Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. And that's the shelf price - I'd hate to think what it cost at the Belgium Beer Cafe!!! I've only ever paid that much for Duvel, and it'd be a dead-heat between that and the Tripel Karmeliet for which is better value. Different reasons for each, but both bloody wonderful

I'm certainly willing to fix google'able bugs in programs for another!

I think they were around $10-12, hard to be sure since I will drink them after the "money is no object" drunk statement comes in , just after the Bush 12and/or Noel is consumed :blink: .
Once a year at Xmas I hasten to add (in case SWMBO is looking).

For anyone in North Sydney -> I found it in the bottle shop on the corner of Miller and Berry Streets. Looks like they had about 4/5 Rogue beers availble 330ml and 750ml, but I got the last one!! The smoking hot girl at the checkout had no idea when the next shipment might be though...

Is that the posh wine place opposite the Rag & Famish? Didn't think it would do beer...I will investigate.

Augustiner Maximator (Doppelbock). Buttery aroma. Malty, but not cloying. Quite nice. By the way, I also had a few of the other "ator" dopplebocks to do a side by side comparison, but I was running out of time so I just needed to try beers that I hadn't tried before. Oh well... as if there weren't enough reasons to return to Munich.
n616965627_1859859_2886.jpg

Back in the UK now. M&B Mild (had this in Birmingham). Low carbonation, medium body, hints of chocolate and roastiness. Nice beer.
n616965627_1879843_9730.jpg

AleSmith/Mikkeller/Stone - Collaboration Belgian Style Triple Ale. Aroma of candi sugar sweetness, coriander, alcohol and hops. Taste is sweet, although there is a weird upfront bitterness. Carbonation is low and body is medium to full. Could've been a great beer, but the firm upfront bitterness makes it a struggle to finish.
n616965627_1883495_1115.jpg

Harvey & Sons (under the supervision of A. Le Coq and Tartu Brewery of Estonia) - Imperial Extra Double Stout (brewed in 2003). Cork sealed. Very little carbonation. Christmas pudding aroma. Pitch black with no light getting through - not even on the edges. Full bodied with portions of bitterness, sourness and alcohol showing through.
n616965627_1884481_1017.jpg

Is that the posh wine place opposite the Rag & Famish? Didn't think it would do beer...I will investigate.

Yep, I pop in everynow and then, sometimes they have hard to find beers...

cheers
DK

whats going on in the background there....??

:icon_chickcheers:
I think that the extended shutter opening may have created an illusion which reality can not match.

Rukh, you are making me thirsty and I have a beer in my hand... it is just not doing the trick.
The pix are making me thirsty too. At least it is 10pm here so it isn't too bad that I'm heading back to the beer shed (because it is cool enough outside not to require a fridge. Then again, I might need to put my beers in the fridge to keep them warm).

ahhh i have fond memories of Bamberg!!!!! Heaven for the beer hunter
Bamberg was great. We were there on a Sunday and the only things to do was to eat and drink. Mmm... roast schwein.

Yep, I pop in everynow and then, sometimes they have hard to find beers...

cheers
DK

I was in there yesterday.
All stock was pretty picked over.

No rogue or anything new to speak of.
So i settled for a 6 pack of Bridgeroads IPA..... nice beer that one.

Finally got up to First Choice at Willoughby but didn't have my wallet with me... scrounged some cash out of the tray in the car and grabbed a few cheapies just for a try:

* Tui IPA: Sex in a canoe. Not much taste. Sort of like someone took a bad IPA and watered down and carbed it up.

* Deuchars IPA: Not too foul. At $2.45 each or buy two get one free, it's at the same pricepoint as the dreaded Amsterdam but better with a bit of flavour but still not as good even as a reasonable K&B IPA.

* Kilkenny: What did I do to deserve this thin watery stuff in a can? I don't know what happened to Kilkenny, but the almost chewy brew that used to be on tap is now a kiddie drink. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic? :)

Cheers - Fermented.

More Belgian friends...

De_Dolle_001.jpg
First up De Dolle Arabier.
Particularly hoppy golden Belgian beer with a really spicy yeast character. Gushed on me like crazy! Body seemed a bit lean for an 8% brew, really highly carbed that intensified the overall spiciness of this beer. Not so sure if I liked all that much.

De_Dolle_002.jpg
De Dolle Oerbier.
This was much more up my alley. Rich, velvety malt body, complex dried and vinous fruitiness. The finish is very reminisant to that of a big dry red wine of sorts. Very nice!

A few that took my fancy over the Christmas break

Burleigh Brewers hefeweizen
Erdinger Dunkel
and my favourite of the lot
Franziskanner Dunkel

Burleigh_Brewers_Hefeweizen.JPG

Franziskaner_Hefe_Weissbier_Dunkel.JPG

Erdinger_Weisbier_Dunkel.JPG

A couple more

The Delirium was great. a real tasty triple, that was very similar to Murray's Grand Cru.

which brings me to the afternoon spent at the Port Stepens winery.
Great beers and a great location

Delirium_Tremers___Triple.JPG

Murray__s_Wild_Thing_Imperial_Stout.JPG

Murrays_Birdcage.JPG

I've only got a couple of more days left in the UK so my updates to this thread will dry up shortly. :-(

Thornbridge Brewery Jaipur (IPA). This is the beer featured in the 2nd episode of the UK series "Oz and James Drink to Britain" that NigeP62 mentioned in a separate thread. Citrusy aroma. Firm bitterness. Cut through a chicken madras quite nicely.
n616965627_1889630_7298.jpg

Stone Ruination (DIPA) - After having the Thornbridge Brewery Jaipur IPA, Goose Island IPA and the Stone IPA, the DIPA is a welcome smack in the face. Mmm... hops.
n616965627_1890442_4548.jpg

Stone's Oaked Arrogant *******. Oak and citrusy hops showing through. Taste goes oak, malt and then hops. Really good.
n616965627_1891032_67.jpg

Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter. Easy drinking beer along the same lines as Timothy Taylors Landlord.
n616965627_1894257_1316.jpg

Morrissey Fox Blonde Ale. They've tried to create a cross between an ale and a lager. They were successful, but it isn't something to crow about. Perhaps this would make a good "lawnmower beer" or even "gateway beer"?
n616965627_1895077_8582.jpg

Everards Tiger. Another sessionable beer along the lines of Timothy Taylors Landlord.
n616965627_1902852_142.jpg

Black Sheep Bitter. Another excellent session beer.
n616965627_1903256_4736.jpg

another one straight outta germany :

01_pils_340.JPG

i love the label too..

drt0202.jpg

so much love for good pilsners at the moment. <3

This one is a cracker! Loved in on tap in the schwarzwald! Got a glass as well. Will try and post a pic. Any recipe's to mimick a black forest pilsner would be appreciated. There seems to be a special quality to them.

My apologies for the big pix. I'm adding these as I go and I don't think that I can reduce the size.

Back on the RIS wagon. This is the second time that I've had the Samuel Smiths RIS on this trip, although this time I am lining it up against six others (split across two nights). Sam Smiths RIS is the easiest to drink of the RIS's. Flavours are smooth and you don't notice the alcohol. I brought a Murrays RIS across with me and it turned out to be the second smoothest RIS. As far as a favourite, I would be torn between choosing Harvey's RIS (challenging mix of flavours) or Sam Smiths (for its smoothness).
n616965627_1904704_2634.jpg

Stone Imperial Russian Stout. Some sourness in nose and taste.
n616965627_1904824_4715.jpg

Slottskallans Imperial Stout. I'd already had a big night before hitting the RIS's so I don't remember too much by now.
n616965627_1904886_5511.jpg

Fullers ESB - Tasted at the brewery. This beer is great, even after a big night on the imperial stouts.
n616965627_1907050_3253.jpg

Anchor Steam Beer - My palate is probably shot by now, but this tasted like Tooheys New... but better!
n616965627_1912211_639.jpg

Brouwerij De Ranke's XX Bitter. Hop aroma. Thick body. Bitterness from start to finish (with a lingering presence). It has enough maltiness to balance most of the bitterness. Really good beer. Doc mentioned in another thread that he was looking to brew a really hoppy Belgian beer - he should be looking (as a starting point) for clone recipes of this beer.
n616965627_1912227_3975.jpg

De Dolle Brouwers' Stille Nacht 2008. Amazing beer - definitely one of the highlights of my trip. Aroma is a mixture of sweet, sour, cherries and more. Taste is dry, but with hints of sweetness and some sourness. It would be great to try some aged versions of this beer. FYI - Apparently this beer has a five hour boil and it has a starting gravity of 1.115. Very interesting that it tastes so dry.
n616965627_1912498_4170.jpg

A couple more

The Delirium was great. a real tasty triple, that was very similar to Murray's Grand Cru.

which brings me to the afternoon spent at the Port Stepens winery.
Great beers and a great location
What did you think of Murrays Wild Thing?

I still have the majority of a case left...would love to see what a few years would do to it.

Just cracked this little ripper - Double Dead Guy Ale from Rogue. It is awsome, very malty...not like some of the other US IIPA's that focus only on the hops.

For anyone in North Sydney -> I found it in the bottle shop on the corner of Miller and Berry Streets. Looks like they had about 4/5 Rogue beers availble 330ml and 750ml, but I got the last one!! The smoking hot girl at the checkout had no idea when the next shipment might be though...

Also, I had MCT's # 26 of the NSW Xmas case swap beforehand and this is pretty damn close!! Well done!

View attachment 23739

View attachment 23740

Cheers
DK

I love the artwork on some of these american microbrews - If some of our beers were sold in kingbrowns (750ml) with striking artwork at a reasonable price, they would jump off the shelf I reckon. Instead a kingbrown of aussie micro would probably sell for about $10 per single, if it wasnt already condemned by the beer police.

I can't believe I wasted one whole dollar on a Quilmes and a Messina,
Quilmes.jpgMessina.jpg
But the case of Sundown Lager makes up for it, nothing too special, but a good quaffer on this schorching Sydney day.
JSSL.jpg

Starting a funky journey...
Oud_Beersel_003.jpg
Oud Beersel Oude Kriek
Bloody fantastic. Lively, creamy body, dry with a good acidity. Sour cherries on the body, bit of marzipan, not to mention a good dose of funk. I think its the balance that made this one really appealing more than anything, seems spot on.
Oud_Beersel_004.jpg
Oud Beersel Oude Geuze
Bit dryer and funkier than its cherry-blended brother. Really complex, i'm not sure how to describe it, cheesy, sweaty, lemon/citric acidity, peppery spice, apple cider, vinegar.
375ml just disappears with beers this interesting! ...not to mention the hot weather! ;)

didn't have much time but took a quick trip to Uncle Dan's and bought a few random selections to try and get a palate for different styles.

beermg7.jpg

again, nothing too flash.

Latest posts

Back