What Is A Beer Nerd ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'm not a beer nerd then. I'd rather drink tooheys old on tap than whatever is in a bottle. Drinking beer from bottles in pubs is ridiculous.

Then ask for a glass and pour it in yourself. ('cause 10:1 the barman won't <_< )

What is really ridiculous is going to a brew pub and buying a bottled beer... double bad if it's a Corona with a slice of lemon stuck in the neck. (and they probably thought they were being sophisticated :rolleyes: )

Shouting at the kids for splashing in the bath because of HSA concerns.

Cheers,
smudge

Don't remember saying anything about drinking beer from bottles. Said drinking beer that is in bottles, as in comes in bottles, as in not on tap.

You'd rather drink bad beer than have something that came in a bottle? Why?

At a pub I'd rather drink the best tap beer available than the best bottled beer available. At most pubs I've been to the best beer on tap will be Tooheys Old, some pubs have better beers e.g. James Squire. The pubs that have Tooheys Old as their best tap beer probably have Corona or Crown Lager as their best bottled beer. Even if they had something a bit better I'd still rather drink the best draught beer any day. Bottled beer is good when drinking commercials at home or at bbqs or whatever, but not at pubs, in my opinion.

I reckon a beer that's normally pretty crappy will taste better on tap than something a bit better in a bottle. If the tap beer is XXXX or VB or Tooheys New I'd rather just leave the place all together.

At a pub I'd rather drink the best tap beer available than the best bottled beer available. At most pubs I've been to the best beer on tap will be Tooheys Old, some pubs have better beers e.g. James Squire. The pubs that have Tooheys Old as their best tap beer probably have Corona or Crown Lager as their best bottled beer. Even if they had something a bit better I'd still rather drink the best draught beer any day. Bottled beer is good when drinking commercials at home or at bbqs or whatever, but not at pubs, in my opinion.

I reckon a beer that's normally pretty crappy will taste better on tap than something a bit better in a bottle. If the tap beer is XXXX or VB or Tooheys New I'd rather just leave the place all together.

i agree, wont drink bottled beer at a pub, dont know why, no real reason that i can think of just cant bring myself to go a bottle over the tap regardless of what beer it is.

now that i have my keg setup i dont drink bottled beer at home either :icon_cheers:

cheers
carty

Glad someone agrees.

I guess it's like eating ice cream when out and about, I'll always take a scoop on a cone rather than buy a magnum or something like that, even if the magnum is technically better and is made by monks in some wanky euro country.

Well, drinking from the bottle at home is silly as well- you lose out on aroma!

Explaining to some good beer newbs that you should use a glass to appreciate the aroma of the beer.

They pour their megaswill into a glass and exclaim "this smells like Shit!" :(

i agree, wont drink bottled beer at a pub, dont know why, no real reason that i can think of just cant bring myself to go a bottle over the tap regardless of what beer it is.

You have to drink Bottled beer at 1 pub in my town as the beer is flat on tap, it has to far to travel to the tap.. :huh:

Doesnt really matter, dont drink at pubs anyhow, beer on tap in my house.. And better... :chug:

Hate to mention it,but can't bottled beer be poured into a glass?

I know I don't pay $7 plus per imported 330ml or even local micro "to swig outta the bottle"

But I suppose having a glass per every beer style,makes me a beer nerd :icon_cheers:

I felt a bit nerdy today I took a bottle of my hefe weiss beer to work for a guy from Bavaria to try.

He recons it was right on the mark, reminded him of home and he even asked if i could bring in a few more bottles so he can take them home.

I was beaming with pride as I thought I made that

however, he won't be getting any more of my beer - it's just to good to share with a "non brewer"

Hate to mention it,but can't bottled beer be poured into a glass?

true that brother but as mark ******* said

"Don't remember saying anything about drinking beer from bottles. Said drinking beer that is in bottles, as in comes in bottles, as in not on tap."

i know for me its really just a silly thing, if the bar staff poured a beer from the bottle into a glass and served it to me rather than from the keg and i didnt see them do it i honestly couldnt tell the difference but its just a thing i have, the love of having a beer from tap, of course this was before i got my own keg setup and started getting deeper into home brew so it will be interesting to see if my anti bottle stance remains in the future. perhaps if im faced with the decision of coopers lager on tap or say blue tongue lager in a bottle, maybe i will go the blue tongue over the coopers

mmmmmmmm blue tongue

cheers
carty

I felt a bit nerdy today I took a bottle of my hefe weiss beer to work for a guy from Bavaria to try.

He recons it was right on the mark, reminded him of home and he even asked if i could bring in a few more bottles so he can take them home.

I was beaming with pride as I thought " I made that"

however, he won't be getting any more of my beer - it's just to good to share with a "non brewer"

I feel much the same now....mmm thats nice,could you make me a keg of that?Sure come over and help make it.

I can't I'm too busy....shit me too!

If they only knew the passion/time that goes into every brew.

mmmmmmmm blue tongue

your joking arnt you?

They use amarillo in a pilsner for god sake! That should be illegal! How to ruin a pilsner! someone shoud sell them some saaz

I have been and drank their beer from the tap the the brewery in the hunter valley and found it bland and boring.

And even worse....... they are now owned by cocacola!

so.................

if you like that............ i guess you are a beer nerd :unsure: cause IMO there not cool

your joking arnt you?

They use amarillo in a pilsner for god sake! That should be illegal! How to ruin a pilsner! someone shoud sell them some saaz

I have been and drank their beer from the tap the the brewery in the hunter valley and found it bland and boring.

And even worse....... they are now owned by cocacola!

so.................

if you like that............ i guess you are a beer nerd :unsure: cause IMO there not cool

he he he

knowing all the ingredients in each beer, even the ones you dont like and being offended by the use of amarillo in a pisner, that is being a beer nerd!

well i like it so there :p

cheers
carty

If they only knew the passion/time that goes into every brew.

I haven't made a brew for more than 6 months (forgive me all mighy god) but I do understand the passion involved.

Long live the BREW :beer: .

cheers

darren

Latest posts

Back