Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f#@K me. Looks like i need to get out there and try some more commercial stuff.

Stoopid hangin out with brewers and drinking in 2 pubs

What did you think of Murrays Wild Thing?

I still have the majority of a case left...would love to see what a few years would do to it.

What can I say but wow.
Never really had a imperial stout before, but it was just so full of flavour it is hard to know where to start describing it.

i could imagine that in a few years of mellowing it would be just grand

Finally made it up to the Wine Emporium in Brissie today. Damn they have a good selection.... :p

WineEmporium.jpg

didn't have much time but took a quick trip to Uncle Dan's and bought a few random selections to try and get a palate for different styles.

beermg7.jpg

again, nothing too flash.

so I've gone through almost all except the Delirium and the Hansa. A few comments I guess.

First off, the Weihenstephaner was pretty good for a wheatie. Not as good as others I've had, Although i'm still not a huge wheat beer fan. I can't taste any banana? Just loads of clove I guess no matter how hard I try.

HofBrau, the smell and taste brings back a million memories of waking up at 5am in Munchen and smelling the beer being made. I'll never forget that smell, the taste, the experience of being in a foreign country. I guess it's the memories that really make me love this beer.

Little Creatures Pale: this is the second time I've tried this, it has rave reviews but I don't like the flavour. I guess it's the hops? overall, two pints and I struggled to finish both, definitely not something I'll bother with again

Murrays Pale Ale: tipped into a glass, got a huge gob of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Really just didn't like it, it almost tasted like an Aussie Pale K&K that I've done, although not as good. I'll steer well clear from Murrays from now on.

PepperJack: an amazingly good Ale, was a lovely copper colour and even though I wasn't expecting much it was beautifully balanced with malt and hops. Label has no ingredients or anything though so not sure what is used here.

JSGA: This beer blew me away, the smell from the glass was just AWESOME. the flavour? it tasted like honey or syrup on toast, this is my favourite beer right now just from the one sample I had last night.

JS-Pils: Not really the biggest fan of Pilsner, especially after the awesome IPA and Golden Ale.

Budvar: definitely NOT impressed. This smelt awful, tasted awful and kind of reminded me of drinking Tooheys New.

This really is a lovely drop. Had it a few times now :icon_drool2: !

Anyone in the know as to what yeast Ron uses for the Saison?

C&B
TDA

temple_saison.jpg

What vintage Barls?

Been meaning to track down one of those for years...

2006 mate and it was smooth. going back to see if i can get another bottle. ill let you know if there is more than one there.

Continuing my journey of the sour...
Hanssens_001.jpg
Hanssens Oude Kriek
Really stinky lambic this one! Not that much cherry, plenty sourness and saltiness and citrus and cheesy funk and vinegar, seemlingly exploding in the mouth making my tongue water with every sip. Hard to describe...you have to experience it first hand.
Hanssens_003.jpg
Hanssens Oude Gueuze
Didn't enjoy this one as much as the Kriek. Very sour as well, doesn't have the added complexity of the fruit so its more raw with aggressive sour apple and grape, and balsamic vinegar sort of flavour thing happening.

...And after those two beers, my brain hurts from processing too much flavour! :blink:

What vintage Barls?

Been meaning to track down one of those for years...

I have a bunch of 2004 vintage given to me on my birthday by my brew chums.

Was inspired to try one tonight.

Spectacular, really holding its age well. Plums, prunes, and big honey malt. Delicious and very different from my barley wine of similar vinatge which has turned to vegemite.

hardy003small.jpg

good to hear mate im going back to get another bottle or two.

Tried these 2 IPA's I picked up from Platinum Cellars..

Both Nice, prefer the Emersons to the St Peters though...

21012009_001_.jpg

21012009_004_.jpg

picked up a few to try on the way home,

beerev3.jpg

750ml Duvel with large glass was good for 17 bucks I thought.

I know that the little bottle shop in Glebe has had Thomas Hardys the last few times I was there.

ED: And Rukh, you are making me seriously envious.

3218754465_da4ea4ae48.jpg
3219607122_579f84c947.jpg

Had this a minute ago. Found Porters bottlo in Hurlstone Park by accident, and stopped to see their selection, is small but good.

I am unsure if it was intentional, but there was an unquestionable Brett character present. That said, it worked really well. Was like an Orval but sweeter and richer. I also absolutely love the colour of this beer.

picked up a few to try on the way home,

beerev3.jpg

750ml Duvel with large glass was good for 17 bucks I thought.
:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: , nice selection Quatocks. Love the La Trappe quad, very nice indeedy.

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: , nice selection Quatocks. Love the La Trappe quad, very nice indeedy.

Had one experience with the Quad, but it was very burning alcohol (petrol like) with little character - had to pour it. Could it have been heat damaged? I'm assuming it shouldnt taste like that despite having a high ABV. Actually had a coopers vintage 07 that tasted even worse the other night too. Here in Perth a lot of good beers seem to get spoilt by heat somewhere along the way.

3218754465_da4ea4ae48.jpg
3219607122_579f84c947.jpg

Had this a minute ago. Found Porters bottlo in Hurlstone Park by accident, and stopped to see their selection, is small but good.

I am unsure if it was intentional, but there was an unquestionable Brett character present. That said, it worked really well. Was like an Orval but sweeter and richer. I also absolutely love the colour of this beer.
This brewery is just a few blocks from my house, managed to try quite a few of his beers.
I recall the strong, and early batches of the pale ale, having a distinct note of funk, which could be Brett. Probably not intentional i'd say, and it would be a bit of worry if it was...last thing a small microbrewery needs is a Brett infection!

Latest posts

Back