Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was in Sydney this weekend and picked up a few hard-to-gets from Barny's (man that place has some goooood stuff).

First cab off the rank:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391328353.215512.jpg

Ruination is an appropriate name. *drool*

That ruination is an outstanding IPA, had one fresh in the states along side a lot of other world class IPAs and it was easily the most enjoyable.

Bought a 6 of Whit Rabbit Dark Ale, having one now. What's waste of money, bland, no hops, no malt sweetness, the faintest touch of roast. Ordinary. Tastes very mega. Nothing like I remember fresh on tap a few years ago when first released. Will not buy again.

argon said:
That ruination is an outstanding IPA, had one fresh in the states along side a lot of other world class IPAs and it was easily the most enjoyable.
I really enjoyed it. Certainly no 'gaps' in the hop spectrum.. from the solid bitterness up through the pine cones to the slightly syrupy citrus hop oils, all lifted up by the carbonation into a pungent aroma. Probably as fresh as we could hope to get it here, just ticked over the 'enjoy by' date of 90 days since bottling. I prefer maltier IPAs generally but as far as hop bombs go, this ruled.

20140202_211639.jpg

8 Wired Semi-Conductor.

Markets itself as a session IPA, which is pretty spot on.

The body is thinnish, with enough bitterness to balance, but not overpower. The bitterness is also enough to keep it dry, no fruitsalad or harshness, just sold and 'there'.

I got in the flavour a minty (think mint in Vietnamese food, not mint-lolly) presence. Really lifted this beer above what it was, and made it different from the usual American style IPA. Still a bit of fruit, but that mint sticks out.

20140202_194819.jpg

Brewdog 5am Saint, Hoppy Red Ale.

It's like an American Pale Ale - nothing too flash, but not too shabby (think 4 Pines Pale in good storage), with a dry, slight roasted finish at the end that gives it a point of difference.

Given I normally love Brewdog beers, this is a little disappointing. Worth trying, but not worth settling on.

20140202_201411.jpg

Sorry for the dodgy photo.

This bottle says "Anderson Valley, Hop Ottin' IPA" - 6.7%.

Not real happy with this. It's out of balance, with a modicum of bitterness, virtually no hop aroma and way too sweet. Not malty, sweet.

I also had (but forgot to photo), the Bairds' Rising Sun Pale ale. I actually liked this beer. It's nearly impossible to get normal wheat in an APA, and I reckon this has some unmalted wheat, given the wheat cloudiness is there a tiny bit, and it has that tart flavour associated with a wit. They did this right. Aroma good, bitterness balanced. Very sessionable.

From my batch from Crown Cellars, I've not been happy with them. The wife had one, and didn't rate it. She loves VALE/IPA, and her comment on some of these is "it's not VALE" - she is struggling to see how I can advocate these beers as being indicative of true craft over and above VALE/IPA. She loves the fruit, the balanced bitterness of them and that they aren't too high in ABV%.

Hopefully my selections will be better next time.

Edit: double post, can't delete.

Edit2: where's the fkn picture gone? Damn app. Here it is again.

image.jpg

I think it's a tie between Holgate and Hargreaves Hill for my favourite Vic brewery.

This fella is the definition of a session beer for me, although a few more IBUs would be nice, it's sitting at 10 apparently.
And drinking it during some cooler weather might be an idea...high 30°s isn't really dark mild weather imo.

It's so smooth, toasty (slightly overdone toast but not so much that it becomes an issue at the breakfast table) and just a hint of coffee/chocolate.
Brewed using Macadamias (lashings of, evidently), which may have contributed to the smoothness, and definitely give a subtle nuttiness.

I'm inspired to give it a whirl on my next ESB.
I'm thinking Maris Otter, torrified wheat, light crystal, choc malt, toasted macadamias, EKG and Bramling Cross. Looking forward to it !

Rather than the "pine needles floating in Demazin" type of IPA - this is more like citrus pungent but not dank aroma (mandarin & grapefruit?) with a kind of apricot or mango or some other nondescript stone fruit backing it up, light malts but enough body to balance it (a bit), firm bitterness with a bit of something else I can't describe on the back of the palate. Pretty fresh, bottled in October I think.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391761575.400748.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Rather than the "pine needles floating in Demazin" type of IPA - this is more like citrus pungent but not dank aroma (mandarin & grapefruit?) with a kind of apricot or mango or some other nondescript stone fruit backing it up, light malts but enough body to balance it (a bit), firm bitterness with a bit of something else I can't describe on the back of the palate. Pretty fresh, bottled in October I think.

attachicon.gif
It's a great beer. Super nice on tap. Very different to Big Eye. People seem to rave over it though

Liam_snorkel said:

attachicon.gif
Did you get that locally? Would love to try it.

Picked it up when I was in Sydney last weekend from Barny's. That place is awesome.
Also grabbed some Stone & dogfish beers.

Currently sipping on this:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391768647.624187.jpg

Occasionally I venture to my local Dan's - 1 1/2 hours away.
I bought a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen - lovely refreshing drop.
Kosiousko Pale Ale - bland pale with no real highlights.
Feral Hop Hog - nice bitterness, not enough hop flavour.
Burleigh Brewing Hasslehop - Big, malty but muddled hops. All I got from the flavour was hops, no actual stand out taste,

Oki , most of you know me or what I drink other than home brew yeah? Lots of weird and wonderful commercial beer that I can only aspire to ever brew !
Well this is a funny if not disturbing tale ....
I went to 'craft' the best bottle shop in our country 2013 no doubt ! Just to touch base and see if any new and exciting brews might be available to purchase and rapidly consume ;)
Anyways I found a few new ones and then while talking to one if the honchos I spotted a bottle of piraat in the bottom right , right fridge down the bottom where I look ! Always check the forgotten corners of all places of beer selling places for hidden gems !labeled as an IPA ? (They thoughtfully write one the glass fridge door what the beer behind is and it's price )I have never tried it befor but am pretty sure it isn't an IPA !
Wow I said that's a cool looking IPA ! Yeah he says it Belgian !
Pissing my self on the inside I bought it and am now enjoying this lovely IPA !
Kinda sucks though , the best bottle shop ( which it is , it's fuking awesome ) is happy to let joe dirt walk out with a beer sold under false pretences ! This IPA epidemic is starting to get out if control my friends ;)
View attachment 68579View attachment 68580View attachment 68581
Any ways
It's a bloody loverly drop , pretty much what I expected , sort if a blend of leffe blonde and Duvel

Gigigty gigigty

Indica86: Dans are hit & miss with their beers - possibly/probably due to handling/turnover. SN kellerweiss is nice, so is the porter. Get a ballast point big eye with the new label (white border) if they have it. They also usually have Zywiec (roughly pronounced je-vi-etz) porter which is bullet proof.

Gotta disagree with you re Craft - at least for the beer selection (wine selections incredible).

northside novice said:
Oki , most of you know me or what I drink other than home brew yeah? Lots of weird and wonderful commercial beer that I can only aspire to ever brew !
Well this is a funny if not disturbing tale ....
I went to 'craft' the best bottle shop in our country 2013 no doubt ! Just to touch base and see if any new and exciting brews might be available to purchase and rapidly consume ;)
Anyways I found a few new ones and then while talking to one if the honchos I spotted a bottle of piraat in the bottom right , right fridge down the bottom where I look ! Always check the forgotten corners of all places of beer selling places for hidden gems !labeled as an IPA ? (They thoughtfully write one the glass fridge door what the beer behind is and it's price )I have never tried it befor but am pretty sure it isn't an IPA !
Wow I said that's a cool looking IPA ! Yeah he says it Belgian !
Pissing my self on the inside I bought it and am now enjoying this lovely IPA !
Kinda sucks though , the best bottle shop ( which it is , it's fuking awesome ) is happy to let joe dirt walk out with a beer sold under false pretences ! This IPA epidemic is starting to get out if control my friends ;)
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Any ways
It's a bloody loverly drop , pretty much what I expected , sort if a blend of leffe blonde and Duvel

Gigigty gigigty
Is that standard Piraat or some type of special release? It's a fantastic beer. The label's different to the last time I had it (which was probably 5+ years ago).

Liam_snorkel said:
Gotta disagree with you re Craft - at least for the beer selection (wine selections incredible).
Craft have some good beers but aren't exactly cheap. I think Archive have the best bottle-o in Brissie now.

Latest posts

Back