Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
North side - where did you get it? Was that the pack they released last year?

Last weekends messy conclusion
orblonde2.JPG
The OR was outstandingly bright and highly carbonated, was a bit sweet though. The Impy Stout was great once it warmed up.
orblonde.JPG

To Øl - Sans Frontière

@ Pumphouse

Hoppy and full of Brett funk absolutely delicious.

Might even have to take a 2nd

ashdfsalaks.jpg

Moon Dog/Kissmeyer - Nordic Saddle Buffer

Pours ugly. Smells a bit like jao but more like sherry, some alc notes. Tastes like a cross between a driptray and a spit bucket at an opendoor yet not offensive. It's a little beery and more than a little winey (some white, some red). This beer is trying to do too many things and succeeding at none. Smoothest beer I've ever had over 14%.

Moondog try and do some interesting things. Unfortunately they don't have the basics of good beer covered.

I loved their pumpkin porter and the Perverse Sexual Amalgam (or whatever) was confused and difficult but strangely enjoyable (well named, I guess).

But, yeah, had some real duds from them. Having said this, it seems insanely well made for a 14.6% beer - shows solid chops. Just poorly designed, maybe.

I've been put off trying much of theirs after a brewery visit. Their wild yeast supply lives just down the road from their domestic yeast supply and their beer tastes like that's the case (at the source - see previous post). I like their ethos but I can't drink ethos.

Make good beer with the basics right, then go experimental. Bacchus brewing is a case in point (as a brewery that have the basics right and make good experimental beer as well).

Bacchus' idea of experimentation leaves me cold but I'm sure the beers are tops. Never heard a bad word.

I didn't know that about their yeast storage but that does not surprise me in the slightest having had a few of their beers.

Had these this arvo:

Anchor liberty ale. Malty, crisp bitterness, a bit of grapefruit aroma but nothing like the new school AIPA's. very nice.

image.jpg

LC Obadiah. Roasty, a bit of spice, low carbonation. Scrumptious. I got the last 3 bottles at the shop.

image.jpg

bum said:
Bacchus' idea of experimentation leaves me cold but I'm sure the beers are tops. Never heard a bad word.I didn't know that about their yeast storage but that does not surprise me in the slightest having had a few of their beers.
Liked their Tripel/IPA - "Lando Kardashian" (great name for us Star War nerds)

I think Melbourne's (now diverse) beer scene is all the richer for having Moondog, and will continue to try one of each of their releases, although I did miss out on the Barrellywine.

bum said:
Bacchus' idea of experimentation leaves me cold but I'm sure the beers are tops. Never heard a bad word.

They make good beer first and the flavours are uncommon enough among other AU brews to mean they meet the definition of experimental. Personally I prefer good beer to wacky beer although I do very much like good, wacky beer. Belgians have been doing good, wacky beer for a while.

Someone will have to pour me a glass of good MD stuff because after my experiences, I'm unlikely to spend money unless convinced otherwise.

manticle said:
because after my experiences, I'm unlikely to spend money unless convinced otherwise.
Understand completely. I'm not putting them forward as one of my favourite breweries or anything. I did think the pumpkin porter was a magic beer but I know enough to approach it with trepidation if they brew it again. If they were a brewery than made a pale, a pilsner and maybe a stout then they wouldn't even get a second look in with me.

Liam_snorkel said:
Had these this arvo:

Anchor liberty ale. Malty, crisp bitterness, a bit of grapefruit aroma but nothing like the new school AIPA's. very nice.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

LC Obadiah. Roasty, a bit of spice, low carbonation. Scrumptious. I got the last 3 bottles at the shop.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Made my way through a pint of the Obadiah tonight. Fantastic beer.

Heretic - TartUffe

I took a picture but it really isn't worth the effort of uploading. Such a worthless, nothing beer. Waste of money. Smells like air. Tastes like watered-down kit air. I'm sure it takes tremendous skill to make a beer that tastes of nearly nothing but why? Shitful.

cascade first harvest 2013. Reminded me of xxxx, has a distinct metallic twang out of the bottle. Have to say my days of chasing first harvest cases are done after trying this one. I have great memories of treacly hop bombs from 2008-09 but they haven't lived up to the name since then.

Sierra nevada torpedos were a nice recovery beer.

Come on my first keg american amber ale, carb the fk up already!

Bear Republic Racer 5 and Hop Rod Rye this arvo and topped off with Liberty Brewing "Darkest Days" Oatmeal Stout. Good times :icon_drool2:

IMG_20130708_195251.jpg

Liberty - Yakima Monster

Nice beer. Not mind blowing but a real nice largeish APA. The sort of US beer I often try to build. Although I'd probably not lean so hard on the Amarillo, Simcoe works a treat here. Possibly my favourite beer out of NZ.

In my glass tonight were a couple of Mexican dark beers:

Los Portales Dark
Negra Modello

And some single malts:

Laphroaig 10 yr old
Ardbeg 10 yr old
Lagavulin 16yr old :icon_drool2:

Back