Whats a hop you could live with forever?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saaz for me. Although living without my dark beers in winter would be hard. If I was able to have 2 then would add EKG.

Just bought 1kg of each EKG, Styrian Goldings, Czech Saaz, Challenger and Northern Brewer whilst not forever should last for awhile.

If I had to stick with just 1 I think Amarillo - even though I'm a pom!

I think top 3 in this order

Amarillo
EKG
Saaz

It would have to be Czech Saaz for me. As much as I love APAs and ESBs and whatnot, the climate here is warm for about 9 months of the year and those Boh Pils go down a bloody treat.

Challenger - works in just about any English Style from Mild to IPA and beyond. Used in large quantities late / dry hop it makes a really good APA/AIPA and makes a change from the standard tropical fruit salad, grapefruit, cat piss offerings.

Not sure how it would go in a lager, although it's beautiful in a summer ale (the proper original ones like Summer Lightning that are loaded with hops), which do a similar thirst quenching job during hot summer weather

Not seeing much love for Sorachi ace.

aurora. just because of the flavour is close to sytrians and has a decent alpha.

East Kent Goldings, the quiet achiever, getting the job done. Like an English rose, subtle and not crass or over-stated.

Hallertau Mittelfrueh

If disease broke out and wiped the crop then Saaz all the way.

Latest posts

Back