What Temperature To Condition My Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floody_lager

Reaction score
Ive just bottled my first brew yesterday using dextrose to prime. I read somewhere that its best to store at about 20-25 deg. Ive put them in the fridge and set the fridgemate to 22. Is this a good temp?

Hey Floody im new to this as well, what i have learned so far is you want to carbonate your bottles above 20 for a couple of weeks, then you can try one to see if it carbonated right, from there its best to store at a cool temp in a dark place. depends on what type of beer you have to exactly how long and how cold. im putting mine in the fridge(because i have a spare one) at 2 degrees for 8 weeks (i did a lager). the theory is that if stored at higher temps they dont last as long. i hope im right about this, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

I have never done temp control for bottle conditioning, and haven't tasted off flavours in the beer.

Mine just sit in the shed, boxed, in a corner or cupboard until there is room in the fridge. No problems here.

Yup store them for a couple of weeks at around 20* then put them in a dark cool place, mine go under the house where the temp is more stable but cool.

Just store them were you have space away from direct sunlight

if you can find a area that takes timeto change temp so its relatively stable (put it there)

if you have space to keep all your brews under temp control then its the way to do it (20C for a week, check carb and then keep them at 10C or under until you move them to the fridge to drink them

Mine are in the cupboard in the shed until i want them

catchya
kleiny

mmmm..... interesting topic for me. I have just had troubles with brew No 2. Did an ale (bitter) fermented at 18-20 in an esky with ice every day then bottled and put the bottles back in the esky at 18-20. It turned out flat! I gave up and put them in the cupboard at approx 25-30 deg (tropical qld) to try and kick start the process and they gassed up fine?

The first brew I did was a gold and the bottles went straight in the cupboard for 2 weeks. It came up awesome. :icon_drunk:
So now the question, what to do with the next lot of bottles? Am I wasting my time conditioning them at 20 deg. Maybe just bung em straight in the cupboard and then I can put down the next brew asap :icon_drool2:

Cheers

Ian

So now the question, what to do with the next lot of bottles? Am I wasting my time conditioning them at 20 deg. Maybe just bung em straight in the cupboard and then I can put down the next brew asap :icon_drool2:

Cheers

Ian
That's what I'd do, just as long as the bottles don't get too hot. Leave them for a couple of weeks, put one in the fridge to chill and see how it's going

Yep, that's about it, get another brew going and get your stocks up before you run out.

Mine live under my bed; dark and out of the way. I figure as long as you don't live in a tent/humpy/box you should be fine in regards to temperature.

Boingk you wouldn't want any bottle bombs under the sheets

23 will be perfectly fine. In a perfect world, we would all like to condition at cellar temp...but we don't live in a perfect world. under 25 is nothing to worry about imho.

i have found that i like to get the gas going in the bottles so i usually like to keep them warm for a couple of weeks, around 20/25 then as butters said it would be nice to cellar them and let them condition, once they have gassed up enough then keep them somewhere nice and coolish with a steady temp.
fergi

ok so its been nearly a week at 23. should i leave them in the fridge at that temp or drop it?

ok so its been nearly a week at 23. should i leave them in the fridge at that temp or drop it?

Oh, ok....they're in a temp controlled environment......if it's been a week, imo, it's probably still a bit early to drop the temp. If you need the brewfridge back, and you have someplace else that you can put them that may not be as stable, but is still reletively cool-ish, then move them there, it won't be a problem. Tertiary is probably 90% done anyway, so it'll be fine. Just avoid ridiculous temperature shifts.

My bottles have always sat in a corner of the pantry where it is cool on the tiles.
I have enough room for about 8 crates, but as long as the pantry doesnt get above
25 i happy.
my 2c.

My bottles have always sat in a corner of the pantry where it is cool on the tiles.
I have enough room for about 8 crates, but as long as the pantry doesnt get above
25 i happy.
my 2c.

perfic. :D
wish I had a pop larkin piccy for this, but i don't

im not planning on starting another brew until after the new year so they can stay in there.
i know they wont be ideal but ive read that i can drink them after two weeks. so in another week, do i put them in the normal fridge to chill and then drink?

chill one then to start, to check the carbonation....if it's good, by all means, chill the others. If it needs more time, then you don't have to go through the hassle of bringing the temp back up.

Latest posts

Back