What's A Good Discworld Book To Start On?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Haven't read a book for years - I used to be an avid reader - I've never read any Discworld books and wonder what a good one is to start on?

I bet there's a heap of closet Disc fans on the forum. :rolleyes:

I realise there's no benefit in reading them in published order as there are a lot of quite separate grand story arcs. Rather like the idea of the City Watch arc.

It doesn't really matter. They are rarely connected by important plot points. But it might be better to start early on as his books do have a number of running jokes and you'll get more from them if you've read them from near the beginning. But, essentially, it doesn't matter because his books are all about his humor and tone - plot is entirely secondary. I stopped reading him in the early 2000's when he started doing movie parodies.

For what it is worth, I think the book he did with Neil Gaiman (Good Omens) is his best work.

You're best off starting at the first one. While there are no continuing plot lines, the Discworld does evolve over time in each book. Earlier books were funnier. Later books seem like he's run out of ideas, although he has Alzheimer's so that will be a factor.

I re-read Small Gods recently. It's one of my favourites. The central concept of an angry and vengeful god trapped in the body of a turtle is pretty funny. Mort and the Colour of Magic are also pretty good.

cheers

grant

Thanks, yes I'll start fairly near the beginning. I really liked Harry Harrison (Stainless Steel Rat etc) and I guess he was similar - in the books his science was appalling (and he knew it and that was a running joke as well) :rolleyes: but he's a cracking read.

Off to grab a porkuswinewich for brekky right now :)

You may want to give Robert Rankin a crack then?

Ah so many books so little time (sober time :drinks: )

The local libraries aren't well stocked with Terry Pratchett and nearly all out on loan, so a big following obviously. I'll buy a couple for starters. The decision: should I buy from Book Depository free postage, averaging about $A 11 or should I use Angus and Robertson online at $19 plus postage.
Decisions decisions.......................

You may want to give Robert Rankin a crack then?

Yep, he's pretty manic.

Edit: Oh yeah start early in the Discworld series, original, funnier & less ripped off jokes.

I think the best place to start is whatever ratty old dog-eared copy you pick up from a second-hand bookstore.

The first one I read was Guards! Guards! Not the first in the series but the first City Watch story. IMO the City Watch stories are the best but they are all good.
Like Bum said the books are mostly not in sequence so whatever you can get your hands on.

Enjoy, his humour reminds me of Douglas Adams. A shame he won't be writing much anymore, if at all.

There are a number of discussions around about this.
This site has some suggestions.

I really enjoy Terry Pratchett.

Robert Rankin too.
The book with Neil Gaiman is another good one.

Second votes for either of Small Gods or Good Omens (with Gaiman) - and in general start with the earlier books. Later books are still fun, but certainly not at the level of originality as the older stuff.

love the watch, love the witches. love the feegles.

Start with any book you can find, its a fair bet you'll end up reading them all

oh, and any book that features death

I thought the 'colour of magic' was a good start as it introduced a lot of the concepts that carried though the series.

Death is good but I liked his daughter a bit as well.

BTW I recently came into the Discworld series of movies,yet to watch them .Not sure if I wish to spoil the magic.

MB

Bribie if youre after a good read try George R.R. Martins "A game of thrones" series i think the first one is called a clash of kings.
There crack on paper.

On a related but unhelpful memory lane trip I really got into Terry Pratchet, and Robert Rankin for that matter, when living in the UK.
Here in the library they are nearly always out but where I lived near Southfields and Wandsworth, the single teenage mother capital of London (or at least it seemed that way), they seemed to have a lot of money to buy books but no-one in the district appears to be able to read.
They had virtually everything Terry Pratchet wrote, whole series of fantasy and science fiction, thrillers, crime etc.
In many cases I was the first person to borrow some of these books.
It was like having my own personal book store that was free...

The Last Continent if you want to ease into things - little character development, but full-on Australian parody, so I have a feeling you will particularly like this one.

The Last Continent if you want to ease into things - little character development, but full-on Australian parody, so I have a feeling you will particularly like this one.

I'd say Last Continent as well. It was my first and I really enjoyed it.

Back