What Is Edme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexbrand

Reaction score
Hi mates!

I recently read the word or acronym EDME or Edme. What does it mean? The expression occured with yeast and strain. I could not work it out... who can help, please?

Cheers,

Alex

Hi mates!

I recently read the word or acronym EDME or Edme. What does it mean? The expression occured with yeast and strain. I could not work it out... who can help, please?

Cheers,

Alex

hi, could it relate to the british malt company. they make liquid malt kits.

cheers
alan

EDME do infact make kits...

Why it often comes up in the same sentence as words like yeast and strain would be related to this

In particular, this section

Manufacturer: Fermentis
Strain: Safbrew S-33
Description: This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers, Trappist, etc.). Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 7.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

Notes:Reputed to be the same strain as the old EDME ale yeast.

Hope that helps.....And fear my google powers... :p

Essex Diastatic Malt Extract, the company was brought out by Wander in the late eighties, because they made some interesting malts like Tradi-Malt which was bright red.

Really miss those kits they were the best going.

MHB

Ahhh EDME. They used to do the most brilliant beer kits in the 1960s and 70s in Pomland. My Dad and I used to live on the stuff - the Lager particularly used to be far better than the awful UK lagers of the time like Harp and Carling Black Label.

The all purpose yeast in the blue and yellow packet was widely available in Australia in the late 70s and early 80s. So that's what happened to them, sad.

I came back from the Lake district after a holiday one year, with a few bottles from the Jennings Brewery of Cockermouth (still going) and cultured some yeast from one that had some sediment in the bottle, and we used it for several years... fabulous clean fermenting highly flocculating yeast, and we called the resulting beer "Jedme Lager" :)

The Edme home brewing section appears to have been taken over by Tom Caxton

http://www.tomcaxton.com/edme/products_microbrewery.htm

Tom Caxton in the UK would occupy about the same segment of the market as Coopers or Morgans do here, and I made some very nice beers of theirs but I doubt if their EDME brands nowadays are much like the old EDMEs.

Hi mates,

thanks for answering.... this helps me (an a fried) a lot.

I think all questions are clear now.

Alex

BTW: Matti? I never used DME in brewing, I do AG.... so may be that's one reason I never heard it as a term for "extra dry malt extract"... ;)

Hi mates,

thanks for answering.... this helps me (an a fried) a lot.

I think all questions are clear now.

Alex

BTW: Matti? I never used DME in brewing, I do AG.... so may be that's one reason I never heard it as a term for "extra dry malt extract"... ;)

:D
Wondering how you get Extra Dry Extract, maybe thats what Tooheys use????? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back