$500 to spend on All Grain set up - WWYD?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I got and yet to use it.
Screenshot_20190727-102042_Chrome.jpeg

I'm looking at something similar. Finally got approval from the Minister of finance to splurge on some new brew kit (time to jump from extract to BIAB/All Grain).

I'm looking at either a similar list to Jack1984 or the Grain'n'Grape BIAB kit - https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/pr...lectric-urn-biab-mashing-system-brew-in-a-bag

I've seen you can get a kit to convert a Digiboil into a Robobrew type device (but doesn't seem to be available very much) - anyone used one of those conversion kits before?

I love my BIAB setup (Crown 40L urn) but there is one thing making me want to go down the Brewzilla/Guten path and that's the recirculation/sparge process. I would really like to improve my efficiency and filter out the trub a little better than what BIAB allows..

Don't get me wrong though, BIAB is a great start and it also allowed me to build a keggerator pretty cheaply and dispose of the bottles, that was a game changer! EDIT: It also freed up some cash to have a proper temp controlled chamber with a Fermzilla. If I do get something like a Brewzilla then I'll keep the Crown urn for sparging..

I'd been doing some read/watching on the all-in-one brewing systems - and their was one system that looks like it was available in the US that used an external pump for re-circulation (one end of hose on the outlet, and other just sits in the top of the urn). I'm assuming I could do something similar with the digiboil in the future if I wanted.

As nice as it would be, I don't see myself going down the keg route (I'm the only one in my house that drinks beer).

I'll go down the BIAB option now - and then later i want a grainfather/robobrew the Digiboil can be used for sparging

This is what I got and yet to use it. View attachment 116175

How have you been finding this system? I have half a foot in all grain and have been debating between saving for a Guten system, or just getting a boiler and modifying an old esky for a mash tun. Though the jacket, false bottom and BIAB look tempting to reduce the vessel numbers and work load.

I’ve been doing BIAB in a crown urn and it’s stoopid easy and I make beers People seem really happy with. With wrapping the urn in a camping mat and some blankets it’ll hold temperature for 90 mins without any problem.
With cold crash with some gelatin my beers are always clear so I don’t think you are going to get much benefit out of the recirc. If you are hung up on efficiency then buy an extra 250g of grain.
With BIAB there No stuck sparges and cleaning is a doddle and less room for infections.
The only advantage I see with the pumped systems is better temp control on stepped mashes, but It’s never looked like a worthwhile payback for me.

I think you get better results in concentrating on the fermenting and packaging side.
ive got a brew tech brew bucket and it’s fantastic. but if you don’t have a fridge and temp controller I think you would be better off doing that and not worrying too much about the stainless yet. If you have a fridge then the stainless makes sense.
I’d get a couple of flasks and a stir plate to get a healthy yeast pitch. I’ve got half a dozen mason jars in the back of the fridge with different yeasts so that quickly pays for itself.
Kegs really are the next best and I’d much rather do that then spend money on mashing equipment.
less exposure to oxygen, less risk of infection and a heap less time spent through the process.

I’ve been doing BIAB in a crown urn and it’s stoopid easy and I make beers People seem really happy with. With wrapping the urn in a camping mat and some blankets it’ll hold temperature for 90 mins without any problem.
With cold crash with some gelatin my beers are always clear so I don’t think you are going to get much benefit out of the recirc. If you are hung up on efficiency then buy an extra 250g of grain.
With BIAB there No stuck sparges and cleaning is a doddle and less room for infections.
The only advantage I see with the pumped systems is better temp control on stepped mashes, but It’s never looked like a worthwhile payback for me.

I think you get better results in concentrating on the fermenting and packaging side.
ive got a brew tech brew bucket and it’s fantastic. but if you don’t have a fridge and temp controller I think you would be better off doing that and not worrying too much about the stainless yet. If you have a fridge then the stainless makes sense.
I’d get a couple of flasks and a stir plate to get a healthy yeast pitch. I’ve got half a dozen mason jars in the back of the fridge with different yeasts so that quickly pays for itself.
Kegs really are the next best and I’d much rather do that then spend money on mashing equipment.
less exposure to oxygen, less risk of infection and a heap less time spent through the process.
Thanks for that information. Super useful. I have ordered a DigiBoil Urn, a false bottom and a grain bag so looking forward to getting going on a full BIAB system.

Thanks for that information. Super useful. I have ordered a DigiBoil Urn, a false bottom and a grain bag so looking forward to getting going on a full BIAB system.
This is from a while ago, but can I ask what the false bottom added to your setup than without it? I thought that was to stop grains getting into the pump, but the Digiboil doesn't have one?

Latest posts

Back