Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpgimage.jpg

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Our Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale proved to be an eccentric diversion from our previous lineup of innovative Belgian-inspired brews. And considering we’re Stone, that’s really saying something. This unprecedented beer was brewed with cinnamon sticks and Anaheim green chilies, giving it an amazing flavor profile unlike anything that came before it. It certainly didn’t need any enhancement, but we just don’t know when to leave well enough alone (and we’ve demonstrated before that you can, indeed, improve upon perfection). So we decided to tinker with it a bit and laid a small portion to rest in wine barrels. Not wanting to limit our experiment to only red or white wine barrels, we choose both. Treat yourself to a bottle of each and compare. All in the name of science, of course...

cant type much

You have a faro? visit tomorrow? forget all the harsh words like - 'I'm drinking with Ben from Bridge Road tonight"

Drinking a couple of stubbies of Tooheys New.

I'm feeling weary and thirsty, having prepared and laid 10 metres of turf in my backyard today, and I need a quencher.

I've had many many better beers than Tooheys New. Tastes of not very much. I can't detect anything in the way of hops, and very little malt.

But, they are FREE, as I won a sixer at golf (yes, 2nd place was 2 sixers).

After the less than thrilling experience of the Tooheys New, I'm now on a couple of Grolsch Premium Lagers.

Although they are BUL, they are head and shoulders above the New. Again, the Grolsch are FREE, my brother-in-law brought them last weekend when we put on a family BBQ. Reckon I deserved it after feeding them New York cuts and Eye Fillet, along with all the other accoutrements.

Vertical tasting of the 13 Coopers Vintages released. Beers where drank in no particular order to keep the pallet on the ball and not have consecutive years blend into the same taste.

All beers where scored out of 10 and then averaged between the participants.

Highest rating beer was the '00' followed closely by the '98' '99' '06' and '10'

Lowest scoring beers where the '08' and '09'

Sadly this is the last bottle of the '98'. Unless anyone out there is sitting on a case and is in need of one of the other vintages.

Great night was had by all with a trip in coopers beer history.

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1241.jpg

While we where in the mood for old beers.

Hahn- Special vintage 2000

Was quite surprised when this was opened as the cork flew over 5mtrs into the air and onto the roof.
Last year we had the '99 brewed' Millennium Edition and it was flat as a tack.

I was even more surprised when i had a whiff of the beer and it had a strong brettanomyces smell to it.
Taste was also of brett and rich fruitiness.
Still can't really believe that a brett infection would be in there but i wasn't the only one to notice it.

Either way being a big fan of brett and funk i enjoyed the beer for what it was and not what was expected.

IMG_1243.jpg

Riverside 44 Amber
Riverside 77 IPA
Both of these were very delicious, though a little astringent and had a slight phenolic going on, though the remainder was very good quality. I look forward to them doing good things.

Murray's Big Wednesday IPA
Spicy and delicious, I wish I had this on tap so I could review it with a big f* off guzzle instead of pussy-sipping half of a 330ml.

Have a 2icon, Epic Mosaic and Hoptimum to continue with.

From my nation of birth, The Netherlands, La Trappe Quadrupel Trappist.

Although it's 10% ABV, it's extremely well balanced, complex malt and yeast characters.

Lovely winter afternoon sipper.

IMG_2222.jpg

I'm just returned from a month in the UK and many different cask ales.

I took this picture for AHB, my first (of several) draught Timmy Taylor's Landlord, this one enjoyed in a pub garden in Lincoln:
Very fine drop it was too I can tell you,

9092248574_e54691611a.jpg

and this was the best beer I had on my travels.

From The Old Crown, Hesket Newmarket (in the Lake District) and their on-site co-op brewery.
A special place and a special beer to boot, http://www.hesketbrewery.co.uk/beers/doris-90th/, Doris' 90th Birthday Ale, mighty fine.

9150189581_73eb34411e.jpg

image.jpg
Duvel groen 7.5%
Same as duvel red but bottled and sold just after the initial conditioning period, where as the red is bottled fermented an conditioned longer .
Being fresher/quicker this one has a sharper tarter taste , compaired to the softer creamier red .
Exact same brew just delivered quicker and fresher .

It's nice , very tarty .
I like it :)

Had a tasting session with the boys a couple weekends back. We scored them all, palates were wrecked by the end, but heaps of fun and will do another soon.

Best aggregate score went to hop hog, followed by Weihennstephaner Vitus and Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. Rodenbach in at last place, no sour fans here (flame suit on)!

988543_522161947832553_1026265092_n.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Do I see a crown ambassador in there?
Yeah, an '08. It actually got spanked in the scoring, 4 of 5 of us giving it something like 6/10. Found it to be muddy, little oxidised (not in a good way) and just generally underwhelming. Felt a bit bad scoring that one cause one of us donated it and he has 09,10,11 and 12 in storage too and had been anticipating it for years.

Oh man, what a haul :icon_drool2:

Some real crackers in there. I am a sour pussy for the moment but really came around to the Grand Cru by the end. How was Punk IPA in a can?
Reminds me it has been a while since I have had a Tall Poppy too...

9311749307_9d88f71a5c_c.jpg

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin IPA
You see it all....
Grapefruit and pine aroma and taste. Very nicely balanced malt and carbonation with a hit of resin, or what I take to be resin.
Great IPA.

Back