle for support. Very effervescent. Delicious. The perfect thing for unwinding after the monthly homebrew club meeting. :super:

That looks fantastic! I am becoming a big BIG fan of their beers. Have had the La Fin Du Monde and the Maudite and have loved them both.
Would love to get my hands on one of those.

How did the beer hold up.......... being brewed in 1608 and all :)

Looks great. Love the Unibroue beers

cheers

How did the beer hold up.......... being brewed in 1608 and all :)

Better than I'll be in 2370. :) It's very different from their standard fare - very sweet for a Belgian. Not that that's a bad thing, just different. I'm still nursing the last 300ml from that bottle, 70+ minutes after opening it. Dangerous stuff. ;)

not quite as exotic as some but beer none the less B)

konigjo7.jpg

lcbanu7.jpg

Occasionally on the way home from shopping I like to just sit in the car looking over Pumicestone Passage, wind the window down and have some amber refreshment while I enjoy the view and the breezes.
View attachment 21925

I'm two blocks from the beach so I'm never over the limit but it's not practical to sit and skull a two litre PET of home brew so I pick up a coldie from the Liquorland.

Given the recent condemnation of Tooheys Extra Dry I decided to try a 700ml of Hahn Super Dry today, to see if it was any improvement on on the TED seeing as both beers are in the same Lion Nathan stable.

:icon_vomit:

What is it with Hahn? How can a brewery that produces the quite acceptable Hahn Special (the full strength not the lyte shyte) at the same time produce such disgusting garbage as Hahn Ice and Super Dry? Do they still have a separate brewery or is it all produced at the Tooheys Mega Facility??

Nothing quite like having a beer or two while looking at the sun setting over the back passage :p

Picked up a couple of beer I hadnt tried or seen yesterday and one of them was the Wicked Elf PA. My first impressions is its more of an amber ale and not a PA. Upfront cascade aroma but as it warms up you get more and more malt/caramel. Flavour is malt dominate with more of a sweet finish than hop bitterness.

Still a great beer but not an APA.

Wicked_Elf_PA.jpg

Having Knig Pilsener.
Yardy posted pick earlier.
Not so sure if it's a beer I'll purchase again.
Its good but not special.
:unsure:

Having Knig Pilsener.
Yardy posted pick earlier.
Not so sure if it's a beer I'll purchase again.
Its good but not special.
:unsure:

it's not bad for $40.00 Matti :icon_cheers:

cheers

Picked up a couple of beer I hadnt tried or seen yesterday and one of them was the Wicked Elf PA. My first impressions is its more of an amber ale and not a PA. Upfront cascade aroma but as it warms up you get more and more malt/caramel. Flavour is malt dominate with more of a sweet finish than hop bitterness.

Still a great beer but not an APA.

View attachment 22271

I had this last week. As you say, more of an amber ale than a pale but still a great beer.

kabooby :)

Love this stuff, not available here in QLD but Sydney rellies brought me up a six pack.

sheaf.JPG

Latest posts

Back