What I Like Most About Ahb!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learning to AG brew by distance education
Great advice
Salvaging another brewer's AG gear to make the jump from K&K (thanks Dicko)
Great people always ready to share the "wealth"

Cheers

Phil

what I like most about AHB

People who dont make "Where's the poll" comments & dont make 'gravel' jokes

Pumpy :(

Ahhhh yes this is beter :)

Grumpys forum (before the spammers and trolls murdered it pre-registration and everyone except stagga came here) was great. very simple no frills forum with lots of good people, information and fun times.

Then i came to Aussie home brewer and a new wealth of knowledge....... all 415 of them and a few familiaf faces from Grumpys.

I never looked back. The people here were so helpful when i was starting AG, and yes i got told to use the search function back then too, that will never change. I say dont stress and ask anyway.

More than a forum....... more a comunity of people passionate about brewing, weather they are learning to brew with kits or been knocking out award winning AG beer for years. The few scraps aside and that will happen, its a great place to come, read, learn, comment, share, help, correct spelling or have a laugh. Thats what i like about AHB.

I also love its local networking capabilities. I have since met a lot of local and not so local brewersand had some good times. I have taken great pleasure in entertaining new brewers on brew days to help them get a handle on the whole scariness that is moving to AG. I remember the fear of the unknown well. I remember making phone calls to GT (TDH on here) when he was at Grumpys mid mash asking what to do next.

I remember one local fella comming over and watching an AG brew. He stated that night that he was happy with his kits and was getting what he wanted from them. But this beer you have on tap tony........ its f#%ken tops! Last time i dropped round to his place he had one of the nicest AG pilsners on tap ive tried. Helping people acheive something rewarding and provide some help that was lacking in my garage when i started is very rewarding

I now like to help out where i can with information and knowledge from my experience, Kit to AG.

Its a good place to be

Grumpys forum (before the spammers and trolls murdered it pre-registration and everyone except stagga came here) was great. very simple no frills forum with lots of good people, information and fun times.

I think the thing with Grumpys was because it had a lot smaller membership, it had more of a "family" feel to it.
I t really was a great forum, and I still get emails from some of the blokes that made it as good as it was.
Some of the stuff that came up on there, well, outragous would be putting it mildly. :lol:

staggalee.

What do I like about AHB. The fact that I am drinking brews that I enjoy and saving money doing it (thanks to the sponsers).
The advice here has been fantastic and quickly got me from kits, to extract with speciality grains. This is where I am now and loving all the flavours using different hops and grains.
Dunno if I will ever venture into all grain because I am getting more and more ideas for extract brews from here.
Next will be a Gold ale thanks to Dr Smurto and others input into JSGA clone threads. I made an amber ale with amarillo as the bittering hop and loved so really looking forward to trying this.

Cheers

I now like to help out where i can with information and knowledge from my experience, Kit to AG.

Its a good place to be

As we receive, so shall we give. :rolleyes:

I stumbled along here in March this year, so I'm pretty new, but the effect of the forum and where it has taken me in the last 6 months has been fairly signficant. I have learn't a lot and have opened my mind to exploring the possibilities. I used to think that all grain was too hard.

I was lucky enough to brew today, a Newcastle brown ale of sorts. Devised the recipe, crushed the grains, mashed the grains, boiled the wort--no way had I thought I could do that 8 months ago. The shed still smells great :)

cheers

grant

I love the fact that any level of question can be asked, at anytime of the day, and it is answered with as much knowledge as the person can share.... Experienced, knowledgeable brewers taking the time to help out a noob who's airlock isn't bubbling in 24hr OR FG seems high.... All without, well sometimes, too much ridicule. And vice versa, a noob sharing some thoughts that may shed an angle of thought needed!

I guess it is appropriate thread for thanks, so I wanna give mine to all that have helped me thus far... sometimes just a reply even if not THAT helpful helps you by making you think a bit more and therefore helps :blink:

Anyway, overall I think AHB is possibly the best forum on the web!!

Oh, and most the time a hell a good laugh!

Keep it up guys!

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

BTW: I also appreciate the lack of attention paid to obviously drunken stupor post!! :rolleyes:

I think the thing with Grumpys was because it had a lot smaller membership, it had more of a "family" feel to it.
I t really was a great forum, and I still get emails from some of the blokes that made it as good as it was.
Some of the stuff that came up on there, well, outragous would be putting it mildly. :lol:

staggalee.

Remember the races to the 100th post, and the 200th post and the power that came with being the winner. We would sit up all night waiting each other out. It became a pschic out game. great fun.

BTW: I also appreciate the lack of attention paid to obviously drunken stupor post!! :rolleyes:

Hope your not refering to my grom"m"et piss take........... i was sober! :lol:

The Great people , some of those that migrated from Grumpy's ( about time you got your arse on here Stagga )

The fun

The polls..

The fact that any question can be asked without fear... even beer related .. :p

And

The QLD Swap meet..... :ph34r:

In fear that it has been asked and that so many people get annoyed at people asking the same questions and not knowing how to use the search function properly, where are these photo's of Ross's bar which ive been hearing so much about lately on AHB? I'm keen to have a looksie

Sponge

Here's the thread. Be warned that there are few real pictures of people in front of Ross' bar- though some of the photoshop jobs were quite funny. Also: the thread needed more gravel.

Where's the poll? :ph34r:

Most forums have more than their fair share of idiots. AHB has just the expected amount.

Agreed :D

I have to agree with pretty much every post I've read here. AHB is just a goldmine of info and help with anything to do with HB. Great way to kill time at work. I like PP's rants the most.

If only we could have some AHB glasses.... (here we go!) LOL

B) I respect the members i have PM'D for their knowledge as well as the comradery that a forum like this place creates!!

There is another aussie website with that similar 'feel'. A few others on here have found it. I've found the 2 sites complement each other very well, with the general 'feel' of this site more in the field of AG. Which is great for me as I prepare to make "The Step" :)

If it wasn't for AHB I wouldn't have got a keg set up at home and currently be able to drink beer from the tap. I'd also be far more lost in the art of homebrewing and would have most likely just chucked another kilo of white sugar in the fermentor and wonder why the beer doesn't quite taste like it should.
OMFG never a truer statement-got back into brewing 6 months ago(on our 32nd brew now)because we love our beer its a godsend financially.I am finally starting to develop a taste for "good"beer!!The people here are always ready to help.This is the only forum where no-body is negative that I visit.I am always lurking but rarely posting but this doesnt stop ppl from not
flaming me when I ask already asked questions.All in all this is a forum where like minded ppl enjoy the finer points of something that is close to all of our hearts-BEER :party: :rolleyes: :D

Once you really get into brewing the amount you'll spend on bling will make the money saving argument redundant. But it will be your obsession, and that always justifies the cost! ;)

WHat can I say if it wasn't for AHB i would know SFA about brewing. (Come to think of it I still know SFA about brewing but at least now I know that much.............) :D

Back