What Type Of Thermometer For Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one I use is was from one of those speciality kitchen stores - SWMBO got it for me and IIRC it was $10. It's supposed to just have the end dipped in and it clips on the side of the vessel which suits measuring strike liquor.

If you're having troubles look for catering supply shops that deal in the restaurant trade (chef's tradie gear is awesome) they'll always have a hot liquid thermometer or eight.

I'd ensure you check the accuracy against a proper thermometer as mine where out by 2-5c at mash temps. Fine under 30 but they got wildy inaccurate and higher.

I agree.

I've had three of those, and found they were all different.

They were also only $4 when i got them too.

Inflation...

I think I paid 2.99 posted for one of those.

Good for cooking roast B)

QldKev

I have a digital 'weather station' thermometer thingy that must be 10 years old or more. It has an LCD screen that shows two temps, one at the unit itself, the other showing the temp for a plastic probe at the end of a 2 metre cable. I have it sitting next to my fermenter to tell me the ambient temp in my under-stairs cupboard, and the probe taped to the fermenter to give me an idea of the wort.

Interestingly my STC-1000 arrived today, and after wiring it up, I stuck the temp probe alongside my other one on the side of the fermenter. 5 minutes later both of them were reading 20.4 degrees. I was expecting a fair difference given the margin of error you'd think these things have. Maybe they're more accurate than we give them credit for?

I have a digital 'weather station' thermometer thingy that must be 10 years old or more. It has an LCD screen that shows two temps, one at the unit itself, the other showing the temp for a plastic probe at the end of a 2 metre cable. I have it sitting next to my fermenter to tell me the ambient temp in my under-stairs cupboard, and the probe taped to the fermenter to give me an idea of the wort.

Interestingly my STC-1000 arrived today, and after wiring it up, I stuck the temp probe alongside my other one on the side of the fermenter. 5 minutes later both of them were reading 20.4 degrees. I was expecting a fair difference given the margin of error you'd think these things have. Maybe they're more accurate than we give them credit for?

I've got 4 stc-1000's none of them agree with each other, or with my calibration thermometer. You must have been lucky.

I do find once I have calibrated them at 66c they do tend to stay pretty accurate.

QldKev

I'm sick of the delays in waiting for the cheap digital thermometers to reach their reading... it means I overshoot strike temps, or my hydro readings are slightly out. [EDIT: or if checking a mash temp throughout the mash, that my lid is off the BIAB pot too long].

I have just ordered one of these HANNA DIGITAL THERMOMETER upon a forum member's recommendation. Sure, it's a fair bit more money, but I'm chasing accuracy, and speed... will report back with findings.

I'm sick of the delays in waiting for the cheap digital thermometers to reach their reading... it means I overshoot strike temps, or my hydro readings are slightly out. [EDIT: or if checking a mash temp throughout the mash, that my lid is off the BIAB pot too long].

I have just ordered one of these HANNA DIGITAL THERMOMETER upon a forum member's recommendation. Sure, it's a fair bit more money, but I'm chasing accuracy, and speed... will report back with findings.

Why not use a stc-1000 for checking temps, they are happy with nothing plugged in the output leads. Throw the probe in the mash and sit back and relax, and read the temp from a good distance.

QldKev

Is it just me or does your STC-1000 takes ages to reach a stable temp? a lot longer than my default mash thermometer anyway.

Why not use a stc-1000 for checking temps, they are happy with nothing plugged in the output leads. Throw the probe in the mash and sit back and relax, and read the temp from a good distance.

QldKev
STC is a similar price, more bulky and requires mains power.

Spiesy said:

hi, how did you find this if you got one?

can you submerge the whole probe / plastic end and cable ?

Thanks

Got a milk thermometer which clips to my pot for a rough guide heating strike water, use a chef's meat thermometer digi for accurate temps, both $14, both worth what I paid. Both agree. Hospitality supplies or even house have em. No complaints here.

pickaxe

Pickaxe said:
Got a milk thermometer which clips to my pot for a rough guide heating strike water, use a chef's meat thermometer digi for accurate temps, both $14, both worth what I paid. Both agree. Hospitality supplies or even house have em. No complaints here.

pickaxe
Where did you buy them Pickaxe? I checked out a couple of shops at Sunshine Plaza, and neither had what I was after.

Noosaville, Rene street there is a hospitality supplier, bout 24 or so. Diagonally opposite 17 where my missus has her shop. House or the knife ship in Noosa civic had em. Gotta be someone round maroochy doing em though. Google kitchen supplies or hospitality supplier, industrial areas.

pickaxe

Acasta said:
Just wondering why type of thermometer i should get for brewing, also some good places to get some reasonable priced ones.
Might be out of your budget but could be worth you having a look at this post:

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/67524-ebay-v5/?view=findpost&p=1085779
As they're well calibrated you can use them to measure & quickly record the differences of any other thermometers you might have for future use.

I have a thermapen.I always use it for brewing and I think so my thermapen was one of the best investments i have made in awhile.

Latest posts

Back