What Type Of Pump For Wort Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpy

Reaction score
hey guys!!

gonna start to chill my wort with the pool water.
the plan is to build an immersion chiller and pump the water through the chiller and back into the pool.
my question is what type of pump should i buy and how much will it set me back??

Found this on the grain and grape site Pump, water, 3000 litres per hour, 50 degrees C

cheers

hey guys!!

gonna start to chill my wort with the pool water.
the plan is to build an immersion chiller and pump the water through the chiller and back into the pool.
my question is what type of pump should i buy and how much will it set me back??

Found this on the grain and grape site Pump, water, 3000 litres per hour, 50 degrees C

cheers

Pity there is no picture on the G& G site really about time they fixed their site it really is poor ,I like a picture of whatever I am going to buy , you can buy cheap pumps from Bunnings for $80 these days

i bought my pump from bunnings - i think i spent $200 (with fittings and hose etc) however its used each day to water the garden) - its a big pump. It maintains a pressure so when i turn the hose on away i go. great in the garden from a rain water tank.

I use this setup also for the chiller - just run the return to the tank

I wish i did this from day one it makes sense and works well

Pumpy thats the reason that all my online brewing related shopping goes to other sponsors and active AHB members.

I would look around you dont need a massive flow rate and you'll find some very cheap pumps around if you look.
That pump on the G & G site might be suitable. But is it wired with a plug? what type of pump is it? can it handle having a restriction put on it to reduce flow or is it purely on or off? whats it made of? plastic? metal? is it weather proof or does it need to be setup portable? what type of head can it push? lift / suction?

These are basic specs one would expect from a website regarding a pump which they are selling.

G & G is a fantastic store - but their online leaves a lot to be desired.

When i started looking into this , i was concerned that the pump would be have to be able temps >100 degree's...the initial temps of the water as temp conversion from hot wort happened...
Well i was in a large German chain store that is resonably new to Melbournes shopping scene and they had garden pumps that were only rated to 55 degree...but they were only $40...so i bought one...
It has not missed a beat thus far.....fingers crossed...
I think it cost me about another $30 for fittings and hoses ...
I use a 90 liter big bin which is filled with water . I then add a old wort kit cube that i fill with water and freeze...and a bag or 2 of ice...
I can get down to 20 degree , dependant on ambiant temps etc , in about 35-45 min thru my plate chiller...
Seems to be doing the trick....
There is a photo in my album...
Cheers
Ferg
link

i was concerned that the pump would be have to be able temps >100 degree's...the initial temps of the water as temp conversion from hot wort happened...

If you're pumping hot water into your immersion chiller, then you're doing it wrong.

Remember, the pump is pushing cold water into the immersion chiller, not pulling hot water out of it.

Your immersion chiller recirculation pump should never see hot water.

I have seen small pond pumps used $40 to 80 doller ones

Latest posts

Back