What Size Element Do I Need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayandcath

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm putting my AG setup together and have most of my fittings etc, and my 98L Robinox pots have been ordered (1 for a HLT and the other for my kettle).
I going to use gas for the kettle and was thinking a 4 ring gas burner for the HLT, but I got talking to Ross the other day and he said that an electric HLT and gas on the kettle. After some discussion about pro's vs con's, I think that I may be leaning that way.
I tried to search for info on HLT set-ups but had no real luck, so I want to open it to the mases.
Is electric the way to go???
What size element would be advisable for a 98L HLT hopefully making 60L batches (when up and going)???
What sort of time does it take to heat 80L to strike temp???

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and pic's are even better.

Cheers

Hi All,
I'm putting my AG setup together and have most of my fittings etc, and my 98L Robinox pots have been ordered (1 for a HLT and the other for my kettle).
I going to use gas for the kettle and was thinking a 4 ring gas burner for the HLT, but I got talking to Ross the other day and he said that an electric HLT and gas on the kettle. After some discussion about pro's vs con's, I think that I may be leaning that way.
I tried to search for info on HLT set-ups but had no real luck, so I want to open it to the mases.
What size element would be advisable for a 98L HLT hopefully making 60L batches (when up and going)???

Cheers

Lots of ways of doing this do a search, will see if I can find some links for you.

Edit: Here from 2006

Cheers,

Screwy

Lots of ways of doing this do a search, will see if I can find some links for you.

Edit: Here from 2006

Cheers,

Screwy

:) Thanks Screwy, that is what I wanted to see. I had a bit of a sniff on the net about heating elements and thought that the kettle element is bit dodgy, and before everyone blows up, just in terms of there duty cycle (Not really designed to run constantly for an hour or so).

With two 50 litre kegs on the way, I've been sitting on the sidelines doing my ground work. There's some mighty fine ingenuity to be found on this site. Amazing what an incentive a good brew is ;) Like you JnC, I'm likely to stick with gas for the kettle but am leaning toward elec element(s) for the HLT.

Perhaps this is a really obvious question, but, what are the options for a controller, in particular, a thermostat contoller?

Cheers.

With two 50 litre kegs on the way, I've been sitting on the sidelines doing my ground work. There's some mighty fine ingenuity to be found on this site. Amazing what an incentive a good brew is ;) Like you JnC, I'm likely to stick with gas for the kettle but am leaning toward elec element(s) for the HLT.

Perhaps this is a really obvious question, but, what are the options for a controller, in particular, a thermostat contoller?

Cheers.

Again the SEARCH function is your friend

Mashmaster

Click on Craftbrewer - sponsor at the top of the page

Hi All,

Cheers

I use a 2.4kw 250mm screw in type stokes element for heating around 50ltrs in my HLT. If insulated it takes around 75mins to get to 75-80c. For my kettle I use a combination of a 1.8 & 2.4kw element for heating around 55ltr of wort most likely could heat a bigger volume. I had planned on using one element of 3.6 but was lead to believe a relay would need to be installed + I am not sure if I could run a 3.6 on one powerpoint. Either way the two elemnts work great.

BYB

Here's my two cents worth.

I just added a second element to my HTL and tested it tonight as Im doing my third AG tomorrow . 26L of water and it heated it at slightly better than 1 degree a minute . Both are 2400 Watt but I have two circuits on the bench that I use for the htl and mash tun . One runs directly from the GPO and the other runs from a temp controller and a SSR . Once up to desired temp or close I plan to switch off the uncontrollered one .

I've got a large ex-glue ss pot that I have an element in that I am going to try to do the boil in tomorrow so will let you know .

Back