What is this in my bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt s

Reaction score
]I have these weird dots in a few of my bottles. I think they are the same bottles that had the same problem in my last batch. My last batch got the weird dots and proceeded to overcarb. What do you think it is?
Here is a photo of my current batch that I noticed. Only 5 bottles are like this.
AHB.jpg

Have they been laying down ?. Could be yeast

Does the beer taste Ok ?

Did you use a bottling bucket? May not have dissolved the corn - sugar / dextrose?

I was pretty sure all the dextrose was completely dissolved. I added boiling water to a mix to make sure. Yes, in a bottling bucked.
I think it tastes fine, which is why this is confusing me!

They're weird dots. Problem solved.

If they're overcarbing, I'd be opening each bottle carefully. I usually wrap the bottles in a teatowel (the first few of a batch) and prise the lid off carefully with safety glasses on.

But seriously, if it tastes good and you didn't get sick from it - RDWHAHB!

Occasionally I get bits like that, I'm still not 100% sure why, but I suspect it's krausen from the fermentation that's happened during carbonation.

It seems to settle when I refrigerate them for a few days before drinking. Haven't noticed any adverse flavours, but I'd rather it wasn't there too.

CLEAN YOUR BOTTLES!!!!!

Anything that sticks like that to a particular point in your bottle indicates a nucleation point from/for infection.

Go NUTS cleaning//sanitising & don't cut corners. It'll pay-off in the long term..

Good points! I tend to just wash them with boiling water and then sanitise them just before bottling. Perhaps I should start using a brush.

START using a brush?!?!?!? You mean you haven't used one before now?? Man, that's a lay-down you've got dirty bottles with infections just waiting to happen.

Soak everything in hot Perc., then scrub the shit out of your bottles, then soak 'em again in cold perc. Rinse, then hit them with Starsan or the like.

If you cap them with squares of al-foil after you've given them that regime, they should be good to just fill straight-up when you do your next batch.

NEVER, EVER skimp with the cleaning/sanitation mate. You'll waste good beer otherwise.

During summer, I process all my bottles with a similar regime (any idiot can stick their hands in freezing water during winter!!) & have never had a problem.

It's just getting into the habit of being anally-retentive about cleaning/sanitation. It pays dividends down the track.

Agree with Martin - having something stuck to the side of your bottle and sterilizing still means that under that 'object' is NOT sterilized. It falls off or dissolves then infection can occur.

Aha! But have you had infections???

Going absolutely ANAL about cleaning & sanitation will save a lot of heartache.

Like I said, I do a massive clean/sanitation during summer & have never had a problem all year-round. I have about 600 bottles, 20x 18-20L kegs, 5x 45L kegs & a few other sundries. If it works for me on that scale, it'll work for you.

MartinOC said:

Like I said, I do a massive clean/sanitation during summer & have never had a problem all year-round. I have about 600 bottles, 20x 18-20L kegs, 5x 45L kegs & a few other sundries. If it works for me on that scale, it'll work for you.
bloody hell. ..
What % of all those vessels is full at any given time? ?

Seems like the bottles were dirty before you filled them I reckon.

Usually I fill up the birko urn and sanatise the bottles with boiling hot water (wearing gloves) - then store upside down in crates/empty cartons. But thats only if they have been sitting for a while, or I'm unsure if they have all been rinsed.

I don't believe you have to be super anal - starsan is a pretty good product.. but if I saw caked stuff on my bots, I'd turf them.

The key to good sanitisation for me - Rinse bottles out with hot tap water as soon as practical once you have finished with them. Store upside down and hit them with starsan before bottling, tip out the residual, sanitise my caps, fill, cap and enjoy.

I use oxyper on fermenters, or a mix of star san measured out right.. find oxyper really good to avoid scrubbing ferms (which can lead to infections). I left one ferm for like a month and hosed it out, filled it with boiling water and a few shots of oxyper and it does all the job for you if left for 24 hrs.. Wouldnt be using on bottles but as it is a soapy residue similar to washing powder.

MartinOC said:

wtf u have that many kegs ?? are they all full or empty

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Seems like the bottles were dirty before you filled them I reckon.

Usually I fill up the birko urn and sanatise the bottles with boiling hot water (wearing gloves) - then store upside down in crates/empty cartons. But thats only if they have been sitting for a while, or I'm unsure if they have all been rinsed.

I don't believe you have to be super anal - starsan is a pretty good product.. but if I saw caked stuff on my bots, I'd turf them.

The key to good sanitisation for me - Rinse bottles out with hot tap water as soon as practical once you have finished with them. Store upside down and hit them with starsan before bottling, tip out the residual, sanitise my caps, fill, cap and enjoy.

I use oxyper on fermenters, or a mix of star san measured out right.. find oxyper really good to avoid scrubbing ferms (which can lead to infections). I left one ferm for like a month and hosed it out, filled it with boiling water and a few shots of oxyper and it does all the job for you if left for 24 hrs.. Wouldnt be using on bottles but as it is a soapy residue similar to washing powder.
Let's get a few things straight.

Starsan is NOT a cleaner. It is a sterilant. Sterile is different to sanitary.

To be sanitary means to be clean... As in not dirty.. Sterile means to be free from bacteria. So a sanitiser is different to a sterilant.

Sodium percarbonate is a Wonderful cleaner.

Starsan is a good sterilant.

You can't be sterile if you aren't sanitary.

Both will help prevent infection in their own way.

You may not see a bit of organic matter stuck to the side of a bottle.

I'd rather spend 5 minutes being "anal" about cleaning and sterilising than spend 5 hours re-brewing a recipe I had to dump.

Over time bottles (and kegs) build up a coating of hop resins, as mentioned by a couple of other people you need a surfactant to remove them.
I like Sodium Percarbonate, but lots of other things also work well.
I have seen bottles with such a thick build-up that it started pealing off in sheets and floating around in the beer, which was very unsightly
Also very bad for head on the beer and can encourage infections - so a big yes to cleaning and sterilising.
Mark

Dunkelbrau said:
Starsan is NOT a cleaner. It is a sterilant. Sterile is different to sanitary.

To be sanitary means to be clean... As in not dirty.. Sterile means to be free from bacteria. So a sanitiser is different to a sterilant.

Sodium percarbonate is a Wonderful cleaner.

Starsan is a good sterilant.

You can't be sterile if you aren't sanitary.

Both will help prevent infection in their own way.

You may not see a bit of organic matter stuck to the side of a bottle.

I'd rather spend 5 minutes being "anal" about cleaning and sterilising than spend 5 hours re-brewing a recipe I had to dump.
Hi Dunkelbrau

Much of what you posted is spot-on, but I'd like to correct a few things if I may. Sodium percarbonate and Starsan are both sanitisers (i.e. they are both good at cleaning and disinfecting). Neither can be used for sterilising; neither can kill all types of bacteria and certainly not bacterial spores (and I suspect neither will render all viruses inactive); certainly they will not denature prions.

It is a rather confusing field, and even Central Sterilising departments in major hospitals don't attempt to sterilise everything that is used in operating theatres, but will use "best effort" to "thoroughly disinfect" some items (endoscopes etc etc). This level of disinfection is orders of magnitude greater than any of us will ever achieve. All we can hope for is "as good as the chemicals we can access and our techniques will allow".

One of the easiest reads on this topic is:
CLEANING
Cleaning in the infection control context refers to the mechanical removal of visible surface contaminants, soils, etc., usually with soap, water and enzymatic detergents, using hand scrubbing or more sophisticated cleaning machines such as ultrasonics. Cleaning is an essential element to any effective infection control procedure. You will find that while cleaning does remove soils and reduces microbial population, it won’t actually kill bacteria or viruses. Using the most thorough cleaning processes will still leaveUltrasonic Cleaner microorganisms on the surface of the item.
The use of an ultrasonic cleaner with detergents is able to dislodge fine particles from surfaces that may be inaccessible by physical scrubbing or brushing. It also provides significant benefits in time-savings and safety by minimizing handling by cleaning personnel. No matter how thorough, cleaning by itself is not enough to ensure that you won’t have any undesirable rogue micro-organisms at surface level. Most professional spa and salon operators engaged in pedis, manis, and hair styling need to be mindful of the fact that cleaning is merely the first step in their infection control process.
DISINFECTION
Disinfectants are products that are applied to inanimate surfaces or objects to kill many or all microorganisms except resistant bacterial spores. These products are often purchased in concentrated form and mixed with water to provide a use-strength solution that is effective. Many disinfectants don’t stand up well to dirt, so cleaning is an especially important first step. Some disinfectants are designed for a specific purpose, such as surfaces or instruments, so make sure you are familiar with all label information. All disinfectant products are categorized and regulated by the EPA as “pesticides”, so don’t be alarmed that you are using an especially toxic product. Disinfectants are poisons that kill organisms, so they should be handled carefully. Also, disinfectants are only effective when they are applied per instructions for the correct time period. If a surface disinfectant requires 5 minutes to be effective, it will not do its job if it dries on the counter or is wiped off in three minutes. Sanitizers are products that clean and disinfect. Certain disinfectant products can also be corrosive, so make sure the disinfectant you choose is appropriate for the items you intend to disinfect.
STERILIZATION
Sterilization is an extreme physical or chemical process that eliminates all forms of microbial life, including transmissible agents (such as fungi, bacteria, viruses, and all bacterial spore forms). Sterilization is required with any implement or tool that penetrates intact skin and contacts the vascular (blood)system and can be achieved by applying heat, chemicals, or irradiation (used for pre-sterilized items you may purchase. Once an item has been sterilized, all micro-organisms have been removed. Theoretically, if your sterilizer does its job, nothing survives sterilization.
Most applications in the salon or spa will require cleaning, sanitizing, and/ or disinfection. Make sure the products you use are diluted properly, are used for the proper exposure time, and are compatible with the implements or surfaces on which they are used.
Cheers

Back