Whats Annoyed You The Most On Ahb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes well looks like were getting the same old "HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DONT USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION FIRST" well i personally dont give a shit if you hate it ,because like a lot of brewers here ,we cant find definitive answers after searching and there are a lot of new brewers who have joined this forum after the original posts on a subject has been posted ,and they quite often have a new or better way of doing something and if we didnt ask the same old questions over and over we would all be doing the same old thing without trying new ideas ,i thought that was what home brewing was all about,trying different ways ,if that was also the case of not asking then i guess we would all be doing k&k with a kilo of sugar and soon be turned off drinking the crap beer,it also keeps you in touch with a personal side of this forum by communicating with someone. anyway sorry for the ranting but i also have just got up so probably grumpy as well
cheers
fergi

Agree Fergi.

It's interesting how some members will complain there is nothing brewing related to discuss and that the forum is going downhill, but at the same time new members and beginners are told to use the search function rather than have their legitimate questions answered.

New brewers need clear advice and seriously, I have a bit of an idea about what I'm doing and I often find the search function difficult to use and specific info difficult to track down.

Kev

ive searched using the same keywords on different occasions and got different results , so what if a questions already been answered does it hurt to answer again for the sake of helping out a new brewer ??

lets get this forum back on track and let the bitchy threads lapse and go back to being a helpful community of brewers willing to assist others in their quest to make quality beers for themselves and others ..

The other problem with the "Do a search newbie" mentality is that over time these will start showing up in the search results....

End result will be along the lines of

1. New member asks question
2. Is told to "use the search function"
3. New member actually manages to use the search function efficiently only to find that the first 15 results are threads where someone has asked a question, and then been told to do a search....

In reality, if you must reply to a new members question, perhaps provide a link to a useful thread of days gone by that will provide them with an answer....

Feel the love guys! Come on now, oh, and have another beer :icon_cheers:

The one and only thing that annoys me on here is when threads get a little personal.

Other than that I think the site is fantastic and a great source of information for brewers of all levels.
I would never of made the transition to AG brewing if it were not for this site.
It has also put me in contact with an old school mate, gday Barra.

Positives far out weigh the negatives, thanks for all contributions to a great site!!

REG

spender_fence_450x350.jpg

Does this put anyone in mind of anything :lol:

staggalee.

People regurgitating information as fact just because they have read it somewhere on the internet.

People regurgitating information as fact just because they have read it somewhere on the internet.

guilty as charged although i try and regurgitate things i've learnt from books and not from the net too much.

i would hope ppl like you though would pipe up when ppl like me are wrong and explain the right way and why....

as for the guy not pm back. his inbvox could be full and thus not able to receive any more messages.

more moderating. hell no. topics been covered to death elsewhere on ahb (almost as much as chill v no chill)

search function is heaps better than other sites. use google, " " marks etc to enhance your search.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love PP posts.

I recon AHB is the best site ive been a member of. cant really fault it.

So it appears "this site" could be it's own worst enemy.

1 - All forums like this are a huge knowledge base!
2 - There is dozens or even hundreds of threads probably containing the info a searcher requires!
3 - There is probably even thousands of threads containing the key words without the answers on the subject the searcher is inquiring about!
4 - Not sure about this forum, but every new thread costs money or reduce the remaining allocated bandwidth, possibly causing the site to stop working before the end of a month! (This is why Admin can get narky about multiple threads on the one subject!)
5 - Admin may not be pruning the excess threads, either from lack of time, not wanting to or unaware of every new post! (I know how time consuming it is to manage so much data on a huge site like this, so don't get offended. I just keep buying new HDDs for my PC instead of organising and deleting stuff.)
6 - Site users are not selecting their KEY search words well enough, therefor, many more results are displayed.

It could be possible to to shift this whole forum to another folder and have a link to it so searchers can find old info, then start this all the categories again empty and then Admin may be able to prune as it goes.

If that's not going to happen, then perhaps the search feature could be altered to display the results of threads that only contain all search words if not already the case.

After all that, it's probably a waste of time complaining because it is the way it is and to fix it is not easy or even possible. Just live with it and use the site to help yourself or others, because that's what forums are intended for!

I think the economic news recently is really eating at everyone's sense of humour and sense of perspective. :(

Sometimes you have to work at being optimistic and threads like this really don't help. I'm going to start another, called "What I like most about AHB", and then, cause I'm working from home today, I'm going to go and brew a Northern English Brown Ale with a bit of Maris Otter, some crystal and a couple of additions of EKG. :)

cheers(up)

grant

Maybe the mods could do a little more moderating??

BYB

The mods do a little moderating as possible because when we moderate more, the whingers come out of the woodwork. "Oh you deleted my post, it was just a LOL" or "that bloke deserved the abuse" etc.

We're all adults here, you don't need people stifling conversations too much. Most of my modding activity is moving threads to the right forum. If I see another "What's a good lager kit?" thread in Gear and Equipment, expect a PM! :D

Bah, less moderation is good. I'm on a few other forums where it's a surprise to find a thread without at least one deleted post. This place is like a breath of fresh air and bastion of free speech in comparison.

ive searched using the same keywords on different occasions and got different results , so what if a questions already been answered does it hurt to answer again for the sake of helping out a new brewer ??

lets get this forum back on track and let the bitchy threads lapse and go back to being a helpful community of brewers willing to assist others in their quest to make quality beers for themselves and others ..

I'm with you Barra, it shits me when people say " Do a search " and that same person will ask a question that has been asked before.

I would think that every question beer related has been asked, therefore there is no need for anyone to post any more, just use the search function

Rook

How a thread like this can start is beyond me. I have found nothing but good information on here, and met many awesome lads through AHB (even if they may be crazy enough to think of having warm beer through a beer engine on a hot day ;). All jokes, it was amazing!!) . Yes, you can get the annoying member who doesn't reply to something etc, but let it go as you will always come across people like 'them', or if worst comes to worst, PM a moderator about it and try and resolve it through them

All in all, AHB is amazing. It will be the reason I will fail many subjects this session at uni, and to tell you the truth... its all worth it

Sponge :icon_cheers:

The mods do a little moderating as possible because when we moderate more, the whingers come out of the woodwork. "Oh you deleted my post, it was just a LOL" or "that bloke deserved the abuse" etc.

We're all adults here, you don't need people stifling conversations too much. Most of my modding activity is moving threads to the right forum. If I see another "What's a good lager kit?" thread in Gear and Equipment, expect a PM! :D

Bah, less moderation is good. I'm on a few other forums where it's a surprise to find a thread without at least one deleted post. This place is like a breath of fresh air and bastion of free speech in comparison.

And THAT is the most sensible post on the thread! :beer:

staggalee.

The most annoying thing on most forums is the old-timers judging people, posts and threads...

The classics are coming through in a few threads on AHB with comments like "what is this forum coming to", "I just read through 2 pages of this" etc...

Don't like it, don't read it...or more appropriate to this forum RSDAHAHB (my take on RDWHAHB)

The fact that others are posting suggests that somebody is interested.

Rook makes a valid point. I'd take it further and suggest that very little home brew topics have not been discussed, shown or asked somewhere on this forum, so if we are all banned from these then AHB is just a social networking place

Back