What Is Best Way To Reduce Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydneybrewer

Reaction score
hey guys,

i have been brewing for a few months now and have been experimenting with grains etc and i am now one purchase away from my first biab all grain brew, but there is one recurring problem with all my beers since i started using grain and switched to us-05 yeast (tragic apa fan here) is sediment in my bottles! it seems to have got a lot worse of late and comes out very cloudy when it is time to bottle and i am left with almost 1cm of sediment in the bottom of a standard coopers longneck. so i guess i am asking what is the best way to reduce sediment, i was thinking of buying a filter but was wondering if that would let any yeast through to carb up the bottles? and i dont really have the fridge space to cc a whole 25l coopers fermenter, plus have tried finnings and was greatly disapointed left 24hrs with finings in and and only a dif that i can notice of about a mil or 2 of sediment.

please any help or suggestions welcomed. even feel free to point and laugh lol.

cheers.

p.s not sure if its in the right thread but i figure this seems like the help section

Hi Syndeybrewer,

I've probably been brewing as long as you, and here's what I do. I also don't have a lot of room in my conditioning fridge, so I grabbed one of those 20L Willow jerry cans from Bunnings, and after fermentation has finished, I rack to that, leave it in the fridge for a day or 2, add finings, leave for at least 2 more days, then you're away. Bottle carbing can take a little longer, as there's less yeast to do the job, but it'll help!

Do you transfer to secondary? I find that if I transfer to secondary and add finnings alot of the yeast drops out and I only end up with a thin layer of yeast in the bottles.

Chilling is probibly the best way but....

Yes US -05 is a great little yeast but can be hard to clear compared to others.

I brew AG and my Method, with any yeast:

Ferment in primary for around 10 days in the case of an ale.
Rack to a 23 litre Willow Cube along with a dose of gelatine finings, and cold crash for another 10 days
Two days before kegging or bottling add Polyclar to reduce chill haze.

Keg or bottle.

The beer may appear crystal clear on bottling and you wonder how it is ever going to carb up, but it does - it does :icon_cheers:

The so called 20L Willow cube actually holds 23 litres when full and makes a perfect cold conditioning tank.

Racking_Vessels.JPG

You should end up with minimal sediment. edit: NME beat me to it :p

The simplest extra thing you can do is just leave it for longer in the fermenter. How long are you leaving it before bottling now? Try going to at least two weeks, and maybe up to three.

oh and yes i do have a secondary fermenter atm and have tried transfering off the yeast cake etc the only problem was though that it is another coopers fermenter that i got off a mate that gave up on brewing therefor i couldnt put that in the fridge either

The simplest extra thing you can do is just leave it for longer in the fermenter. How long are you leaving it before bottling now? Try going to at least two weeks, and maybe up to three.

Good advice!!

Different yeast strains require different lengths of time to finish off and drop out, or you can use refrigeration.

Screwy

With US-05 try 3 wks in primary
No secondary
No finings
No chilling
Use second fermentor to bulk prime
Wait a couple of wks for bottles to carb up and the sediment to settle out
:)

I use us05 a lot and I can hardly see anything in the bottom of my bottles unless I shake them, well under 1mm in a Coopers longneck. Everything gets 2 weeks in the primary at 18C then 22C for the last few days then straight into the keg/ bottles and always seems reasonably clear too. How long do you ferment in the primary? Maybe the problem is in the experimenting with grains department, I doubt you could get that much crud with a K&K if you tried. You doing partials or steeping specialty grains? When I starded brewing the bloke at brewcraft told me to boil the grain [caramunich] and strain into the fermenter. What have you been doing with the grain? Maybe not mashing long enough would cause this problem, do you iodine test after the mash?

Is your beer clear above the sediment? If so - try decanting your bottle into a 1L cold glass pitcher and forgedaboudit leaving it in the barrels for weeks.

I'm of the opinion that the more sediment in your bottles the quicker the beer is conditioned. Get rid of most of the yeast and the poor suckas have to breed up before they can eat all those nasty flavours that make "fresh" beer not as nice as two month old beer.

the beer above the sediment is very clear and very tasty, and it doesnt bother me at all just had a couple of mates turn their nose up at the sight of the sediment and prefer to stick with their "extra dry" insert shiver. i the one i have had the biggest problem with was a partial mash and dry hopped all of this combined with the us-05 has left very cloudy beer, it was also in primary for 10 days, as i dont like to leave it on the cake after fermentation is complete.

Is your beer clear above the sediment? If so - try decanting your bottle into a 1L cold glass pitcher and forgedaboudit leaving it in the barrels for weeks.

I'm of the opinion that the more sediment in your bottles the quicker the beer is conditioned. Get rid of most of the yeast and the poor suckas have to breed up before they can eat all those nasty flavours that make "fresh" beer not as nice as two month old beer.

I completely and utterly disagree. I rack, leave in secondary a week, fine and cold condition for all my beers and get very little sediment. I bottle. The longer conditioning time results in drinkable beer very quickly in most instances so really what I'm waiting for is carbonation. In warm weather that can be as little as 3 days.

Obviously beer dependent but beers that get better with age like my recent milk stout was still drinkable (and quite tasty) straight out of the fermenter.

@ OP: I think you've pretty much been given all the methods I know of - leave longer, rack, gelatine/isinglass and cold condition. I do all these and have very little problem with sediment. Obviously when you bottle, don't be tempted to squeeze out that last muddy 500 mL.

A few things you can try to clear up your beer before investing in filters:

- Kettle finings: Irish moss or equivalent. Helps precipitate out the "hot break" - proteins and hop debris in your kettle - at the end of the boil. Now that you're moving to grain brewing you'll end up with more organic goodies in the wort.

- Add lager finings like isinglass or gelatin in conjunction with transferring your beer to a secondary vessel. The secondary should preferably be a carboy or something that minimises the head space where your beer will be in contact with oxygen. Good idea getting it off the yeast, as the yeast will start to eat itself (autolysis) in the absence of fermentable sugars and skankify the beer.

- Take care when bottling that you don't draw off the trub at the bottom of the container. This might mean sacrificing a couple of litres. Consider it an offering to the beer gods.

- Find friends who aren't such godless heathens that they prefer Tooheys Dry to a well-made homebrew with a little Vitamin B in it! :icon_cheers:

the beer above the sediment is very clear and very tasty, and it doesnt bother me at all just had a couple of mates turn their nose up at the sight of the sediment and prefer to stick with their "extra dry" insert shiver. i the one i have had the biggest problem with was a partial mash and dry hopped all of this combined with the us-05 has left very cloudy beer, it was also in primary for 10 days, as i dont like to leave it on the cake after fermentation is complete.

I completely and utterly disagree. I rack, leave in secondary a week, fine and cold condition for all my beers and get very little sediment. I bottle. The longer conditioning time results in drinkable beer very quickly in most instances so really what I'm waiting for is carbonation. In warm weather that can be as little as 3 days.

Obviously beer dependent but beers that get better with age like my recent milk stout was still drinkable (and quite tasty) straight out of the fermenter.

@ OP: I think you've pretty much been given all the methods I know of - leave longer, rack, gelatine/isinglass and cold condition. I do all these and have very little problem with sediment. Obviously when you bottle, don't be tempted to squeeze out that last muddy 500 mL.

There you go, Sydneybrewer - Manitcle has put us right. What you need to do is leave longer, rack, gelatine/isinglass and cold condition.

Or just decant into another vessel. Much quicker IMHO.

How does decanting reduce the amount of sediment in his bottles? He didn't ask how to get less sediment in his glass.

Yes. There is a difference.

You must ferment in a ******* sphere because you have cut every corner possible.

Hey Bum - it's homebrew. It has sediment.

Decant it off and you can enjoy your beer.

If you don't want sediment - pull your bikini out of your buttcrack and go buy some Extra Dry.

And bum - don't be an asshole.

sydneybrewer, if you carefully drink from the bottle with a straw you can just drink the top half and throw the rest away. No need to faff about with this poofy improving-your-procedure bullshit. Don't brew smart - brew easy.

There you go, Sydneybrewer - Manitcle has put us right. What you need to do is leave longer, rack, gelatine/isinglass and cold condition.

Or just decant into another vessel. Much quicker IMHO.

I can disagree with you chief. No need to suggest I'm being dogmatic. Your experience counts for you right? Well mine counts for me. What sydneybrewer needs to do is read all these posts, try some stuff out for himself and see what works. Not listen to EITHER you OR me without question.

My above suggested processes were as much to do with maturation as clear beer (at least the leave and cold condition part). You said you had a theory that more sediment means ready for drinking quicker. My experience leads me to disagree.

I don't give you shit for you corner cutting experiments like some do. I may disagree - that's life but I disagree with respect. I'd ask the same from you.

Cheers.

Back