Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cracked the first of the long-awaited beer I helped to name back in March, Gulf Brewery's Dunkel Sturm.

Great drop, plenty of complex flavours with a nutty caramel, bready malt dominance...I wasn't familiar with the Munich Dunkel style, but am a fan now. Apparently it took Peter quite a few goes to get the flavour he was after, but the end result was well worth his patience. He's sent me a mixed case of his beers as my reward, I haven't cracked any of the others yet but am very much looking forward to them after this first one.

Dunkel Sturm.jpg

IMG_20130709_204734_1.jpg

Baird Brewing - Black Smoke Stout

Really nice. Smoke is a little more in the background than I would like but I guess that makes it a bit more of a beer you could spend all winter with. Unfortunately, I only have the one.

bum said:
Heretic - TartUffe

I took a picture but it really isn't worth the effort of uploading. Such a worthless, nothing beer. Waste of money. Smells like air. Tastes like watered-down kit air. I'm sure it takes tremendous skill to make a beer that tastes of nearly nothing but why? Shitful.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you, perhaps less vehemently. I was amazed how little my expectations were met. For the record I have only tasted a couple of Berliner weiss.

I still haven't tasted one. Pretty sure this one was just some food colouring through a sodastream.

Probably not the most wise decision to open this now at 8.5%, but it is just as expected, full of hops and sweet but not cloying malts.

DSC_5169.JPG

EDIT: Just realised that I better give that wall a good scrub tomorrow.

Another edit: Really enjoyed that one, unfortunately I tipped some of the dregs into the glass, but it dropped bright clear by the time I had finished it.
Would happily win this beer at BABBs mini comp again.

EDIT: Just realised that I better give that wall a good scrub tomorrow.
Sack the maid Florian :p .

No picture. Totes ceebs.

Feral - Boris

There's a smell here that really doesn't belong in beer. Can't quite place it though. SWMBO reckons it is like olives but I have called the authorities and she'll be getting the help she needs soon. Tastes really terrific. Light coffee, bitter choc, smooth roast for the colour (or absence thereof). Great mouthfeel (not something I usually bother to note in my impressions).

Bit cheeky not making note of the difference in alc in the bottled version on the webpage, though. Not that that influenced my decision to buy.

Nogne O - 100% Peat Malt

Pretty disappointing. More latex and medicinal notes than brutal smoke insanity. Doesn't seem infected though. First bad beer I've had from them.

bum said:
Nogne O - 100% Peat Malt

Pretty disappointing. More latex and medicinal notes than brutal smoke insanity. Doesn't seem infected though. First bad beer I've had from them.
I had their Imperial IPA the other night which was quite delicious. Was more like a barley wine and at a little over 10% knocked me for 6 (after having casual beers all day...).

That doesn't sound right for 100% peat smoked malt. How would it stack up to rex attitude?

Liam_snorkel said:
That doesn't sound right for 100% peat smoked malt. How would it stack up to rex attitude?
From what I have heard/read the amount of peat varies dramatically.

This is more disappointing but I probably expected more from these guys. I'd say the finish was about the same for the two but this one is pretty bad up front. I keep expecting to feel dentist fingers in my mouth.

But it's 9% so what are you gonna do?

Yeah, Parks, most of their beers are terrific. Had 100 (the beer, not the quantity) the other day and it was tops. Got their Imperial Brown waiting in the fridge too. Looking forward to that.

Fair enough. The most I've used is about 20% and it was substantial, so I just assumed it was all just as pungent.

Just went back to read my impressions of Rex Attitude and it seems almost the same as above.

Maybe my mouth does weird things to peat. I really like 80/- where they cheat and use peat though so dunno.

Nothin special, got it for 4 bucks. Also got 3 Youngs DCS for 3.50 each at BWS.image.jpg

image.jpg

lindemans faro lambic 4.5%

Wikipedia says :
Faro[edit]
Historically, a low-alcohol, sweetened beer made from a blend of lambic and a much lighter, freshly brewed beer (called meertsbier, not necessarily a lambic) to which brown sugar (or sometimes caramel or molasses) was added.[3] Sometimes herbs were added as well. The use of the lighter beer (or even water) and of substandard lambic in the blend made this a cheap, light, sweet beer for everyday use. The 19th century French poet Charles Baudelaire commented on Faro's (to him) disagreeable aftertaste, "It's beer that you drink twice", believing that the Faro in Brussels was brewed from the waters of a river (the Senne or Zenne) that was also used as a sewer.[4]
The sugar was originally added shortly before serving, and therefore did not add carbonation or alcohol to the beverage (because the sugar did not have the time to ferment). Modern faro beer is still characterized by the use of brown sugar and lambic, but is not necessarily a light beer. The use of meertsbier has disappeared, and modern faro is not viewed as cheap or light. Modern faro is bottled, sweetened and pasteurized to prevent refermentation in the bottle. Examples are produced by Cantillon, Boon, Lindemans or Mort Subite.

I say;

its not bad, pretty much as said above, its got a very dry aftertaste and quite sweet , not as much funk as I thought.
its like a neutral tasting kriek, with that smoothy creamy mouth feel krieks have but with the plain/non fruit geuze taste/flavour . ,and very sweet dry finish which is a lot nicer if there is some fruity flavour (kriek) in there, which there is not . If that makes sense ?

half way through it now and I liking more , its like a cross between a tarty heart stopper geuze and an easy drinking fruity kreik,
kinder a 'vanilla kriek '

very interesting for the palate that's for sure :)

Back