What Should It Taste Like Out Of The Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never worry what the taste is when "doing the Gravities" ( a soon to be Hit Dance) It does give you a taste (excuse the pun) of what the taste "could" be like. Ive had some pretty shit tasting brown-vomit-water out of my fermenter but yet when ive had it in the dark for 2-3 months its righted up, ok there has been occasions when ive played silly buggers and used Dry-Enzyme and it failed, even a year later its undrinkable, But kills plants to a tee.
The biggest change in flavor has been brewing at 10-12c with lager yeasts. Just that simple purchase of a $30 temp control and a "throw away" fridge has made THAT much improvement, Oh and finings work better at 0c. The last brew I bottled was crystal clear (thanks Polyclar+finnings) 2 weeks later and its slowly showing signs of getting carbed, 2 more months and it'll be a ripper.
But saying all that Ive got one in the fridge at the moment that tastes a bit crap!

It tastes a bit more yeastier out the fermenter - generally.

A simple APA can almost work out predictably throughout the fermenting bit (ooh, fruity, turn the fridge down... - ooh, sharp - pyruvic acid, it's just starting...), whereas a more complex grain bill or a very scientific/clean lager can be a little less predictable. I really wasn't expecting what I got from the Korbinier clone I made last year based on the treacle that oozed out of the fermenter..

Remember to taste, don't spit it back in...

Yeah but it wouldn't be fizzy!!!

Hey Fasty,

I have just recently bought these : oztops.com.au. I bought them for fruit juice, but if you pour fermenting beer in them they carb up no time at all (12 hours or less in when in vigorous primary fermentation) That way when you want to test your beer, pop the top amd pour some out, taste the carbonated brew and pop the cap back on. By the time you're ready to test again it will have carbed up nicely nicely!

Good times :icon_cheers:

Back