What Infection Do I Have

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a Brew in the fermenter at the moment, Its AndrewQLD's cooper clone.

Last night after seven days at 18 deg i took a gravity reading, it's down to 1007(all good).

So i decided to have a little taste,(not good) it has a sour acidy after taste. Not a big strong off taste but comes into it at the end.
So i had to have another taste i got a cup and drained some out of the fermenter into it and had a taste,still the same.
What should i do, dump it know,
let it ferment out and taste,
Or rack into secondary and dry hop with somethink like cascade to try and mask the taste a bit.
than Bottle and leave for a couple of months to see if it mellows.

ideas. <_<

Do you think it would of come from my process of reculturing coopers bottle yeast

recultured coopers yeast can throw banana or pear flavours depending on ferment temp or high ferment temps can increase acetaldehyde (correct spelling??) which gives green apple flavours.

strong off smells and flavours useally result from infections but other things can cause odd flavours.

Are you able to descrbe the flavour/ smell a bit more as that might help some of the members help you out a bit more

Cheers

edit: ftfngrs ;)

recultured coopers yeast can throw banana or pear flavours depending on ferment temp or high ferment temps can increase acetaldehyde (correct spelling??) which gives green apple flavours.

strong off smells and flavours useally result from infections but other things can cause odd flavours.

Are you able to descrbe the flavour/ smell a bit more as that might help some of the members help you out a bit more

Cheers

edit: ftfngrs ;)

I might try it again to night when i get home, and see if can describe it a bit better.
It has been in a fridge with temp control on 17to 18 deg the whole time.

Sour + Acid ~ Lactic Acid... which can come from a lactobacillus infection.

Stressed yeast can also throw off some sourness. Maybe the yeast got stressed in your culturing process.

No way to know for sure without lab testing.

Kabooby :)

Hi guys, I have a Brew in the fermenter at the moment, Its AndrewQLD's cooper clone.

Last night after seven days at 18 deg i took a gravity reading, it's down to 1007(all good).

So i decided to have a little taste,(not good) it has a sour acidy after taste. Not a big strong off taste but comes into it at the end.
So i had to have another taste i got a cup and drained some out of the fermenter into it and had a taste,still the same.
What should i do, dump it know,
let it ferment out and taste,
Or rack into secondary and dry hop with somethink like cascade to try and mask the taste a bit.
than Bottle and leave for a couple of months to see if it mellows.

ideas. <_<

1.007 is a bit low. What was the start gravity??

cheers

Darren

that's a reasnonable drop to Fg.

a high attenuation or exceptionally low FG is a sign of infection, just doesnt clue you in to which infection you're trying to eradicate :icon_cheers:

Don't be too hasty. The coopers yeast has very high attenuation, I often get down to 1.005 after after less than a week. That's why coopers is quite dry.

I also find it needs at least another week either in Primary or secondary to clean up some of the 'interesting" flavours that are created during primary ferment.

It was 1.043

The sour/acidic taste does sound a lot like a lactic infection.

Alas, covering up the flavour with more hops won't really help in the long run. The lactics will slowly convert your alcohol to acetic acid making it more sour and less alcoholic.

Time for a big spring clean of your equipment.....

Any way last night i racked to secondary fermenter and throw in 10g of cascade(see how it tastes)
Had a look in the first fermenter, nothing out of the ordinary with the yeast cake, no mould, or any other visable sign of infection.
Had a smell nothing out of the ordinary smelt fine, but that sour sort of after taste is still there. It's a sourly tangy type of taste that lingers on your tongue after you have swallowed it.
Well i will see how it goes after another week. maybe it is from my yeast reculturing process.
I gave the fermenter, tap and all other gear a good clean & soak with PBW after all that.

interesting that the taste is there but not much smell - possibly a yeast thing.

Now I dont know the recipe for the clone so wondering if there is anything in there that might give a sour taste - high proportion of wheat for example??

sounds like its a keeper but it would be nice to find out what caused it to try and avoid it in the future because it sounds like a taste you dont like.

Having said that, cascade can throw some fairly strong citrussy flavours which I quite enjoy during summer but they dont fit well in winter so I usually make adjustments to keep me happy

What like keeping Butters away from the brewery... he is such a grubby mess bloke I don't blame you :ph34r:

Chap Chap :icon_cheers:

easy for you to say - he turned up last night. I guess I'm going to need to get some razor wire and build a fence :eek:

interesting that the taste is there but not much smell - possibly a yeast thing.

Now I dont know the recipe for the clone so wondering if there is anything in there that might give a sour taste - high proportion of wheat for example??

sounds like its a keeper but it would be nice to find out what caused it to try and avoid it in the future because it sounds like a taste you dont like.

Having said that, cascade can throw some fairly strong citrussy flavours which I quite enjoy during summer but they dont fit well in winter so I usually make adjustments to keep me happy

I have made this recipe before and never had a problem,always tasted fine.

I have made this recipe before and never had a problem,always tasted fine.

Sounds like its time to pull everthing apart and give it a good clean just in case, just to ease the paranoia (we've all been there!)

I'd keep this 1 and see if it gets worse (infections always get worse).

Wish I could have been more help

Sounds like its time to pull everthing apart and give it a good clean just in case, just to ease the paranoia (we've all been there!)

I'd keep this 1 and see if it gets worse (infections always get worse).

Wish I could have been more help

Thanks for all the input.
I will keep it and bottle next week,leave it a few weeks and crack one and see how it goes.

Back