Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one experience with the Quad, but it was very burning alcohol (petrol like) with little character - had to pour it. Could it have been heat damaged? I'm assuming it shouldnt taste like that despite having a high ABV. Actually had a coopers vintage 07 that tasted even worse the other night too. Here in Perth a lot of good beers seem to get spoilt by heat somewhere along the way.

Foles, I have to say that I had one a few days ago it was really quite smooth and malty with some nice alcohol warmth, certainly not overpowering. It's funny cause I bought the pack which has all four and the only one I didn't like was to Dubbel. I found it very overpowering with alcohol, which I found quite odd as the Tripel and Quad where nothing like that at all.

Don't actually have my own camera any more, but will try to relate my afternoon..

First up, my last bottle of strawberry cider mk III (not commercial, I know), dry, tart, fruity and crystal clear, but the strawberry flavour and colour is much diminished...

Second cab off the rank is a stubbie of murray's Icon 2ipa: Wow, what a beer, bitter, malty, ludicrously hoppy, refreshing after being out in the garden for a couple of hours in 35 degree heat.

Third, Jennings Snecklifter: A nice brown/dark ale, flavour reminescent of tooheys old with a lot more going on in the ester department, especially on the nose, fruity and roast malt notes

Currently on my second dram of Ardbeg 10 yo, not ideal for the heat of summer, but nice under the air conditioner!: For any lover of single malts, can't recommend this enough, apparently the peatiest scotch available, according to one of my housemates in second year of uni: "smells like a glass of fire" :icon_drool2:

This brewery is just a few blocks from my house, managed to try quite a few of his beers.
I recall the strong, and early batches of the pale ale, having a distinct note of funk, which could be Brett. Probably not intentional i'd say, and it would be a bit of worry if it was...last thing a small microbrewery needs is a Brett infection!

I contacted Colin, and he said that there was no intentional Brett. I am going to try a bottle shop in Annandale that is listed as a retailer on the HG site.

I am quite interested to try the fresh beer. And I am also keen to try his stout.

didn't have much time but took a quick trip to Uncle Dan's and bought a few random selections to try and get a palate for different styles.

beermg7.jpg

again, nothing too flash.

Hey Quantocks it might be just me, but I can never see your pics? :(

I contacted Colin, and he said that there was no intentional Brett. I am going to try a bottle shop in Annandale that is listed as a retailer on the HG site.

I am quite interested to try the fresh beer. And I am also keen to try his stout.
His stout is excellent!
Managed to find a 650ml bottle of it at Jims Cellars in Waitara last year. Really nice, smooth, strong stout. Reminded me a bit of Sinha (Lion) Stout.

Lazy Aussie Day at home for Muggus.
Have a few casualties from the last week.
Ausday_Beer_003.jpg
Murrays Anniversary Ale 3
I'd go as far as to say i've drunk this one too young. Everything about it is big; aroma, palate, flavour, bitterness. Rich malt body, hop flavour this is about as subtle as a slap in the face with a dueling glove, somewhat incoherent at this point in time, as barley wines tend to be. Finish is definately interesting though, over all of the big bitterness theres a woody, drying, vinegary note of lovely Brett! :icon_drool2:
Luckily i've got another bottle, because that Brett should has awesome potentional with some extended aging. I left the dregs in the bottle over the course of the week and it smells like Rodenbach! :icon_drunk:

Poperings Hommel Bier
Quite a different sort of Belgian ale. 7.5% alcohol, seems like a Tripel of sorts, not as dense or intensely malty/phenolic. Has a nice peppery, almost peach-like flavour about it. Finish is a bit more bitter than most Belgian strongs, and seems a bit more hoppy overall. Definately worth a try.

Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Getting stuck into this as I speak (or type). Very suprising beer! Damn well near pitch black, you'd expect a big rich malty Belgian-style in the mould of Rochefort or Chimay, instead this beer is somewhat well-attentuated, yet creamy, with a combination of stewed plum Belgian esters with ripe and citrus fruitiness that seems more hop derived. I'm a big fan of this brewery, and this could well be the best thing i've tried from them to date.

glad to hear you liked the trois pistole mugas, red beard and i put down a clone of this a week or so but i havent had the chance to put it in the fermentor yet. will let you know how it goes.

Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Getting stuck into this as I speak (or type). Very suprising beer! Damn well near pitch black, you'd expect a big rich malty Belgian-style in the mould of Rochefort or Chimay, instead this beer is somewhat well-attentuated, yet creamy, with a combination of stewed plum Belgian esters with ripe and citrus fruitiness that seems more hop derived. I'm a big fan of this brewery, and this could well be the best thing i've tried from them to date.

Sounds very tempting, have a bottle in the fridge and may open as the cricket draws to a close later today.

Nige

glad to hear you liked the trois pistole mugas, red beard and i put down a clone of this a week or so but i havent had the chance to put it in the fermentor yet. will let you know how it goes.
Good choice!
What kind of hops did you use? Cause it seems quite hoppy!

Sounds very tempting, have a bottle in the fridge and may open as the cricket draws to a close later today.

Nige
Its not very Australian, but it certainly hits the spot! :D

Went up to Nectar today to have a chat about discounts for our Brew Club members
& walked away with this little collection complete with complimentary glass. B)

malt_pics_002.jpg

Cheers Ross

What was their reaction like?

Very positive.... hopefully have a few things happening by next BABBs night.

cheers ross

Back on topic...what do you reckon to the collection...just drinking the Dark Island now, very nice :)

Good choice!
What kind of hops did you use? Cause it seems quite hoppy!

Its not very Australian, but it certainly hits the spot! :D
it was styr goldings and cech saaz.

Currently on my second dram of Ardbeg 10 yo, not ideal for the heat of summer, but nice under the air conditioner!: For any lover of single malts, can't recommend this enough, apparently the peatiest scotch available, according to one of my housemates in second year of uni: "smells like a glass of fire" :icon_drool2:

:angry: Finished my bottle late last year ya *******.

I can still taste it - yup, its a tad peaty... :lol:

Altho i find laphroaig to be peatier..... :icon_drool2:

Photo13.jpg

a nice half a glass of rogue's irish lager.

cheers mate its actually a full beard or will be in another week or so.
going slightly off topic heres the mo from movember
28112008223.jpg

and here is the beard after 2 weeks
Photo14.jpg

Back