What to do with spare kit yeasts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hostage_85

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what you all do with the Kit yeasts left over?

I've been brewing off and on for a few years, but lately fully gotten into it. Buying US-05 etc...
I mainly use Coopers Cans, and i've now got about 6 or 7 coopers packets of yeast just spare.

What do you guys do with them? Do you use them in other Brews?

Can be used for making pizza bases, just takes a little more proofing time than bakers yeast. Otherwise, if you're contemplating moving to AG in the future, they can be chucked in at the end of the boil as nutrient.

I havent got to doing AG yet... Althought its on the cards to get started soon.

But Pizza bases sound good haha :D

Cheers

Handy to have spares in the case of stuck ferments and if doiing a high ABV toucan brew where a second yeast may be needed.

If you are going to use beer yeast for pizza, make sure you go for thin bases and give yourself a lot more time. The Cooper's yeast is very slow for pizza dough and won't give you a very fluffy pizza. It works well enough for thin bases on a very hot (300C) stone if there's nothing else in the house, but normal bakers yeast is a better option.

I have been wondering about the same thing, I probably have 20 or so kicking around which some of them are probably too old to be any good. As for nutrient, any way to use these in ciders I wonder.

decr said:
probably too old to be any good
Don't bet on it I had four that were 5-6 years past expiry, made a lil starter from each and they took off within a few hours. Think I used them for little experiments and so on.

pcmfisher said:
Make some lactation cookies..................
My wife did this with "brewers yeast" from a healthfood store. All I can say is that if anyone handed me a beer that had been fermented with something that tasted like that, I'd glass them in the face.

I'm tempted to buy something half decent from the LHBS and make a starter with it for her to bake with.

I just moved house and threw away about 12 coopers yeasts from the freezer.

pcqypcqy said:
My wife did this with "brewers yeast" from a healthfood store. All I can say is that if anyone handed me a beer that had been fermented with something that tasted like that, I'd glass them in the face.

I'm tempted to buy something half decent from the LHBS and make a starter with it for her to bake with.
I think eye of newt would make more difference than a starter.

i throw the useless crap in the bin.
been using yeast from anything available from the bottle shop that has the pile of dormant yeast at the bottom.
my faves are:

stone and wood big scrub
feral
nail
sierra nevada
hitachino nest
hacker pschorr
franziskaner
schoefferhofer
dundee ipa
coopers

got them all in tiny jars in the fridge with a bit of water, i shake them up and pour a tiny dollop in the fermenter

Actually, they are much better than bakers' yeast for your ginger beer plant.

They can also be used (2 or more per 10l) for a "reverse-steam" stout or porter. Use enough to get it started and brew about 15C - I have done this with a leftovers brew that turned out quite well. I think the low fermentation temperature offset the effects of the stale grains - or maybe I just got lucky!

And, yes - restarting a stuck brew, but be sure to make a starter.

Almost forgot - make excellent sour dough starters. You make up a starter with flour, sugar and beer yeast, then feed it until the yeast peters out. Then feed a bit more with exposure to air for the wild yeast infection, the pH and alcohol from the yeast discourages bad bacteria and yeast. You can also use it to boost your starter if you are running behind.

Latest posts

Back