What Stops You Getting Drunk....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For every beer drink a glass of water... it might work but WTF as if you would actually do this... just drink the same amount slowly, much better idea.

glass of milk to line the stomach....complete crap...., just colours the vomit.

Don't mix you drinks... I am sure it feels better but the breathalyzer won't care.....

I have found the thing that seems to stop me getting drunk is the sight of Haley's comet. I dread the appearance of that bloody thing, shoot the ******* down I say!

Fortunately it only comes around once every 75 years-ish... :p

The weekend has landed. All that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties. I've got 48 hours off from the world, man. I'm gonna blow steam out my head like a screaming kettle, I'm gonna talk cod shit to strangers all night, I'm gonna lose the plot on the dancefloor. The free radicals inside me are freakin', man! Tonight I'm Jip Travolta, I'm Peter Popper, I'm going to never-never land with my chosen family, man. We're gonna get more spaced out than Neil Armstrong ever did, anything could happen tonight, you know? This could be the best night of my life. I've got 73 quid in my back burner - I'm gonna wax the lot, man! The Milky Bars are on me! Yeah!
... then stumble home and knock back as many glasses of water as you can reasonably take. I've made it to 2 litres before, and glad I did too. Pull up just fine in the mornin' every time. Speaking of which... :icon_drunk:

Umm yes i actually do try to drink as much water as beer, particularly on a hot day...... It's not about preventing drunkeness as much as staying hydrated.

I just remembered a bloke telling me that if you drink spirits, put it in the freezer and freeze it, cause it will reduce the Alc%... :rolleyes:

And his mates believed him... :lol:

... then stumble home and knock back as many glasses of water as you can reasonably take. I've made it to 2 litres before, and glad I did too. Pull up just fine in the mornin' every time./quote]

+1 for that. There's no way I'm gonna remember or even want to drink water while out on the piss, but when the dust has settled and that dry feeling starts to creep up the back of your throat, force that water down and you'll thank yourself a hundred times over the next day. Of course, we're talking hangover cures here not remedies for remaining alcohol unaffected.

I kinda half believe the milk lining the stomach theory and might grab a Big M (or whatever they're called now) on the way out, but certainly wouldn't make myself sit down at the table and down a litre of the stuff.

Also drinking beer (if that's what we're drinking) that actually tastes better if you sit on it (figuratively) for awhile rather than the stuff that needs to be downed quickly while it still tastes of nothing in particular might help to slow things down a little. Afterall, as long as we have something in our sweaty little palms we're happy :D

Self-discipline does wonders, it's cheaper, you're less likely to do something stupid and you'll feel a lot better.

If it does get out of hand... less water and more juice before bed.

I first drink to excess until I'm almost legless, pass out and wake up sick as a dog. I then jump into my time machine, travel back to before I started that particular drinking session and low and behold I find I don't feel liking drinking. ;)

No matter what you do before or during your drinking session, if you consume alcohol, it will eventually work its way into your system. There is no way to magically make it disappear or lessen its impact. Although you can slow its rate of absorption by, for example, consuming with food etc, you'll eventually process it all.

Now, if you are larger or heavier person, your body will take some more alcohol than if you are a skinny type of guy who gets sand kicked into his face on the beach, or if you are a woman. Equally, your body does develop a tolerance for alcohol if you are a regular consumer.

Drinking water after a session will help to reduce dehydration, and to avoid or lessen a hangover. Alcohol will dehydrate your body, and a hangover is much more likely if you are dehydrated.

Now, if you are larger or heavier person, your body will take some more alcohol than if you are a skinny type of guy who gets sand kicked into his face on the beach, or if you are a woman. Equally, your body does develop a tolerance for alcohol if you are a regular consumer.
Be aware that blood volume/body size allows you to consume more alcohol before you get to the legal driving limit.

However, lack of intoxication due to tolerance, does not help beat the breathalyser. Just because you don't feel "schmammered" (as one of my friends puts it), doesn't mean that you're not "legally intoxicated".

As for what stops me getting drunk, I'd say it's usually crap commercial beer or inflated prices or both, when I'm out . At home, it's usually the "R" word - restraint.
Living a $100+ cab fare from home really helps with the management of intoxication too. I need my driver's licence to get the approx ~40 km to work each day.

Depends on what you call 'drunk'.

For me, it's beer. A little happy, a bit slower, but still rather normal after half a dozen longies.

For many years I did a LOT of corporate hospitality. Clients are amazing drinkers when someone else is footing the tab. If you show restraint, they badger you to "lezzavvanuvverwun!" regardless if it's Johnny Red or XO cognac or [shudder] Moutai (Chinese rice alcohol / rocket fuel). The first half of a 40+% bottle didn't hit the sides, but that next quarter was the difference between walking out in a straight line or calling a chum for assistance. Case hardened liver was the result. Oh, that and turning into an intolerant belligerent asshole.

I heard of a case in UK where a bloke got 'proper Northern drunk' as they call it. Seems he was so drunk, he passed out with his leg under him, ceasing circulation for a number of hours. The result was that the leg was required to be amputated. That's going a touch too far.

Drinking and vehicles don't go together for me.

When I used to ride I had a strict no alcohol policy. It's hard enough to dodge the drunk cars on the way home when you're sober. It was worse on the autobahns when I was living in Germany. Weekend traffic was unpredictable and made worse by infrequent drivers who had been on the turps.

I had a prang in my teenage years (severe storm, near zero visibility, Mini panelvan, a bottle of white wine, aquaplaned up Spit Hill into a light post sideways (thank God it wasn't in SA else it would have been a stobie and I would be ****ed), no injuries) which taught me that cars and booze don't mix. The attending officer breathalysed me and I came up as 0.05. I was a P-Plater who should have been 0.02 (I think). I didn't have my license on me, but quoted the number. I got a neg driving fine and a phone call a few days later from the Desk Sergeant who kicked my ass over the phone but told me he couldn't nick me.

A dear friend hails from Harbin province, China. It's basically a frozen sh*thole most of the time. In winter, 20 below is not a bad day. It gets much colder than that at worst. Being near the Russian border, there is a big tradition of drinking big. She tells me that every year, people go drinking and then die walking home - many of them - so much that it's commonplace and people just nod about it as if nothing had happened. They fall asleep / pass out in the snow and ice and the rest is history.

I guess if you're going to tie one on, do it at home or a safe place and make sure that you have a good grip on your temper and emotions before you start.

Cheers - Fermented.

There are days I almost miss my tolerance I had while in bar work....

The one where I started a shift with 2 schooners, had one on my break, then more after.....

Although, thanks to the cost of the K+Ks I used to make, I think I may have it back, 14+ stubbies one night, and I felt fine.....

the main thing that stops me getting drunk has huge breasts, cooks reasonably well and also folds my undies.

no it's not my mum you sickos :p

As for my "what stops you getting drunk" remedy ??

Two large containers of KFC potato and gravy. Down these before drinking and all will be good in the world. Oh yes it will. :D

Warren -

Read that and gagged..... litterally almost brought up the 3 pints of Guinness i just enjoyed at the pub.

the main thing that stops me getting drunk has huge breasts, cooks reasonably well and also folds my undies.

no it's not my mum you sickos :p
So that would be the maid then? :D :p

Cheers - Fermented.

what stops me from getting drunk?

nothing

but never before 5 pm
icon_cheers.gif

well ok. if someone stops by before then I will have a few
icon_chickcheers.gif

Cheers,
Bud

Be aware that blood volume/body size allows you to consume more alcohol before you get to the legal driving limit.

However, lack of intoxication due to tolerance, does not help beat the breathalyser. Just because you don't feel "schmammered" (as one of my friends puts it), doesn't mean that you're not "legally intoxicated".

Does that mean that I can load myself up with prescription drugs and half a glass of wine and "she'll be right"?

Lets see politicians legislate against that. :icon_chickcheers:

cheers

Darren

Does that mean that I can load myself up with prescription drugs and half a glass of wine and "she'll be right"?

Lets see politicians legislate against that. :icon_chickcheers:

cheers

Darren

Doing something similar right now.

For me it is the SWMBO threat that she will feed my already very busy 19 month old chocolate and cordial for breakfast then go shopping all day alone..

:eek:

DK

Latest posts

Back