What Type Of Thermometer For Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Just wondering why type of thermometer i should get for brewing, also some good places to get some reasonable priced ones.

There isn't really one type that is best for brewing. Tell us what method(s) you use and what your equipment is. This will help people to throw some idea your way.

Sure, im planning on following the type of thing in NickJD's BIAB thread.
So im using a 20L pot on the stove.

Pretty sure he uses and recommends a candy thermometer. Should be able to get one pretty easily at any kitcheny type shop. Can't imagine them being very expensive.

you'd be supprised at how hard they are to get bum!
my missus got a little excited and decided to use mine in hot oil which ended in the thermometer breaking (it was bloody hot oil! NFI what she was doing!) so I've been trying to get a replacement (actually two one for her and one for my brewing). I figured kmart of bigW would have them if not the supermarket - nope. 3 kitchenware stores all the same response "we're waiting on new stock to come in - we've sold out" I dunno if its the masterchef fever or what (not a fan of the aussie series sorry) but every farker seems to be buying random kitchen utensils lately!

Any way I have one of these for mashing
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7469

I use(d) my candi thermometer for making candi / invert sugar

Hospitality supply shops would be where I'd look for candi thermometer.

However, except for making invert sugar a candy thermometer goes higher than you may need. Good homebrew shops should sell glass stick thermometers that go to around 110 C. Should be around $12-15

As Bum says though - knowing a bit more about what you'd like to do with it would be nifty.

Digital thermo's are cheap as on ebay and arrive from hong kong in about 10 days. The same ones I see in shops here but prob 70% less the cost. Mine is still going strong.

I was tempted to use one of the milk frothing thermometers, they seem to fit the bill. But I ended up getting a glass thermometer from the LHBS (Country Brewer) it's good from -10C to 110C

I used to use a candi thermometer, but with my larger pot I couldn't use it any more, then used my digital temp gun. Downside of the temp guns are they measure anything in the path of the laser; so steam included. In the end I bought a mashing thermometer and put a hole in the side of my pot for it and couldn't be happier with the results.

Ah ok, thanks guys! Ill shop around. I was just at spotlight today getting some Swiss Voile (on special for $2 per m) and i forgot to look for thermometers!

I use a digital stick thermometer which I got from craftbrewer. I've been stirring as I heat to mashout, with one hand holding the thermometer. While doing this I've been wondering what a floating thermometer is like to use. Can anyone post their experiences with these?

My digital floats. Just drill a small hold in a jar lid and insert the thermo thru that. It will float in the mash just fine and be protected then.

Does a Candy thermo float?

Get yourself 1 good glass laboratory thermometer that you can trust, use it as a reference.

If you aren't familiar with the difference read up on Accuracy and Precision, be aware that thermometers come in Total and Partial immersion and they must be used correctly or you will get the wrong answer from the right instrument.

MHB

I can't seem to get two digital thermometers to read the same temperature - varying by about 1.5 degrees but changing depending on whether it's warmer or cooler. I've read about calibrating thermometers using boiling water and ice but frankly it's the temperatures in-between that worry me, particularly when you're shooting for certain mash temps. I'd settle for one accurate one - then i can properly calibrate any others i have. But how do i know it's accurate?

Latest posts

Back