Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

$500 to spend on All Grain set up - WWYD?

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by HardKnockBrewing, 16/7/19.

1. Jack1984

Posted 27/7/19
    This is what I got and yet to use it. Screenshot_20190727-102042_Chrome.jpeg

trex_sami likes this.
  2. jsp1511

Posted 6/11/19
    I'm looking at something similar. Finally got approval from the Minister of finance to splurge on some new brew kit (time to jump from extract to BIAB/All Grain).

I'm looking at either a similar list to Jack1984 or the Grain'n'Grape BIAB kit - https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/pr...lectric-urn-biab-mashing-system-brew-in-a-bag

I've seen you can get a kit to convert a Digiboil into a Robobrew type device (but doesn't seem to be available very much) - anyone used one of those conversion kits before?

3. Schikitar

Posted 6/11/19
    I love my BIAB setup (Crown 40L urn) but there is one thing making me want to go down the Brewzilla/Guten path and that's the recirculation/sparge process. I would really like to improve my efficiency and filter out the trub a little better than what BIAB allows..

Don't get me wrong though, BIAB is a great start and it also allowed me to build a keggerator pretty cheaply and dispose of the bottles, that was a game changer! EDIT: It also freed up some cash to have a proper temp controlled chamber with a Fermzilla. If I do get something like a Brewzilla then I'll keep the Crown urn for sparging..

4. jsp1511

Posted 7/11/19 at 1:12 AM
    I'd been doing some read/watching on the all-in-one brewing systems - and their was one system that looks like it was available in the US that used an external pump for re-circulation (one end of hose on the outlet, and other just sits in the top of the urn). I'm assuming I could do something similar with the digiboil in the future if I wanted.

As nice as it would be, I don't see myself going down the keg route (I'm the only one in my house that drinks beer).

I'll go down the BIAB option now - and then later i want a grainfather/robobrew the Digiboil can be used for sparging

5. sp0rk

Mayor of Pooptown

Posted 7/11/19 at 9:33 AM
  6. jsp1511

Posted 7/11/19 at 10:46 AM
    Could it also be worth picking up a cheap esky to use a HLT for sparge water (boil some water in the urn, then transfer to HLT before starting the mash process) ? Seen a few similar to this for $20/$30 on facebook - https://www.bunnings.com.au/esky-15l-blue-keg_p3240514

7. Half-baked

Posted 8/11/19 at 4:15 AM
    Kmart does one pretty cheap. Probably not the best insulation but a yoga mat will fix that...